Thread: Third Man Theme

Default Third Man Theme

Has anyone ever played the Third Man Theme/ Do you know where I could get the music for it?

Default Re: Third Man Theme

Get it off YOUTUBE and play it by ear...

This brings back fond memories! Back in the early 80s I had a regular Sat. night gig at an Italian restaurant. A guitarist and I strolled from room to room in this old Victorian house and played standards and took requests (and tips). The Third Man Theme was one of our staples. Everyone recognized it and could hum along.

I learned the tune from a great fakebook called The Ultimate Fake Book, now published by Hal Leonard. It has literally hundreds of standards with melodies and basic chords. None of these hip jazz re-harmonizations here. The tune is so simple and repetitious that when the harmony finally changes slightly in the last eight measures it's almost exciting!

You can get the book from Amazon for only $31:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Fake-.../dp/0793529395

"When a zither starts to play, you'll remember yesterday ...."

John G.

There's a mandolin arrangement in Sheri Mignano's book "Mandolin Melodies", which you can get as PDF on CD from Elderly or form Sheri directly here.

Martin

Thank you Martin for the reminder. The version in Sheri's book is far superior to the Ultimate Fake Book abbreviated one. It includes (I think) the whole piece plus essential bass runs, etc. Mandolin Memories is a great book and I would have loved to have had it in those old strolling restaurant musician days.

John G.

Thanks alot

You can get score and parts for mandolin orchestra from Trekel
    www.trekel.de
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

I know this is a Music sight, but I have to say the Third Man is one of my all-time favorite movies. I watch it every year.

I've seen it on the big screen as well as the small screen. The cuckoo clock rap by Orson Wells to Joseph Cotton is the greatest. When my wife & I were in Vienna I had to find a couple of Third Man sights(the Ferris Wheel). Anyway I love the flick. If you haven't seen it do so. The Criterion collection has a nice version w/ both opening narrations to choose from.