Thread: Schertler or AKG C411 pick-up?

I'm needing to purchase a pick-up and I'm looking at the Schertler and the AKG C411. Can anyone compare these two pick-ups and give me some feedback. Looks like I could get the AKG for about half the cost of the Schertler. Will I need a pre-amp with these pick-ups? If so, what do you recommend I purchase? Thanks!
    I never wanted them all, Just the ones I wanted.....

This topic has been discussed a couple times recently. #I have no experience with the Schertler but from what I've read, if you can afford it, it's the way to go. #I believe it has these features: It adhears to the mando top with a re-useable putty. it has an attached cable that terminates to an xlr mic connector and can be run into a mixer with no need for an additional preamp (although Schertler makes a preamp to go with it). #No phantom power is needed. #It requires a line transformer to connect it to a 1/4" guitar amp input.

I do, however, have the AKG C-411 and like it a lot. #It also adhears to the top with a re-useable putty that is thick and black and quite sticky (looks like tar but removed just fine with a little care). #It also has an attached cable that terminates to an xlr mic connector. #It DOES require phantom power as it is actually a condensor mic. #It can run straight into a mixer with no other preamp as long as the mixer can provide the phantom power. It has a great sound that really does the trick for me. #Others on this board have a similar opinion.

Bottom line, I think either is a good choice but if you have the bucks, go with the Schertler... you won't be dissapointed!

Good luck,
    Doug

Ben, I used the AKG on mando, bouzoukis and guitar and found it a little difficult on instruments with floating bridges. If you place it direct on the top it don't captures the sound compltely, the best place is always on the bridge. I had the best results on fixed, guitar-like bridges, maybe because the contact is better and because of the tonal character of these instruments. My carved top mando sounds much to hard, the whole bottom end is away and the highs are pircing. The AKG is a contact condensor mike and needs no preamp. You can go direct to the PA. The Schertler is a moving coil system and you don't need a preamp, but they offer one for some situations. The whole system is very expensiv and good sounding, better than AKG. But is AKG is good for the price, in ny opinion.

Regards
    Michael

I like my Schertler, for the few times I've used it.
    (no gigs)
    With my Lebeda [A/B comparison with an in-bridge piezo, runnerup piezo is, now, used only for a tuner signal.
    Redundancy created: sold off the Godin A8, which cost me as much as the pickup.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Schertler all the way..with the PRE-AII(also by shertler).
    Killer combo and you are in complete control of your sound.
    Works great!
    Anthony
    www.hickoryproject.com