Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $3500

Default $3500

That is essentially what I will have to spend.

Recommendations?

I am thinking Gibson F-9 or Eastman MD915. I absolutely loved an $800 dollar Eastman I played and can only imagine how good their top model is. Open to suggestions. I play bluegrass, but in my free time and when I am picking my the song to play I cover rock songs and play a lot of blues and mixolydian. I also like picking some classical stuff like Bach and Beethoven.

Who has suggestions for what they would get?

Default Re: $3500

You have a lot of options for $3500. Do you want to buy new or used? F-style or A-style? Have you browsed the classifieds here? It's the best mandolin shop on the planet!

I have a Weber Bitterroot that is well below you budget. There are are lots of really nice mandolins in that price range. I have noticed the higher end Eastman and Kentuckys dont move all that well. You may be able to get a good deal on one.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    I have a Weber Bitterroot that is well below you budget. There are are lots of really nice mandolins in that price range. I have noticed the higher end Eastman and Kentuckys dont move all that well. You may be able to get a good deal on one.
    How much work did you need to do on your Weber before it played like you wanted it to? My dorm is 5 mins from a Weber dealer and every one he gets there has, to be frank, sucked. He does have an A-Style Bitterroot now that is good, but not under any circumstances worth 2000 bucks. Not trying to bash Weber, but I have been really disapointed with them.

F-Style is preferred, but if an A-style was to just blow my mind with playability and sound, I would get it.

There is a Kimble A for $2600 on the classified page right now. Looks like a hell of a bargain to me.

You can get a Collings varnished MT2 in that range and it should blow your mind with playability and sound. If you have to have an F-style, a Collings MF would be in that range too. Of course there are a lot of smaller builders that would work as well. Greg Boyd has a nice looking Brentrup A5 in that range. You can find Givens in that range. A Phoenix two point can be had for around $2500, give or take. Lots and lots of options.......

My Weber doesn't suck or I wouldn't have bought it. The luthier set it up and it plays well the harder you play it the louder it gets. I played a couple of Kentucky 1000 in same shop it they really didn't hold a candle to this one. Some people dont care for the Weber tone. I like it and I really like there customer service .

i would recomend a copperhead f-5 from jason harshbarger. hands down one of the top 5 mandolins i've played and he has a used one for sale. They are definately life time mandolins, as in no need for upgrade. pm me if you want price, pics, etc its well under your price point.

Registered User thejamdolinplayer's Avatar

Get a Collings MT.. I sold mine and I wish I still had it now... I compared it to the mf5, a stiver, wade and it holds its ground against em all sound wise. Now, if you want something with a little more cosmetic appeal maybe you should look else where, but sound wise it is a beast!

$3500 will get you a very nice used Phoenix. Or any number of others. Or, if you like variety, and it seems you do, you could spend $2500 on a good used F (or a better A), and another $1000 on a Peterson Octave.

swain
    Vega F
    pacrim A
    Weber YS
    Peterson Octave
    misc guitars, mostly forgotten

Check out Northfield, if you can. They're only available at Elderly, however. I've played 5 of them and quite frankly, find them to be an incredible value. I saw the Boxcars a couple of weeks ago, and Adam Steffey played the show with one and raved about it. I don't know how they do it...2 G's for a varnished F-5 that sounds THAT good.
    Tony Szczygielski

There are some nice F-5's out on the cafe classifieds that should do nicely. Couple of Collings MF's for sale, one at $2600. At least one Gibson F-5G and Charles Johnson has a beautiful F-5G for sale (you can negotiate with him). Plus, don't overlook that Bluett F-5! My first mando was a Bluett and it was great. Feel free to offer less than the seller is asking - it is a buyer's market right now.
    2001 Gibson Master Model F5 #V70311
    1996 Heiden F-5 #F-023
    2009 Stanley V-5 #44

Blog Entries

Re: Eastmans. Their 900 series may not sound substantially better than their other models. If it were me, with that budget, I would consider the used Kimble, Collings MT (I was that impressed with the power of the one I played), or a new John Hamlett A style. Seriously, you have a TON of great options. I've never played a Kimble or Hamlett but would have either on reputation alone. I'm sure either could make the neck shape that I prefer.

With that kind of money available, it really might be worth your time to visit a store with a broad selection and try as many as possible to see what fits.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    , or a new John Hamlett A style.

Jamie
    That would be my choice.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I'd get one of these.

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

Hi Nota...You could come very close to getting a Silverangel distressed F-model for that price. See the Silverangel Myspace site in my signature block...
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

My suggestion would be a late 70's era Givens that Kevin Douglas (Mandomutt.com) has. I owned one for 25 years. They're great mandolins and constantly increasing in value. It's right at your price point.

My Weber doesn't suck or I wouldn't have bought it. The luthier set it up and it plays well the harder you play it the louder it gets. I played a couple of Kentucky 1000 in same shop it they really didn't hold a candle to this one. Some people dont care for the Weber tone. I like it and I really like there customer service .
    I am not trying to hate on your Weber, man.

I recently acquired a Givens A3 that I am nuts about. It is seriously loud with lots of punch and pop and cuts very, very well in a jam. I don't know anything about the Givens in the classifieds but I would certainly recommend you consider a Givens A.

Quote Originally Posted by D C Blood View Post
    Hi Nota...You could come very close to getting a Silverangel distressed F-model for that price. See the Silverangel Myspace site in my signature block...
    Wow, those are some good looking mandolins. Might have to save up for a little longer lol I love distressed models.

Everybody dislikes one brand or another. When I spoke to the guys at the big mandolin store in Az. They tried to steer me away from the imports. They actually recommended the Webers.You can see my mandolin in the picture area in the forums. For god sake dont say you hate Gibsons it wouldn't go well. I bought my mandolin from a local luthier who set it up to my liking. I would suggest the same if possible.

Everybody dislikes one brand or another. When I spoke to the guys at the big mandolin store in Az. They tried to steer me away from the imports. They actually recommended the Webers.You can see my mandolin in the picture area in the forums. For god sake do say you hate Gibsons it wouldn't go well. I bought my mandolin from a local luthier who set it up to my liking. I would suggest the same if possible.
    I will keep that in mind, because I do love their sound. I am just wary of buying one that seems like it will need a lot more money put into it to make it worth my while. And these seem like they do. I don't know what their deal is lol

Scroll through this page, there are many in your price range.
    http://www.vintagemandolin.com/instr...onf5g_90304019

That's a nice budget to work with. My choices for consideration would include: Gibson F5G used, Collings MF, Daley std. F, & Sumi era KM1000 or KM1500. If your not limiting yourself to an F5 style, then that increases you choices further.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band