Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $3500

Default Re: $3500

Pickin' Porch Music in Pickles Gap (just north of Conway) is in your area, give 'em a call. They usually have a couple of good ones. I'm not sure when the fiddlers convention is in Harrison, February probably. LLoyd LaPlant is usually there with his son and a couple of MONSTER mandolins. I'll always regret not having the dough in '04. I also strongly suggest you call Morgan Music in Lebanon, Mo.
    It's not a bad drive from Harrison, they have nice stuff, and they can be trusted.
    Mike Snyder

Since you mention an F-9, you're already thinking that way. I second the motion because I was in your shoes and did just that. Couldn't be happier!

Find a nice used Gibbson F5G and put $ 500 back in your pocket

With that amount to spend, I'd go to a good shop (like Mandolin Brothers, Acoustic Music Works, or something similar), and play every mando they had. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 (assuming you liked that many), and then the hard part - make a choice of just 1. I ended up with a Collings MT doing this (although I went in wanting one anyway), but the MT2O and a Breedlove Alpine were close contenders. And it's a great way to spend a day. Take a musician friend, and have fun.

[QUOTE=Marcus CA;786268]Your dorm??? If you're in college and can afford to spend $3,500 on a mandolin, you truly are unusually fortunate.

QUOTE]

I am graduating. This is my savings gift to me. With my parents chipping in a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    Pickin' Porch Music in Pickles Gap (just north of Conway) is in your area, give 'em a call. They usually have a couple of good ones. I'm not sure when the fiddlers convention is in Harrison, February probably. LLoyd LaPlant is usually there with his son and a couple of MONSTER mandolins. I'll always regret not having the dough in '04. I also strongly suggest you call Morgan Music in Lebanon, Mo.
    It's not a bad drive from Harrison, they have nice stuff, and they can be trusted.
    I don't think Pickin Porch is there anymore. I was going to stop by there the other day and it was nowhere to be found. Maybe I am blind though lol

Quote Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
    With that amount to spend, I'd go to a good shop (like Mandolin Brothers, Acoustic Music Works, or something similar), and play every mando they had. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 (assuming you liked that many), and then the hard part - make a choice of just 1. I ended up with a Collings MT doing this (although I went in wanting one anyway), but the MT2O and a Breedlove Alpine were close contenders. And it's a great way to spend a day. Take a musician friend, and have fun.
    This is what I will do. Morgan Music in lebanon sounds like the place I need to stop by.

I second Morgan Music...2 hours north of you. Alvin has some used Gibson and Collings and you won't beat his price anywhere. Give him a call before you go, he is very helpful.
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

formerly OldDirtyTurtle Jason Kindall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NotACreativeName View Post

I am graduating. This is my savings gift to me. With my parents chipping in a bit as well.
    Go for it and enjoy it.

I remember when I graduated from college. I went from having a hard butt and a fat wallet to quite the opposite. That's when I bought my nicest guitar with money I'd saved working on a fire crew with the USFS.

Quote Originally Posted by NotACreativeName View Post
    Get the $800 Eastman and use the rest to pay off some of your student loan debt!

Lots of good choices out there, especially with used instruments. Road trip!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Pickles gap shop is definitely closed. It is now a uhaul office. The best place to try a nice selection of mandos us Janet Davis just north of Fayettville. JD is a sponsor on this site and has a nice web site also. I happen to prefer the tone of a Weber. They have a nice selection to help form your opinions.

If you go to Janet Davis, play the Weber Bighorn mandola. D hole, awesome. Alvin Deskins at Morgan Music is THE man. He went to bat for me in a warranty deal. A big name mando outfit wanted to lowball me. His customers come first.
    Mike Snyder

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Mandolin Store has commissioned a new Special Edition Gibson F-9. Dennis has announced this to those on his mailing list, but I'm not sure the Cafe audience is aware of this new model. The Gibson F-9 Custom Mandolin Store model will be finished in burst matte. The Top, Neck, and Headstock will be single bound. The Peghead will feature the Gibson script in MOP. These will be available in either the Sam Bush (Wide Neck) and traditional Loar style neck. I'm not completely sure what the pricing is going to be, but I think I remember around $3,800 list from Dennis. The Nashville boys have really stepped up their game (IMHO), as the recent ones I've played are really spectacular instruments. Good luck, you've got a wide field to choose from in that price range.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)