Thread: Traveling with two instruments...

Default Traveling with two instruments...

Has anyone ever traveled with two instruments? Say a mandolin and violin? I really don't want to check either one, but I'm concerned that both may not fit in the overhead compartments. Just curious if the violin or mandolin will fit under the sit in front of me. I'm going to Kaufman Kamp and I'm thinking of taking them with me, instead of shipping them to picklosr (still may have to), who has graciously said she would bring it to Kamp for me. I really don't want to be without my violin for any period of days, I still need to practice/play. Things like that need to be shipped ground too(overnight would be a killer in price). So any input you all have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

Default Re: Traveling with two instruments...

I am a double case advocate -- it has made my life much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan H. View Post
    ...Just curious if the violin or mandolin will fit under the sit in front of me...
    For what it's worth, a Texas fiddle player that I know used to be an airlines VP.
    When he flew he felt that he had to strictly adhere to the company regulations. He found that when out of the case the fiddle met the airlines size limitations. So, he put the fiddle (not in the case) under his seat. I believe he may have checked the case as baggage.

Just a thought...

Paul Glasse
    Austin Texas
    http://paulglasse.com

Better check with your carrier. I know that Continental restricts passengers to 1 carry-on for international flights. It used to be that you were allowed an personal carry-on and an instrument but no longer.
    Marc B.

After having traveled around the USA and to and from Asia many times with one or two instruments, I'd ship at least one instrument to picklosr. Whether an instrument (or anything else) will fit in the overhead depends on the particular airplane and how crowded it is. Once I ended up needing to gate check an instrument because the plane and the overheads where simply too full. Forget the under-the-seat space, except for an uncased fiddle. If the instrument is in checked luggage, there's no guarantee it will arrive at the same time and place as you.
    Been there, done that, trust FedEx. Enjoy the Kamp.

swain

Blog Entries

YES!!! Bwah hah ha. I've been wanting a fiddle. Looks like I'll I'll have one soon.

(April Fools, Susan. I'll take good care of it, if you--heh heh heh--send it to me. )

I think some airlines have rules specific to musical instruments. Here are Delta's Rules.

I have a double tennis racket case and put my mandolin in its case in it when I last traveled. I ma not sure how a violin would work unless you have a small shaped case.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

A fiddle and mandolin are small enough that you shouldn't have any trouble (assuming you'll be on a full-sized plane and not a puddle jumper). Now that most airlines charge for checked bags, overhead space could be a problem. Do what you have to do to get on the plane before it's full. Also put them in the overhead across the aisle from your seat so you can see when your fellow passengers try to crush them and holler.

If you check with the airline, they'll probably tell you one carry-on and one personal item. They intend the personal item to be a purse, laptop or similar, but in my experience it can be anything. A gate attendant told me once that if you put your keys in something, it's an acceptable personal item. A good way to find out what the real policy is at the gate is to talk to someone who has flown with your airline recently.

If you let us know what airline you're using, someone may have recent experience. Have a great trip.

Don't count on "policy" being consistent. Here's what did happen once,,,,same airline,,,same airplane model,,,plane fully loaded both times: First leg, I walked past the gate, down the jetway, stepped onto the plane, and the stew stopped me and said "You will NOT put that in the overhead,,,,,I WILL put it in here with my suitcase" and she placed in the closet at the front of the plane, while saying she would be damed if she was going to let an instrument be mistreated. Nice Lady.

Return trip, while walking down the jetway, a ramp rat (not a nice lady) stopped me, said the instrument couldn't go with me, needed to be gate checked. No buts. Took the instrument, didn't give me a claim check, so I had to pick it up with checked baggage at the destination. After it got manhandled thru the system and the carosel.

Others mileage may vary, but,

Been there, done that, trust FedEx with at least one of the instruments, and have fun at Kamp

swain (million mile club, so far)

Quote Originally Posted by mclaugh View Post
    If you check with the airline, they'll probably tell you one carry-on and one personal item. They intend the personal item to be a purse, laptop or similar, but in my experience it can be anything. A gate attendant told me once that if you put your keys in something, it's an acceptable personal item.
    My one personal item has always been a double case with fiddle and mando. Has plenty of room for wallet, keys, and toothbrush. I'd be hesitant to fly if I couldn't carry along these essential items.

I'd avoid the double case. Some friends of mine were touring with double cases for their fiddles (they each carried two--one in standard, one for cross-tuning). They hit a flight where they weren't allowed to bring either case on the plane and were stuck with checking four violins. As I recall, it all worked out, but it was hair raising. On the other hand, another friend has been touring for years with both a mandolin and a mandola as carry-on--in separate cases--and he's never had a problem. Having two cases gives you the option of splitting them up between bins on a full flight.

Good luck.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    I'd avoid the double case. Some friends of mine were touring with double cases for their fiddles (they each carried two--one in standard, one for cross-tuning). They hit a flight where they weren't allowed to bring either case on the plane and were stuck with checking four violins.
    If that happened to me, my instruments would be in my lap, and they could have the case.

It really depends on your airline. If you are flying SW (no charge for checked bags) you will find plenty of overhead space, especially if you get your boarding pass early. I routinely carry on a dred size guitar in a calton case with a case cover and have never had anyone say anything about it. On that airline carrying your double case would be no problem.

American now charges $25 for checked bags so their OH bins are always packed. Someone recently commented to me that AA has it backwards. They should charge for carry-on bags and let people check their bags for free. That would make the cabin much more comfortable!

I would check everything but the instrument case and but what you need for overnight in it. Then march up there like you do it every day. Don't be sheepish. If they absolutely refuse to let you carry the double case on, check the case and hold your instruments in your lap. You should be fine.

Have fun at Kamp. I may see you there.

THEY ALWAYS ask for handicapped and people with small children and any one with special needs to board first i have always just said i need to make sure i find a spot in the overhead for this and have always been allowed to board next after the children and handicapped i have never been allowed to put anything on my lap or under the seat by crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coy Wylie View Post
    ... Someone recently commented to me that AA has it backwards. They should charge for carry-on bags and let people check their bags for free...
    The idea is to reduce aircraft weight. Carry on forces people to pack lighter...
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

To your question about under the seat, here is some info I found:

Although your carry on item might be within the size guidelines issued by the airline, that does not guarantee it will fit under the seat in front of you! It seems that the space under the seat in front of you is getting smaller and smaller, particularly with some airlines (most notably on international flights) adding bulky electronic boxes under each seat to control the at-seat video entertainment systems, and with more closely spaced seats that are, themselves, thinner than before.

Even if there isn't a blocking box of electronics, due to the design of the seat frame and supports, you'll find there might be the least amount of space under the aisle seat, a bit more space under the wing seat, and most space underneath the center seat. At last - something good to say about getting stuck in a middle seat!

Even if, in theory, your bag could fit under the seat in front, you might find the geometry of the space and angles is such that you can't manage to fit the bag into the space (unless you add a hinge to the middle of the bag - a feature not yet offered!).

But you are taking a risk when trying to get two instruments past airline employees. All written airline rules I know of say one carry-on bag (which may be one instrument), one personal bag, and one other of specific type (outerwear, food, medical, etc.). The worst case situation would be to get two instruments on the first leg of a trip only to be told that you can't get both on a subsequent leg. Arguing that the other flight let you won't win, even if the other flight was the same airline. Best to be safe and ship one instrument versus last-minute baggage checking.

Being a traveling performer, I live, travel and tour with all of my belongings

I know that airlines allow one carry on and a "Personal Item". When I travel I always have one piece of luggage, my backpack, my Martin guitar and my Breedlove Mando. A little loophole that I use is this;

I stick my laptop in my backpack and count that as my personal item, then I have my mando as a carry on. You can switch it either way to justify it - say your mando is your personal item whatever, because a backpack can go either way. I check my guitar however, because it's in an "Airplane Safe" Martin case.

I do agree with some of the other people though. I would rather ship an instrument ahead of time, than have it thrown about through checked baggage. Hell no.
    "Work is what you do for other people, Art is what you do for yourself." - Stephen Sondheim

Pikloser came to the rescue. I'm not going to send her my violin. Instead I'm leaving my mandolin at home and she is graciously going to let me borrow one of her mandolins for the week. She is such a peach! So, I will carry on my violin and not worry about shipping it, or fighting to take both on the plane. One of the aircraft is smaller, one of those puddle jumpers I think someone called them. I have a Bobelock fiberglass case to carry it in, and it looks way smaller than it is.

For those of you going to Kaufman Kamp, be sure and look Pikloser up and tell her how nice she it!
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case