Thread: Mike Marshall's version of Odeon

Default Mike Marshall's version of Odeon

Would anyone happen to have notes or tab for Mike Marshall's chord-melody version of Odeon (youtube link below)? I have the version in Dm in "Classics of the Brazilian Choro I - Ernesto Nazareth" and have been working on it some but I particularly like Mike's Am version and was disappointed to find that this is not one of the tunes he put in his Choro book. I should, of course, be able to figure it out from the video and knowledge of the Dm version of the tune but I'm afraid that would take me forever (not that I wouldn't learn a lot struggling to do it)....

thanks, David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLWnPsE6tqY

Default Re: Mike Marshall's version of Odeon

You're in luck. Doug Hoople has done a fantastic transcription of Odeon in Am. I've been working on it off and on for months. If he doesn't come along with a link here, give him a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James P View Post
    You're in luck. Doug Hoople has done a fantastic transcription of Odeon in Am. I've been working on it off and on for months. If he doesn't come along with a link here, give him a PM.
    Thanks for the info James!

-David

p.s. and for what it's worth I think Mike's version is in Em, not Am as I wrote above.

You're right! Em.

Here's a clip of me playing Odeon about four months ago. It's marginally tighter now but I've had to work on other songs and probably only get to it a couple times a week. Started on it a couple years back but, like you, had slow sledging by ear. Finally one Saturday, I Googled it, leading me to a thread here on the Cafe (of course.) I emailed Doug and he sent it to me within minutes. Thanks again Doug!

Anyway, I'd send it to you myself if I'd asked Doug's permission. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by James P View Post
    Here's a clip of me playing Odeon about four months ago. It's marginally tighter now but I've had to work on other songs and probably only get to it a couple times a week. Started on it a couple years back but, like you, had slow sledging by ear. . Enjoy.
    Nicely done! Looking forward to working on this one...

-David

That sounds great James!

JR

Thanks Gang.... I love this piece.. Someone gave me a copy of a recording of "mandomania" from 2000 and it has Mike Marshall playing this great piece. I think he did it in Em on this recording. I tried it in my own for a while, but will be happy to have a transcription.

This Mando Mania recording is great -- it has a young Chris Thile playing a solo version of the then-untitled Song for an African Queen, as well as some great picking from Rhonda Vincent and Sam Bush.

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

RobP,
    Any lead as to where one can get the mandomania album? Thanks in advance.

Great clean version of Odeon, James P!

There's a version of Mike playing Odeon on an album called "Tasting the Wine Country"...

This thread explains the sudden flurry of requests I found on my email queue this morning. I obviously love this piece, too. It brightens my day every time I get a request, and it's satisfying to find that people are actually gaining traction with the help of my transcription.

Jame, very nice! It's all there. You've even got the corrected C# in the first measure of the B section.

I'll repeat here the correction that I send along with each copy, so that there's some public record of it, and especially for anyone who might have received a copy before I spotted it.

The C-natural in the first measure of the B section should be a C#, followed immediately by a C-natural. That would bring it in line with the Ernesto Nazareth original.

My transcription came originally from an in-class off-the-cuff recording at the 2005 Mandolin Symposium, and that's the way Mike played it at the time. When I eventually heard his studio version on his 'Tasting the Wine Country,' though, he played it with the C#.

Thanks, all. And enjoy!
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Thanks so much for your help Doug! I just love this piece. Tip o' the hat to you!

Thanks from me too Doug! Looking forward to working on this one...

Apologies for needing to ask: How does one get the transcription from Mr. Hoople? I don't see an email address or a contact link on his profile page -- obviously I'm doing something wrong, but, what?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbevan View Post
    Apologies for needing to ask: How does one get the transcription from Mr. Hoople? I don't see an email address or a contact link on his profile page -- obviously I'm doing something wrong, but, what?
    Thanks!
    Hi Jim,

Just click on my avatar (the picture at the left of this post), and you should get taken to my profile page. Send me an email, and I'll get a copy right out to you.

btw, Location: Brazil? Telll us about it!

Thanks.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Thanks Doug, but that seems to be my problem: I don't see an email address on your profile page.

Brasil? I've been here for a year, in 9 cities, so there's lots to tell! I'll keep it down to 1 detail and 1 general impression:

The choro picking took some getting used to. Before this I had spent 4 months in the UK and Ireland, and had concentrated on keeping the pick-direction consistent, e.g. starting a phrase (in a reel) on an up-beat=starting the phrase on an up-stroke. Here, they like to start on a down-stroke no matter what -- the opening notes of Noites Cariocas is played D DUDUD, which rhythmically pushes the phrase. Playing the melody a little ahead of the beat in these relaxed, behind-the-beat grooves is not so hard for my head, 'cuz it sounds authentic, but my pick still has a hard time co-operating.

In general, I feel a little "right-of-center" here. Brazil is the most melting-pot kind of place I've been, and going to a local bar, to hear local, normal popular music, my impression would be, "Wow, if this music is the result of the contributions of many cultures, and so this music represents a norm for Planet Earth, I ain't so normal!"

Jim, just click on Doug's name and a box will pop up. One of the options is "send a PM", click that and your good to go.

JR

Ah, it didn't show the options before, most likely because I wasn't logged in (which I had to do in order to write the last post). Thanks!