Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Eastman question

Default Yet another Eastman question

For those who have played the various Eastmans, is there any difference, soundwise, between the 515, 615, and 815 (aside from the usual variability).

Thanks.

Registered User backwoodsborn10's Avatar

Default Re: Yet another Eastman question

hi jeff, i too am interested in the answer to your question. i would like to add 915 to that comparison also. i have an eastman on the way.it has a 615 lable inside,but the dealer thinks it's a 915. either way i think i can't go wrong.

When I bought my 615 mandola, I had a choice of three: two 615's and an 815. The 815 was fancier, gold hardware and more figured woods, but to my ears the 615 I picked sounded the best of the three.

As far as I can tell -- and I'm neither a luthier nor a repair person -- there's little difference in design or construction between the lower-range and higher-range Eastman mandolins. The "800" and "900" series are better-looking than the "500" and "600" series, but I think Jeff M hit the nail on the head, mentioning "usual variability." You could get a "500" that sounds better than an "800," or not. The top-end Eastmans (Eastmen?) are really handsome instruments, and the lower-end ones are more utilitarian in appearance, but were I buying one (and I've already bought four), I'd play every one in sight and pick the one whose sound and feel I liked the best.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

The Eastman's have some different finishes between levels now. The 900 series all have wood bindings. That said, anyone of the bunch may sound the best. They are all built with care and attention. I was happy with my 814 and my current 815D. If you're curious, listen across the line at the Mandolin Store's web page. They have mp3s of the individual instruments.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I bought a 615 that sounded better than it's higher priced siblings.

I've owned several Eastmen and I've played several more. I owned a 915 (which was superb and I regret selling it). I owned an 815D and am happy to not own it anymore. I owned an 804 which was a dog so I traded it. I own a Dawg DG1 (the Giacomel) and it looks great and plays ok, if I hadn't got it for a special price I wouldn't have it. I own an 807D (the prototype 2 point) and again for the price I paid it's a great mando with unusual block fret markers and s/n 001. I have played 500 and 600 series Eastmen and they just didn't thrill me at all, but they weren't far off the 807D and the 815D. The 915 was in a class of its own, as were two other 915's that I have played. I have also owned an 815MDA and a 615MDA. The 615MDA is a really nice instrument but the 815MDA shaded it in tone and of course looks.

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking about trading my 505 up to a 615 or 815, but if they don't sound much better I'll just keep the A and wait until I can go all the way up to a Jam Master or something similar.

It is not often mentioned, but based on the 515 I had and the 815 I now have, the ribs on the 815 are about 1/4" taller than those on the 515. Both sound good, but I do prefer the sound of the 815.

Joe

When I bought my 515 from Janet Davis Music a couple of years ago there were two 615's on the wall next to it. I had the funds to buy either of them. Even though I went there to buy a 615, that particular 515 sounded better so I bought it. Been happy ever since!
    ......Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsborn10 View Post
    hi jeff, i too am interested in the answer to your question. i would like to add 915 to that comparison also. i have an eastman on the way.it has a 615 lable inside,but the dealer thinks it's a 915. either way i think i can't go wrong.
    Although I own an 815 and 804, I am not an Eastman expert.
    However, I would be very wary of a dealer who THINKS that a 615 is actually a 915.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

yeah , very good point! i'm getting it for the price of a 615. i havn't laid eyes upon it, he said it has the extended fretboard. i dont know if it has the traditional binding or the maple binding like the 915.probably get it in monday or tuesday. we'll see??!!

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

I have my eyes on a nice 815V, which I've played at the dealer's. Does anyone know what kind of varnish it is? And will it wear off quickly, or need special attention? How thick was it put on? It sure sounds different from the other Eastmans this dealer has on the wall, seems crisper and with more presence.

just an update... got my eastman in today. it has 615 handwritten in ink pen on the lable inside, but i think it might be a 915. it has the ext. fretboard, beautifully marked back and neck,and the one thing that makes me think it is is the maple binding on front, back, and neck. this is the first eastman i've played. i am VERY picky!! I didn't like the Ky.1000,I didnt like the loar 600 at all!I've got a loar 500 that plays great,love the neck, lacks in tone quality though. back to the eastman...this mandolin is a beast! never played a mando so loud. all night i found myself tryin to actually quieten it down.lacks a little in low end tones,a and e strings sound beautiful.might have to consider the mandovoodoo.all in all.....EASTMAN ROCKS!!

Blog Entries

Please post a photo of it and enjoy your new mandolin.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

Congrats on that new Eastman. I agree. Eastman Rocks! Now you know why my Eastman does not take a back seat to my Collings.

jillian

I got an 815V and the finish is sensitive. That's the only thing I don't like about the 815V.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff May View Post
    I'm thinking about trading my 505 up to a 615 or 815, but if they don't sound much better I'll just keep the A and wait until I can go all the way up to a Jam Master or something similar.
    You have to play the individual instrument - frankly, I think this is true for all makers.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Smash View Post
    I got an 815V and the finish is sensitive. That's the only thing I don't like about the 815V.
    Could you be more specific? (1) what do you mean by "sensitive", that it dings easily? or rubs off? or...? (2) how do you maintain it? (3) what is the effect on the sound, compared to the stock 815 finish?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Those varnish finishes are thinner and soft to start out so treat it with care. This isn't a lacquer dipped import. That thin varnish is part of why your instrument sounds good.

Jamie

I was at a festival this past weekend and got to try out an 815 that a player had there.

It had a lacquer finish.

The fit, finish and overall quality of the mandolin were outstanding.

The sound was rather muted, though.

Quote Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
    Could you be more specific? (1) what do you mean by "sensitive", that it dings easily? or rubs off? or...? (2) how do you maintain it? (3) what is the effect on the sound, compared to the stock 815 finish?

Thanks!
    When I ran my finger nail across the finish it made the mark permanent. The sound is still nice though. I heard Meguiars car polish works good but I still have not tried it. I wish I would of got the natural finish 815.

Quote Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
    I have my eyes on a nice 815V, which I've played at the dealer's. Does anyone know what kind of varnish it is? And will it wear off quickly, or need special attention? How thick was it put on? It sure sounds different from the other Eastmans this dealer has on the wall, seems crisper and with more presence.
    Yikes... I have an 815v on the way to me. I'm pretty compulsive about taking care of the finish on all my instruments, but is the varnish guaranteed to get dinged and marred?? I guess I did not understand there was that big of a trade off between sound and durability

Chris

I wore through the finish on my 615 mandola within eight or nine months, where I planted my fingers on the top. Had the finish touched up and a small transparent plastic pickguard glued over the wear. If you're "compulsive about taking care of the finish," you may have to be hyper-vigilant; there's no pickguard, so you could consider having one made and installed...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

These would work... amongst others. Made by member Doug Edwards.

Interestingly, people will spend big money to get a distressed mandolin. My 814 had finish crackles within a year or so. Those Varnished ones will ages to a vintage looking patina even faster.

Jamie

here's a couple of pics of the 615/915?

and here's both my babies