Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardshell case for Mandobird?????

Default Hardshell case for Mandobird?????

Anyone tried the Access rectangular case with the Mandobird? How does it fit? Is there anything else out there that works well for the Mandobird? Years ago I had a generic case I bought on Ebay that fit like a glove; unable to find another one like it and the bird and case are a long time gone? Thanks.
    Thanks for your support?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Hardshell case for Mandobird?????

I hope you get an answer to this. The lack of a hard case is the only thing that's kept me from buying a Mandobird.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Looks like the access might work. Elderly www.Elderly.com lists them, call with dimensions and see for yourself.

I think you will find the information you are looking for in this thread at JazzMando.

http://jazzmando.com/spotlight_acces...lin_case.shtml

Seems like overkill to me- the case would cost almost as much as the instrument. I use a Epiphone gig bag for my Mandobird and that works just fine. But that said, I do have an Access case that I use for my JL Smith electric, and I'm sure it would work fine for the Epiphone.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

A spot of re-upholstery on one of those cheap Chinese rectangular viola cases (take out the bow fittings and it would probably hold two `Birds :-) ?

I've been wondering about a hardcase for my 'bird and this thread has sparked my imagination. I have an extra rectangular case that I should be able to re-purpose with some foam and upholstery mods.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

A mandobird is it's own hardshell case.

Hello all, this is my first post here in Mandolin Cafe. I was searching for hard case designs for the Mandobird when I came upon this thread. After taking a stab at a case myself, I thought this would be a perfect place to share.

I found an F-style Epiphone hardshell case for $35 on ebay and simply made two cuts in the foam to fit my 'bird. It is a nice, snug fit. I've gigged with it a few times now (hauling in and out of some large clubs), and it has never once shifted!
    You'll notice in the attached picture that there are 3 spaces left from the original F fitting. I plan on leaving the compartment that is currently holding my strap as-is. I've got enough material left over from cutting that I should be able to glue in filler for a small cosmetic improvement in the other 2 spaces. Just haven't gotten around to doing so. And on an awesome side note, the case matches my Epi Blues Custom 30 amp (of which my Mandobird sings though!)

Let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o2cQb.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	85153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fQcaD.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	85154
    Last edited by Trumplin; Apr-17-2012 at 4:30am. Reason: Formatting

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trumplin For This Useful Post:

Nice one!
    Awesome stuff, and welcome.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a used hard case, though I could probably alter this semi hard fiddle case I have here easy enough.

I've got my Mandobird in the Access case, and it fits perfectly. I bought it from Elderly, during their annual case sale.
    Think globally, bike locally.

That is really cool! Though I am reminded of this..

the only thing better than that case would be not playing a mandobird . god I am a jerk for saying that . I did own two birds but moved on to better emandos . nice case refitting , 35 bucks is a great price .

Juding my the amount of replies here... Am I safe to think that the Mandobird actually is a decent instrument? I've been thinking about ways to amplify my acoustic mandolin for live use with a rock-band, and I'm starting to think a Mandobird might do the trick... Are you guys using the four or the eight-string version?

On topic: This one should do the trick?

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8381

I do rock/country/blues on a VIII every weekend with mine now. Setup was easy to do, plays good, sounds way better than the piezos did... I use a guitar patch with fx and do the bagpipe part to copperhead beginning on it, changes patches and do the mando part. some day I'll upgrade the pick up but for now it works. it's not an acoustic mando but for what it is, it does the job just fine. I also play it at 3 or 4 am for practice.

That sounds amazing. What effects do you use to make it sound like bagpipes?

Oh, and by the way... Copperhead Road was the first tune I learned on a mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumplin View Post
    I found an F-style Epiphone hardshell case for $35 on ebay and simply made two cuts in the foam to fit my 'bird. It is a nice, snug fit. I've gigged with it a few times now (hauling in and out of some large clubs), and it has never once shifted!
    You'll notice in the attached picture that there are 3 spaces left from the original F fitting. I plan on leaving the compartment that is currently holding my strap as-is. I've got enough material left over from cutting that I should be able to glue in filler for a small cosmetic improvement in the other 2 spaces. !)

Let me know what you think!

Name:	o2cQb.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	85153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fQcaD.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	85154
    This looks great! Nice job. I think I'll do the same, if I can find one. Were you able to cut the foam and keep the black felt (?) covering, or just leave the foam showing through where you made the cuts?

I called Elderly and the Access case is too short. It's 26 inches long and the mandobird is 28 inches long. Anyone else have any ideas? I have an old rectangular case for an F series that I thought about repurposing, but it's too short as well.

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

Use an Epiphone ED 50 case. It works with a little trimming.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

This Access case from Elderly fits a Mandobird IV like a glove.

Name:	Case.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	106053
    The piece above the headstock is removable, but the instrument fits really well with it in place.

To be honest I much retired the mandobird and bought a godin. it is just a late night practice instrument now.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Hello.I, too, couldn't find a suitable case. However, I stumbled across the firm Berwall in Germany . This is obviously only relevant to europeans reading this. The hard case- which is pretty near a flight case- fits like a glove. It cost-with postage-92 Euros . In Berwalls website (www.berwall.de) its article GR082. Bye.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I use a tenor ukulele case. Probably wouldn’t recommend it for long haul flights but it does the job otherwise.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Hi, I just bought a Mandobird VIII, and need a suitable case or gigbag. Because of timing issues I need to buy the case before the mandobird arrives, can anyone tell me how long is it? And if you can provide other measures, that would be great.