Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor picking chair

Default Outdoor picking chair

Well it's that time of year and I have the same problem each year. So I'm finally going to do something about . Our patio chairs all have arms, not good for mandolin playing. And maybe once in a while portability might be desireable too. Comfort is most important. What do you guys and gals sit on when just picking out in the backyard?

Default Re: Outdoor picking chair

I'm very interested in this topic as well.

I have searched in vain for the last 2 years for a portable, sturdy, folding camp chair (or stool) for outdoor picking situations.

The other requirement for me is that the chair/stool have some height from the ground. The seat on so many folding camp chairs are 18 inches or less off the ground. I am over 6 feet tall, and this makes it very aggravating to get up once I'm sitting down. I might as well sit on the ground! I have contemplated making something in the shop, but can find no plans anywhere.

I would love any suggestions.

While a camping chair is good, too, I guess my main quest is for a good comfortable backyard chair without the arms that get in the way. If it's portable so much the better.

A couple of years ago, I bought a folding metal stool at Walmart for $15. It sits about 24" tall, carries and travels easily. Let's see if this link to one like it on Amazon works:

Sheryl --- Me

I have several metal folding chairs without arms I have purchased at second hand stores for a dollar or two each, they have backs but no arm rests and fold flat for storage or transport.
    Jim Richmond

Check out Cabela's or another outdoor catalog for a seat to put on a 5-gallon pickle/paint/utility bucket. They are frequently cushioned, waterproof, swivel, and you can fill the bucket with stuff you want to carry. I ice down a 6-pack of Dr. Pepper or Shiner bock in mine.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Fwiw , one of those [#4] stools in my apartment ,+ one outside to set things on so I can open the door..
    [QC is left to the customer to do .. the outside one, 1 0f the 4 legs doesn't hit the ground.]

Keep the receipt .. bring a witness, both for buying it and have one when it collapses for the Liability Suit against Wally World

(I got mine used an ex theater prop 2 fer $5)

Top just 12"across , label says 'max load 200#', $9.00.. spot weld, and generally poor quality

[no surprise there, considering the source]

Getting a proper folding Chair or a fixed stool. either probably lots more sturdy .

If the plan is not to just leave it out there , adjustable height office chairs are fine,

some have mesh seats and backs .

so forgetting it outside and having it showered on is going to be OK ..

you may be able to put bigger wheels on it for setting on the Lawn ..
    the all terrain feral office chair.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I bought a three legged folding camping chair (no arm rests) from Sierra Trading Post that works well for me. It's not real comfortable, but it's stable for using on other than a finished surface.

I have a folding chair from First Quality Music Supply. It is not very comfortable for sitting at festivals and such, but for jamming, it is quite good because it is very portable and has no arms.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

We've got about 8 or 9 (armless) park benches which I built from scrap 2x8/2x6, located in various spots around the 3/4 acre yard: at the end of one of the bridges over the creek, several in the sauna yard area, out by the veg garden, other side of the creek, etc. (also the 2 bench swings and picnic tables, etc. etc.).

& you may as well construct an exterior music stand (or two) so you don't have to continually drag one outside and back in.

Plenty of other landscape/garden photos, if anyone is interested.

Niles H.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4061.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	57165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4062.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	57166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picking & vegetable gardens 6-14-08..jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	57167  

I went down the the local used furniture store and found an old wooden chair for $15 bucks - its actually pretty nice - cane seat. Works great. I just make sure its undercover on the porch when I'm done playing.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Wooden "event chairs" or "banquet chairs" are ideal. Especially if you can find good used ones.

How about on the grass under a tree?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006..jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	57178  

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    How about on the grass under a tree?
    Prime fire ant habitat in the south.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

I like the 'Terje' from Ikea, which folds up and is armless. It is slightly too low to be ideal, but it looks nice and is quite cheap.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I started with this:

removed the arm rest, cut off a few inches of arm-rest support and remounted the arm-rest. This is a resin type (i.e., fake wood) rocker. Here's the finished job:
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

I kind of like the armless "directors" chairs
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

How about an outdoor 2 or 3 person bench with arms. Then you just sit in the middle so your arms are free. Gives you a place to set a snack and beverage too.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

i keep my outside seat tucked inside my jeans ...

fatt-dad now you're talkin! And it's a rocker to boot! Did the plastic chair get a bit wobbly by essentially removing one arm?

21. The following members say thank you to dorenac for this post:

I'm telling yall this is the BEST pickin chair I have ever found.
    http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...0070926x00003a

Very lightweight and sturdy and most importantly COMFORTABLE! And at $9.00 a chair they are almost disposable! LOL!

I own like 12 of them for picking parties and workshops at my house etc. But as far as a picking chair they are great. If you look at the backs there is a handle built into it and makes it so easy to carry and they are as light as a feather but very sturdy I have a couple that I have owned for years and been through a lot of abuse and they are still hanging tough.

Anybody who has jammed with me KNOWS I always bring my own chair whether there are chairs there or not. If you bring your own chair no one can sit in it and you can't lose it if you go to the bathroom! LOL!

The ONLY thing I don't like about them is they have plastic caps on each leg end and if you sit on the chair in a soft yard the leg with the cap will go in the ground and when it comes out the cap will not! LOL! Luckily they sell rubber caps at Home Depot!

Jim,

I'm intrigued by your Kmart chair. How high is the seat?

Due to somewhat selective senility, I can't recall how many sweatshirts and folding chairs I've left at campgrounds after late night pickins. That makes it imperative that chairs be inexpensive. I cruise yard sales and auctions for sturdy stackable cafeteria-type chairs, then put a cheap cusion on each for comfort. I like the mis-matched look, makes for an eclectic camp, and sturdy is the top priority. I'm a big ol' boy. Mostly, they're stenciled with my name, and I've reclaimed chairs at festivals a year after I drove off without them. I have NEVER understood the attraction to the low-slung wooden things, or the nylon foldy hammock things. Very uncomfortable for jams that go for days. YMMV.
    When the little plasic caps are gone, they're gone for good. The legs fill up with dried mud and leave a trail of crunchies wherever I pick.
    Last edited by Mike Snyder; Apr-11-2010 at 8:34am. Reason: sleepy Sunay morn
    Mike Snyder

But you know fatt-dad's chair is a rocking chair, which I think adds a great element of relaxation and informality. It's not portable though. Portablility is a nice feature but I would mostly use a good chair on the back patio. I think it's harder to build a sturdy chair without arms, especially a rocking chair.

Portability is fairly relative to your capacity to haul. Many camps at Winfield have entire living room sets, including sofas. I've used wooden kitchen-type chairs in camp, but they don't survive thunderstorms very well. They're very good pickin' chars, though.
    Mike Snyder