Thread: Intermediate Mandolin ~ around 1k

Default Intermediate Mandolin ~ around 1k

I'm about 3 years into my mandolin playing and the Greg Bennett A style mandolin I bought new for $300 is serving me well. I did a serious setup .... replacing the plastic nut with bone, etc.

I'd like to think about upgrading .... as my playing improves ... a better mandolin will most likely make playing easier and more enjoyable.

I'd like to spend around a grand. What do folks recommend?

I came to the mandolin after playing the ukulele for years, and my Gibson uke has spoiled me for anything of less quality.

You just can't play bluegrass and Irish music on a ukulele and you can't play a Hawaiian vamp on a mandolin ... so I need both, lol.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Default Re: Intermediate Mandolin ~ around 1k

I suggest you trawl the gigantic reserves of threads here, literally hundreds of which feature people asking exactly the same question as you are asking. The search facility here is a goldmine.

br

Thanks, I'll do just that!
    Just visiting.

Blog Entries

Look at new/used Eastman A and F styles, Kentucky's new KM900 top of the line A style or a used KM1000, The Loar brand 600/700 series. Other used items you might find that will be good next level instruments, Used Flatiron A styles (US made not the new imports), some used Weber A styles, maybe if you can find it a used Gibson A9 or Jam Master. There are MANY options at ~$1K espescially if your're not locked into NEW and F style.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I'd talk to Dennis at the Mandolin Store. Tell him you want a monster Eastman 505, and you're willing to wait for him to get a big shipment in. I bought one from them a year or so ago, when they had just got a bunch in stock. I told Dennis to play them all, and send me the best sounding one. (I wasn't geographically available to cruise to Arizona to taste test them all myself at the moment, though I did later.) I'm not kidding when I say that the Eastman 505 I got from them was one of the best sounding mandolins I've ever heard, at any price. They do vary a lot-- I've plinked on Eastmen with four times the price tag that were mediocre. And the bonus? I only paid $500 for the 505, on sale. You might look at used 505s, 515s, 605s, and 615s in that price range, with an approval period to send it back if it has setup issues or is a dog in another way. You'll see it here a lot at the Cafe-- the right Eastman can be an incredible bargain. I sold my 504 and 505 because I had a custom build (Old Wave oval A) that needed to be paid for, but I would class them both as some of the smokin'est mandolin deals I've ever seen.

Thanks, Lee! Great suggestion. I'm not locked into new or F style. I want something that feels nice to play and sounds decent. I'm semi disabled ... so I don't get out and about much to check out mandolins available in local music stores. I'll definitely give Dennis a call!
    Just visiting.