Thread: Advanced Mandolin, hand made F-5 style on Ebay

Default Advanced Mandolin, hand made F-5 style on Ebay

Anyone have experience or comments on this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Looks like a great deal. What am I missing? I'm no mando expert.....
    Last edited by guitarpicker; Apr-22-2010 at 7:20am. Reason: bad link

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advanced Mandolin, hand made F-5 style on Ebay

Yeah guitarpicker I have looked at these mando's myself and wondered if I was missing out on a terrific deal. These mando's don't have any name on the headstock (which doesn't bother me at all) but never the less they look like a pretty welll made F5. (for a ebay mando they look almost too perfect for me) If the sound is anything like the looks then it might be a pretty nice mando at a really good deal. I wish someone on the cafe had already purchased one and had a little info on them. I bought my handmade 'Jones" a mth or 2 ago so i'm not in the market for another mando but if something happens (like the lotto or something else) I may venture out and buy 1. (oh) comes with a sharp looking case as well...

Blog Entries

Hi and welcome to the Café. I have trouble seeing how this particular instruiment is modeled on Sam's famous mandolin (I linked to the current Gibson Sam Bush model. Sam's has a more chopped fingerboard extension and block inlays on the fingerboard instead of dots.

With a starting (and seemingly ending) bid of $378 I wouldn't expect sound like Sam's espescially when the builder/manufacturer is completely unkown. It might be just fine but then again it might not. I would take chances on an unplayed instrument from a company with a reputation before an unknown qualitiy like this.

If you're interested in a <$500 mandolin, I would recomend an A style (tear drop shaped one) by Kentucky like the KM505 over this. Buy it from a good dealer that will give it a proper set up, and offer a return period if you're not satisfied. Our sponsors here are a good place to start looking.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Hi. Thanks. I'll check out that Kentucky model. I'm a beginner on Mando so I guess I shouldn't be taking chances, but it sure LOOKS good. I did contact a previous buyer and he seems pretty pleased with it. And I really didn't expect it to play or sound like a Sam Bush model. Just didn't want to fall for what might be a total rip-off...

But I'll take your advice and buy something a little more mainstream from a local shop.

These same mandolins from this seller have been discussed several times here with one member that actually bought one and was quite unimpressed. Here is one thread.

Thanks Mike. Didn't mean to bring up an old topic. I did a search and didn't find anything but being new to the site, I probably didn't go about it right.

No problem bringing up the subject, I had to look hard to find the old thread.

Blog Entries

Mike is the Search Master. We're happy to revisit things.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Hey Mike. Thanks for the link to the previous thread. If I wasn't cautious before, I certainly am now....

Quote Originally Posted by guitarpicker View Post
    Hi. Thanks. I'll check out that Kentucky model. I'm a beginner on Mando so I guess I shouldn't be taking chances, but it sure LOOKS good. I did contact a previous buyer and he seems pretty pleased with it. And I really didn't expect it to play or sound like a Sam Bush model. Just didn't want to fall for what might be a total rip-off...

But I'll take your advice and buy something a little more mainstream from a local shop.
    The Kentucky KM-505 is one of the best mandolin buys out there. Buy from one of the good shops that advertise here and who include a good instrument set-up with the purchase. If you absolutely want an F model with the scroll and all, look at the Rover RM-75. Well made from solid woods, though I think the Kentucky is a better value. Either of these will get you started. Welcome to the wonderful world of mandolins.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

It's location is Hoston, United States--- that is somewhere between Missachusetts and Taxas. There is always an "Advanced" mandolin on ebay. They seem to be some pacrim thing.

As I mentioned in the thread that Mike referred to I did buy one of these mandolins.
    It broke at the nut.
    A while ago I contacted the seller to see if he would come to some sort of an arrangement such as replacing it.
    He did not even respond.
    I took a chance on mine and lost.
    I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to get one of these if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of mandolins.
    Thanks! I ended up buying a blemished Eastman MD905 for $799 from the Mandolin Store. It arrived yesterday. Yes, it has an imperfection on the top. But otherwise, all I can say is wow! I spent a bit more than I originally planned, but I love it. Dennis at the Mandolin Store took very good care of me.