Thread: Double Word Bug?

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Default Double Word Bug?

I frequently see posts where the last word in a line of text is repeated on the second line. It must be a bug in the forum software.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Double Word Bug?

I can see this as I resize the window. It depends on the size. Your post above repeats software sometimes and not other times. I am currently running IE 6.02....

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by man dough nollij View Post
    I frequently see posts where the last word in a line of text is repeated on the second line. It must be a bug in the forum software.
    Unlikely.

If it is, everyone would be seeing it. Post links to some of your examples so we can evaluate them.

Blog Entries

I see the double word as well, the word "bug" is doubled, I thought you were being clever. And Jamie's post as doubled the word "sometimes".

I printed the screen to a PDF, but the doubling did not show. It shows the sight a little wider, and the text line breaks in a different place.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I'm using IE7, and when I see my own post above, the word "bug" appears twice.

Edit to add: In Jamie's post, the word "sometimes" is double, too.

Blog Entries

I was able to replicate this on my screen when I varied the width of the window. I'll attach a screen shot of how it looks. Only at the exact width for a specific post do I observe this.

Jamie

PS. When I have the screen sized where a word is repeated and I attempt to copy the text (highlight it all) the doubled word is not highlighted twice. One of them is skipped. I copied this from Lee's first post and software was repeated across two lines. The upper software did not highlight and when I pasted it " frequently see posts where the last word in a line of text is repeated on the second line. It must be a bug in the forum software." if was only present 1 time.

The fact that this varies on modifying the windo width makes me think this is related more to the browsers pagination than the forum software. It might only be an issue with IE... I can't test with Firefox until I get home. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repeater..jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	57873  
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

Here's how it looks on mine, with my browser maximized:

(Now I have a new problem. When I open the "manage attachments" window to upload a photo, there is no option to upload anything. I only see all the photos I have uploaded before. About the right 1/4 of the window is a dark gray strip. I assume there is an "add files" button under the part I can't see.)

Edit to add: there is a button on the bottom that says "Ins...". The gray field covers up everthing to the right of the "s".

Blog Entries

There is not a forum software bug related to words being repeated. This is a web browser issue.

Where I work, we blame everything on the Firewall -- unless you work for Security, then it's a Network issue
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

For giggles I'm in on IE 6.0 with 256 color resolution at 800X600. Resizing the windows still won't show me the double words.

In on IE 8.0 with 32-bit color at 1024X768. I can't reproduce the issue. I use Firefox at home and I've never see this there either. If it won't screen print I'm wondering if it's related to the video card drivers. Oops, Jamie got it to screen print.

I can reproduce it with IE7, but not with Firefox.

What I think is funny is it seems to have just started recently. Unless I never noticed it before the last few days, but things like that usually catch my eye.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mclaugh View Post
    I can reproduce it with IE7, but not with Firefox.

What I think is funny is it seems to have just started recently. Unless I never noticed it before the last few days, but things like that usually catch my eye.

I am running 7 as well, and it seems I have never seen this before today.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I may not even have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out to me. Also, the width has to be just right for a line to exhibit the repeated word. Also, often if you read something and a word repeats across a line break your brain will ignore it.

Jamie

I had this a week or so ago.I've recently begun to use Firefox as my browser & one of the first posts i added to a thread,looked fine when i typed it,but when i 'posted' it,it duplicated the last word on the top line.I tried to edit it,but to no avail.
    I'm not worried by this,as i get the last word in twice !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan's post showed up with the word "browser" repeated, and I have posted at least twice recently and had words repeated. I thought it was my error and tried to edit my post, but to no avail.

Blog Entries

The reason you can't edit these posts is because those repeated words are not there in the database as part of the post. It's the browser showing you that so there's nothing to edit. The reality here is, this has virtually nothing to do with this forum. It's your web browser.

Actually, I'm betting that those who are seeing the doubled words and other formatting issues are running at some scale other than 100%, and probably using IE7. IE 7 had a lot of scaling issues, especially where a single page mixed units. We're still using IE 7 at work and the scaling really sucks. I use IE 8 at home and I've not seen any problems with it.

The most common problem occurs when units are mixed - i.e. when some text items are specified in ems or points, and others in pixels. You see this most often where CSS styles using one unit have been assigned to links while CSS styles using another unit are assigned to the body text. If you view the page at something other than 100% scale the link will often appear over nearby text and the area where the link should be is blank. I run into this a lot because my near vision is poor enough that I usually run my browser scaled at about 150%.

To be fair, I've seen similar, though different, problems in Firefox (haven't messed with Chrome, yet, and don't really plan to). The first version of Firefox that supported scaling pages was every bit as bad as IE7, though the problems were different. The simple fact is that none of the browsers are actually 100% compliant with any of the W3C standards. In my experience (as a developer) IE actually "tries hardest" to guess what an author probably intended when they have "bad" html - and sometimes that causes a lot of heartburn. There have been several times I've griped about IE not doing what it was supposed to with my HTML. Then I try it in Firefox and discover the entire section missing. Then I go in and find the bug in my html and suddenly it works in Firefox and works as I expected in IE...

I won't even use, and no longer bother to try to develop for, Netscape Navigator. The only thing that pig was ever good for was error checking your HTML because if you had anything wrong with your source HTML the chances were it wouldn't render at all!

I have IE7 at work, and had the problems on it that started this thread. I use Firefox 5.0 at home, and have had zero problems. The double word problems happened in IE7 at fully maximized window size, and also at some scaled-down window sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by man dough nollij View Post
    I have IE7 at work, and had the problems on it that started this thread. I use Firefox 5.0 at home, and have had zero problems. The double word problems happened in IE7 at fully maximized window size, and also at some scaled-down window sizes.
    What I was refering to was not the window size, but the scaling size (i.e. if you use the mouse wheel to zoom in or out on the page). IE remembers the last setting (usually) so a lot of people aren't even aware that they're browsing at something other than 100% scale factor.

Firefox 5 is the latest version available, while IE 7 was an ill-advised kluge rushed out to make Vista look worthwhile. It's more fair to compare FF5 to IE8 as they are the same "generation," implementing (more or less) the same version of the W3C standards and the same feature sets.

BTW, if anyone is still using FF3 or FF4 I'd highly recommend upgrading because there are reportedly some troublesome security issues with both...

BTW - as a long time Unix-head I despise Microsuck - but pretending that other browsers are God's gift to the Internet isn't realistic, either.

Blog Entries

Just for grins, where are you finding Firefox 5? Their website lists 3.6.3 as the latest release?

Jamie

You're right. Mine is 3.6.3. If you go to Help>About, there is a prominent text that says Mozilla 5.0 that fooled me.

I'm also using FF v3.6.3 and / or IE 6. IE . IE v7 & v8 seem to have so many user problems listed on the I'net that i've not tried either of them. I used Google Chrome for a couple of days & ended up with a Trojan Horse that took me ages to get rid of (purely because i didn't know the method) but there must have been a security leak somewhere during the download - so, beware & ensure that your anti-spyware etc. are up to scratch to at least detect these things if you're thinking of changing your browser.
    As an add-on,i managed to open the infected folder on my PC & terminated the Trojan - so i'm infection free,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Yeah, 3.6.3 - the Mozilla thing bit me too. Meaning it was probably a version based on Mozilla 4 that was the one I was thinking of with security issues.