Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easiest, Most forgiving mandolin ?

Default Re: Easiest, Most forgiving mandolin ?

They are all forgiving, I don't think the mandolin cares whether you hit the right note

or something accidental.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Timleo View Post
    Seriously though, I'm curios about this too. My old FF breedlove barked like no tomorrow, and as far as I can tell, the KF is the same mando, just with a chopped off scroll, essentially.

Details!
    It's just a standard Quartz KF with an internal pickup, FT74 strings, strap button on the neck heel, per Breedlove, and an arm rest. I had my repair lady set it up, check string seating on nut and saddle, and check the mating of the bridge feet to the top.

Even with the Tone-Gard, The low end is much weaker than my A5G and F12, but the high end is nice and clear. Compared to the other two, there's really no bark and so-so midrange, but with that wider nut and radiused board, it is so easy to play. The neck profile is chunkier than the Gibsons or a Yellowstone that I just picked up, but that doesn't bother me any.

I used to string it with J74s, and I didn't detect very much difference. I don't have a heavy touch, so it could be that I will have to use a heavier pick and bang on it harder than I am. At present, it just gets lost amidst the guitars and banjo in the group that I currently play with.

There's a higher-end Breedlove McKenzie in a local music store that I played recently, and I can't say that I was very impressed with the volume from it either (not nearly so that I would pay the extra $ for it). I got to do an A-B comparison with a guy's Yellowstone at a workshop recently and compared to my KF, it was like his Yellowstone had a built-in amp. I also got to A-B the instructor's Heiden, with the expected results.

Not much more to say other than that the KF is a very lightly-built mando -- compared to the F12, it's like comparing an L-50 to an L-5. I take it everywhere because it's so easy to play and I could live with damage or loss a lot easier than I could with my other mandos (I am also very partial to the satin finish). Based on the $800 price of a used KF that was advertised recently on this site, it would be hard to match with a comparable USA-made mando. That's about it.

From the standpoint of willingness to take abuse it would be hard to beat my Mid-Mo. It is the one I learned on and I am legally blind so I am constantly banging into chairs, tables, doorways, etc. After abusing it for roughly 6 years my cost per hour of playing time is down to roughly 12 cents per hour of playing. It is still playable but needs work so I wouldn't try to sell it as is. But what a great investment it was!!! It is exactly as advertised, a reasonably priced quality American made mandolin for the committed mandolin player. And usually you can pick up a pretty good one in the classified section for $350 - $400.

This is the only new mandolin I've purchased so I can't speak for or against other makes. Dulak seems proud of his mandolins and I am sure would be helpful with support and advice regarding his product.
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    They are all forgiving, I don't think the mandolin cares whether you hit the right note

or something accidental.
    Ha Ha Ha ,,,,sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by gymboss76s@ View Post
    Ha Ha Ha ,,,,sweet.
    Well first night with my brand new Big Muddy Mw-0w. Wow ,,,I am in heaven. B.T.W. I told Mike Dulak how many people mentioned his mandolin. He was both very kind and generous. I want to thank everyone for their support it is greatly appreciated.
    Peace.

Thanks for following up. Enjoy it!

Josh