Thread: Repair/setup recommendation near Omaha, NE?

Default Repair/setup recommendation near Omaha, NE?

Yikes! Was playing my Kentucky KM-180S just now, and a section of the nut below the two E strings snapped right off and flew across the room.

I had just lowered the bridge after having the action set pretty high after a few months, so that definitely had something to do with it. But, shoot -- I'm gonna go bonkers without my mando for a while! I think it's probably a good time to get a bone nut on there instead of the stock plastic one, and have some of the instrument's other issues examined by an expert as well. Can anyone recommend a luthier around these parts that knows mandolins? I've gone to John Hargiss before and wasn't satisfied with his work. I'd love to take my mandolin to Mass Street Music down in Lawrence, but it could be quite a while before I'm able to get down there.

Default Re: Repair/setup recommendation near Omaha, NE?

The luthiers at Mass Street are very good. Independant luthiers in Lawrence include Steve Mason and Leo Posch, both VERY highly recomended. Closer to you, I know not. It is possible to find a piece of Corian countertop material and do it yourself. At least some thing to get you by short-term. Online instruction is available. Google or Bing would probably get you there.
    Mike Snyder

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by loess View Post
    ... and a section of the nut ... snapped right off and flew across the room.
    Been there, done that! Except it was a friend's guitar and I was lowering the nut slots; I think it hit a wall and the ceiling before it hit the floor. Talk about a sinking feeling!

Not to disparage your mando (I thrive on cheapos), but a 180S doesn't have a whole lot of value to lose thru non-expert repairs. If you're generally handy and the nut piece isn't bent or squashed and it fits cleanly, do what I did to my friend's Yamaha: superglue! It's held for about 20 years now and, yes, we're still friends!

And/or, see Frank Ford's Fret.com for the "on-line instruction" that Mike mentioned. Good Luck!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We can help you out at our Dietze Music store at the Montclair Plaza. If James is backed-up, we can transfer it to Lincoln (and back) to have Dustin work on it. He's our mandolin guy, and the turnaround should be quick.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    We can help you out at our Dietze Music store at the Montclair Plaza. If James is backed-up, we can transfer it to Lincoln (and back) to have Dustin work on it. He's our mandolin guy, and the turnaround should be quick.
    Oh gosh, Ted. I don't know how I managed to forget about you guys! . I guess probably because I'm not out in west O too often, so I've not been in to Dietze in quite some time. Soon as I drum up a few bucks I'll bring my mando in. Thanks!

Ed, thanks for the tip...I've been wanting to get a bone nut on this thing anyhow, so I'm gonna stay away from the superglue. But I'm with you on the el cheapo route, no offense taken there! Love my Kentucky (it's an older 80s model) and at the moment the mando of my dreams is still, well, in my dreams...