Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travis Finch's Final Recital

Default Travis Finch's Final Recital

Hey there everybody,

The date is fast approching and I figured I'd put the word out there about my fourth year recital.

Where:
    The Peacock Room
    Trinity College of Music, London

Here's a map
    (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf...h&z=16&iwloc=A)

When:
    June 17th
    5:15pm

The program is set as:

Scarlatti-Sonata in E minor (W/Emily O'Hara-guitar)
    Masaji-Sakura
    Kuwahara-Jongara
    Angulo-De Aires Antiguos (W/Emily O'Hara-guitar)
    Lessa-Pimenta na Pupila (W/Emily O'Hara-guitar and Nick Ball-percussion)

I will hopefully be able to get some good video and sound recordings to share. If you're in the area, I'd love to see you there. It's a beautiful campus and it should be a great evening of music.

Thanks,
    Travis

Default Re: Travis Finch's Final Recital

Good Luck!

I look forward seeing the videos (as I won't be able to make the trip to London from the States )
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Give it your all, Travis!

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Looks like a great program! All good luck to you!

JR

Blog Entries

I'll have to cheer you on from the Eastern USA. Best wishes and knock em dead!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Well done for notifying everyone Travis.
    It promises to be a really eclectic and interesting programme. The final piece is a modern Choro and Travis played it last week with Emily and Nick to Ricardo Sandoval at a masterclass. Ricardo really enjoyed it and complimented them all on it and the spirit they captured and then they played it again with Ricardo joining in.....very cool.....I was a very entertained bystander for once and really enjoyed the whole class but especially the choro.
    Jongara is shaping up well....very good piece when approached musically and carefully...exactly what you're doing Travis!!
    GO TRAVIS! :-)

Good luck to you, Travis!

That's an exciting programme!

Cheers, Alex.

Travis,

Best to you on your upcoming (final) recital. I will also have to look forward to audio/video postings.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Hey Travis,

Good luck on the recital. Super exciting time. Just think....you will be all done when the last note is played. The only thing left is the trip to the pub right after. I was hoping to fly out to London to attend your recital. Unfortunately my own schedule doesn't allow enough time to fly to London and make the most of the trip. I'll have to catch you at your & Emily's next performance.....maybe debut USA appearance. Best wishes.

Chris....

Michael Reichenbach

Hi Travis!
    Good Luck for your final recital! It would be rally nice to get videos!
    Best wishes
    Michael
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

good luck and have fun Travis..
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Gee, Travis, it sounds so . . . final. I'd like to hope we'd be hearing more from you someday. Still, congrats on the milestone performance. We shall watch your future career with considerable interest. And certainly hope for an opportunity to hear a recording of the performance.

Hey everybody,

As I've gotten used to everyone around here calling their fourth year recitals their 'final' recital, the somewhat cryptic overtones of the tread title escaped me.

One more day, looking forward to seeing everyone who can make it and many thanks for the support of those who can't.

Videos hopefully to follow soon!

Travis

Oh, and Chris...unfortunately the big release at the pub may have to wait for a day. I'm performing the Sprongl on Friday with Richard Balfour for his Masters recital!

Today is the day. I'm really excited as I know Travis has worked really hard. Now he needs to just go and enjoy himself!!
    I'll be there!
    Travis and I will both report back I'm sure!
    Ali

Nothing like the pressure of both you and your mentor posting on the same forum... ;-) Luckily, in my years, it was only behind closed doors (of the charming-yet-awsome Toscanini Studio, on the 6th floor of the Manhattan School of Music, overlooking Riverside Park) that such commentary was aired. Lessons would begin with a grin and a cry of "Go!" I would take a deep breath, sneak a peek at Arturo T's portrait staring me down from the wall, and put bow to string...

But young people nowadays are tougher, stronger, and better than we ever were. In short: go, Travis, GO!

Cheers,

Victor

Well - what a corker! Travis played out of his skin! I knew he was good and we knew he'd really put the work in - but boy! did he deliver?! Brilliant. I was SO proud of him. The programme was very balanced and worked brilliantly - it was full of vitality, colour, texture, contrast, emotion, brilliant ensemble playing and had a lovely spirit and sense of fun in the right places - aside from a few minor slips, it was also almost flawless.
    WELL DONE TRAVIS! Also a big thank you and well done to his long serving friend and guitarist Emily and her boyfriend, the brilliant percussionist Nick - they both helped Travis to achieve his goal and helped to create a lovely atmosphere on stage. Thanks you two!
    YAY YAY!

Blog Entries

Now those are some accolades, people! Congratulations Travis. I'm looking forward to the videos.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Okay, I know I should be getting some rest because I have to turn around and play in a friend's Master's recital tomorrow (this?!?) morning but I just wanted to say thanks to all those that could make it to my recital this evening. You all created an atmosphere that felt like it was a recital rather than an 'assessment'. Go figure, the culmination of four years of study and instead of nerves, I just really wanted to play...huh.

As Ali rightfully pointed out, I really couldn't have done this without the help of my duo partner Emily, who snagged me up as soon as she saw the mando case on my back four years ago and we've been going strong since. Also, to her partner Nick, who not only hasn't minded me pulling her away for rehearsals that run late into the evening but also invested in and learned how to play the pandeiro recently (he is another Trinity College of Music alum, jazz drummer and percussion) and joined us on stage for a pretty smokin' little choro number to cap off the recital.

Lastly, I have to recognize Ali who has been the embodiment of all the things you might wish for in a teacher at music college. Insightful, helpful, challenging and never anything less than supportive. You rock, Ali!

I feel like I might be gushing a little bit here, but these people truly do deserve all the credit I can provide and then some.

Videos will be posted soon, I just have to cut them up and get them online...after my conducting and arranging assesments, that is...maybe sooner

Thanks for the support folks, what a wonderful community it is here.

Stay tuned!

Travis

Insightful, helpful, challenging and never anything less than supportive.
    "Challenging" is a politically correct term for BULLYING! But I hope it was nice and useful bullying!!
    Good luck at Richard's recital with Sprongl today. That's bit of a killer too.....hopefully you'll both play in the same spirit as yesterday. Good luck to Richard for his big day too.
    Ali

At my previous office, visited as it was by all and sundry (students, faculty, administration, and what-not), each with his/her own peeve-du-jour, I had a most useful sign posted on the wall. It read:

We are refreshed and challenged by your unique perspective. Thank you.

We truly were ;-) So I am just as sure that your unique ~contribution~ to Travis' education was most, er... challenging. That, at least, is my own take on the compliment.

Cheers to you both,

Victor

"Challenging" is a politically correct term for BULLYING! But I hope it was nice and useful bullying!!
    Very useful indeed. It's no problem anyways....We take it out on our students now. hahahaha. And so the cycle continues.

I second everything Travis said in his last post.

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for all your messages of encouragement and luck to Travis - I know I can speak for him and say that he really appreciated them. All I can say on the challenging/bullying front is that you and Travis should be grateful that I didn't complete the cycle of teacher student etc..... Hugo's teaching methods were DEFINITELY on the Bullying side of Challenging! The faint praise I ever got from him was then immediately followed by "for a girl". Oh well...I guess it worked! Maybe Travis will keep up the recent mandolin trend at Trinity set by you and George for getting a medal and top honours to leave Trinity with.....we'll see......he certainly gave it his VERY best shot and you can't ask for more than that!
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    The faint praise I ever got from him was then immediately followed by "for a girl".
    My late teacher gave his first recital (on violin) at age 8; his last public performance (on the bass) was at age 89. Glowing with his ever-generous smile, he reported to me that, on both occasions, the compliment he received most commonly was that he "he had played quite well for his age".

I therefore hereby propose some new legislation, namely that all addenda, secondary clauses, parenthetical phrases, and other such annoying suffixes to compliments be forever banned! ;-)

My unqualified compliments to all of you, currently or formerly at Trinity. Quite the beehive!

Cheers,

Victor

Hello Everyone,

I've finally finished editing, cutting and posting online. Youtube seemed to be playing up and didn't like the length/format of some of my videos so I had to find a way around it. Apologies for the somewhat questionable visual quality of the videos, it was zoomed in from the back of a pretty big room. I did manage, however, to splice in the audio from the Zoom recorder you see at our feet onstage. It's the raw signal from the recorder, tempting as it was to pretty it up with computer wizardry and ju-ju. I think overall, it does provide a pretty clean and reasonably good audio feed though.

I do want to thank Simon for taking a peek at my camera from the back and correcting my haphazard placement and doing some zooming in and out on the fly. As intersting as it would have been to watch Emily play a duet with my friend Brian's head, the angle of the shot was better after Simon moved the camera.

So, first up is the Scarlatti, Sonata in E Minor-K. 81
    I. Grave
    II. Allegro
    III. Grave
    IV. Allegro

Last edited by Travis Finch; Jun-20-2010 at 4:34am.