Thread: Crossing Abbey Road

Default Crossing Abbey Road

This really has nothing to do with mandolins other than Mandolin Mick crossing Abbey Road in London, June 2005.

Abbey Road is located in St. John's Wood, an affluent area of London. Londoners who drive there expect to be delayed by clowns (like me) delaying their commute by having their picture taken in the same way the Beatles did for their album. I'm barefoot because I was the bassist & keyboardist for Apple Core, a Beatles tribute band here in Milwaukee, and wanted to look like McCartney. It took lots of pictures and a frustrated wife & daughters to get this shot. People smiled in their cars.

Anybody else have their picture taken crossing Abbey Road?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crossing Abbey Road 001..jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	58452  

Default Re: Crossing Abbey Road

I like the car behind you almost in the position of the VW with the plate 28if.

Santiago-

You know, there was a VW in the parking lot when I was at the studio, but not yellow. It's in my pictures somewhere.

The reason I put that up is we finally figured out how to use the scanner on our printer. That picture is one that my daughter took and I only have it as an 8x12.

lucky you...funny thing is,i pulled out my abbey road lp and started comparing your pic and the cover...just to see what all look's the same after all these years...if i ever get a chance to go there,i'd probably do the same..can't imagine getting in there to see the place? i would freak out??seeing where it all went down...
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Dan-

Yeah, I've been to London many, many times and it's just so cool to be in those places where the Beatles made all that history. Sometimes it's sad like the Apple headquarters on Savile Row and the location of the Apple Boutique on Baker Street because there's no evidence that this was the center of the `60's rock world. But it is interesting comparing my picture with the album cover. The lighting is very different but if you look closely it's about 95% the same. The zebra stripes are a little different and the light poles are a different color, but London always looks the same; only very clean.

Here's a picture in front of Sticky Fingers Restaurant, owned by Stones bassist Bill Wyman.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sticky Fingers 001..jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	58495  

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

If anyone has ever watched the "Live From Abbey Road" series on the Sundance Channel you've seen numerous shots of people doing the exact same thing. Looks like quite the tourist attraction!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    If anyone has ever watched the "Live From Abbey Road" series on the Sundance Channel you've seen numerous shots of people doing the exact same thing. Looks like quite the tourist attraction!
    It's dangerous!!!
    Folks have indeed been killed there, and I felt like I could get killed at any moment....

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hoover View Post
    ..can't imagine getting in there to see the place? i would freak out??seeing where it all went down...
    A company I worked for a while ago needed some work doing & we got the guys at Abbey Road to quote for it (can't remember if they did the work in the end or not). After we'd met with them we were walking back out & one of the guys said "do you want a quick look in studio two, it's empty". Definitely one of my better mornings at work!

Hi,
    I usually post in Classical section but just thought I'd jump in - I play/record there fairly regularly. Mostly for film but also some CDs. Most recent projects there were sound track for Fantastic Mr Fox and to record a track for the filming (dance scene) of The Tourist which is Angelina Jolie and Jonny Depp's new movie - quite cool to think they filmed dancing to our track!
    Its a cool place, really enjoy working there but canteen is #### - especially on Sundays!
    I'll hop off back to the classical section now!
    Sorry to butt in!
    Ali

I've no pics of myself crossing there, but a few of my favorites are below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simpsonsabbey..jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	58528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51aU6-s0uxL__SS500_..jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	58529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	513NZYQ712L__SL500_AA300_..jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	58526

You can find these and many other clever (and not so clever) Abbey Road parodies at this link, including another favorite of mine not suitable for inserting here, the cover of The Abbey Road EP by the Chili Peppers.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    it's just so cool to be in those places where the Beatles made all that history.
    I've never been to London but I once entered the David Letterman Theater (formerly the Ed Sullivan Theater) in New York through the stage door -- when I suddenly remembered the photo of the Beatles rushing through it. I got goose bumps! I mean, I used to write about entertainment, so I've met many celebrities (George Martin, for example, but no Beatles), but that was one of the coolest feelings. Sort of hallowed ground I guess... like sitting on the porch in Jerusalem Ridge. Heck, I once stood center stage at Carnegie Hall. Fortunately for the music world, it was during the renovation.
    Last edited by Elliot Luber; May-17-2010 at 9:10pm. Reason: addition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    I'll hop off back to the classical section now!
    Sorry to butt in!
    Ali
    Don't be sorry! Lovely to hear from anyone involved with the making of "Fantastic Mr. Fox," one of my favorite movies of last year. It got discussed hereabouts back when it was in theaters, mostly regarding Alison Stephens' contributions. In fact, if this is the illustrious Ms. Stephens, thank you for that, and your many contributions to the world of the mandolin.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Ali-

You're not butting in! Honored that you would reply, or even read my thread.

The best picture of me in my life is standing on the Abbey Road steps, but I lost it when my old computer crashed.

Love your work!

agreed...Ali,no need for you to apologize...greatly appreciated...this is what's great about the Cafe here,there's so many room's full of friendly,mandolin loving people...i,personally,like to run down the halls,checking all the room's out..fun to run...haven't been hollered at yet...cheers
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Yup thats me! Alison Stephens, better known as Alimandolin! (or just plain Ali!)
    Thanks for being so welcoming guys!
    I'm going to run down the halls more from now on....its fun!
    Ali

Blog Entries

Well, of course we're welcoming. We're admirers, and probably just a wee bit envious! (And perhaps just a touch impressed with our cleverness at having deduced your identity.)

Just wondering, as The Rolling Stones have been on my mind lately - is there a Stones equivalent of the attention Abbey Road gets? Is there a studio as intricately associated with their recordings which gets similar attention? I think Olympic Studios was one place they worked a lot. Of course it's different because there was no album with a studio as its title but still ... Anyone know?

I have a brush with stardom also.... I played a club in Davenport Iowa back around 1980 called the Col Ballroom. Jimi Hendrix had played there in 1967 or 68 and had signed the backstage wall. I, of course signed my name right beside his.Yeah....me and Jimi were tight
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Just wondering, as The Rolling Stones have been on my mind lately - is there a Stones equivalent of the attention Abbey Road gets?...
    Main Street
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim macdaniel View Post
    main street
    ... ... ... ...

Yeah, Olympic Studios is where not only the Stones, but The Who & Zeppelin recorded.

The Stones' golden age is `68-`72; Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Get Yer Ya-Yas Out, Sticky Fingers & Exile on Main Street.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

This thread has been great, it's just missing any mando content...so let me help. :-)

Peter Mayer's recent release Hello Goodbye features Mac Macanally doing some crazy mando work on a couple/few cuts. While most of us would recognize Mac most quickly as a guitar guy, he certainly has his chops on mandolin as well.