Thread: PRELUDE by VICTOR KIOULAPHIDES on Youtube.

Default PRELUDE by VICTOR KIOULAPHIDES on Youtube.

Hi all,

Today I want to congratulate Victor and his family and I do that with a little video gift playing his wonderful ‘Prelude’; the first of five ‘dances’ belonging to the ‘Suite for Ali’.

It was composed for 'our own' Alison Stephens, who premiered the Suite at the Dartington Festival in 2009. The composition is intended by Victor as a tribute to all the great masters of the High Baroque and meant to be performed either on the (octave) mandola (GDAE) or on the mandolin.
    And since the (octave) mandola was the instrument of Ali’s choice to perform the Suite with, I choose the Liuto moderno to play it. Also because I like to play the 'Prelude' very much and the Liuto moderno ánd really like to bring that seldom heard instrument under the attention of more interested people.

So, here is the ‘Prelude’ played on a Liuto moderno; one of the largest instruments of the mandolin family.

For those who are unfamiliar with the instrument, here is some more info: The Liuto moderno is a large plectrum played instrument with five double metal strings developed around 1890 in Italy as the tenor/bass mandolin of the Mandolin family. Most likely developed by Pasquale Vinaccia, a descendant of the famous Vinaccia luthier family of Neapoli, and the one responsible throughout the 19th Century for numerous innovations related to the construction of the existing instruments ánd the development of new instruments for the mandolin family. The tuning of the Liuto moderno is in fifths and – except for the highest string pair – the same as that of the Mandoloncello (CC-GG-DD-AA); the highest string pair is tuned another fifth higher, to EE. The Liuto moderno unites with its tuning both the (octave) mandola and the mandoloncello in itself. And that is, apart from the fact that it is such a wonderful piece, the main reason why I like to play this particular music on the Liuto moderno. No alterations needed, right at pitch and as it was intended to sound.

The Liuto moderno, also known as the Liuto cantabile, seen in the video was made in 1925 by the sons of Giuseppe Puglisi Reale. It was build in the so-called Roman style that differs from the ‘Neapolitan’ way of building because of its V-shaped neck; radius fingerboard, bridge design and sideway placed tuning mechanics at the slotted headstock.
    The Liuto moderno is strung with five pairs of metal strings. In this case the strings used here are custom made by the German String Makers Firm FISOMA. The highest pair is made of plain steel, while the other four string pairs are all bronze wound over a plain steel core. The Luito moderno was, like the Mandoloncello, mainly used to play the tenor parts in Mandolin orchestras. These orchestra models developed into large sized instruments. The repertoire does however list the Liuto moderno as a solo instrument as there are the fine solo compositions and an unequaled method by Raffaele Calace (1863 – 1934). The music is written down in the treble clef for the four highest string pairs and in the bass clef for the lowest (5th) string pair. Orchestra parts are mostly notated entirely in the bass clef, although occasionally the treble clef is used. Raffaele Calace, as a virtuoso on the Liuto moderno, was also responsible for the popularity of the instrument in Italy ánd abroad. Besides being a composer and performer Raffaele Calace ‘managed’ a musical instrument atelier of great fame that still exists today.
    And it is because of his research and insight into the construction of the larger instruments of the mandolin family that a Liuto cantabile with a smaller egg-shaped sound corpus with a long neck was developed. Raffaele Calace can therefore be seen as the person who perfected the Liuto moderno by creating a model designed especially for soloists to play the solo repertoire. That is why we have two main Liuto moderno models; the large orchestra model and the more manageable soloist version.

Unfortunately, and in my opinion entirely unjustified, the popularity of the Liuto moderno vanished after World War II, as was the case with the Chitarrone moderno, the Mandoloncello and the Alto mandolin (Mandoliola). Their role in mandolin orchestras and plectrum quartets was taken over by respectively the Double bass, the Spanish guitar and the (octave) Mandola. This video hopes to show that in our modern time the Liuto moderno, with its own sound, still has a role to play. Both, as a soloist instrument and as an instrument in an orchestra or ensemble strength.

Thanks Victor and to all, Enjoy!

Best, Alex.

PS. To learn more about Victor Kioulaphides and his compositions, please visit his website:http://home.earthlink.net/~vkioulaphides/
    To download pdf’s and soundfiles of music for mandolin – including the ‘Suite for Ali’ – composed by Victor Kioulaphides for free, please visit this web page at Jim Garber's Paperclip website: http://www.paperclipdesign.com/vk/

Default Re: PRELUDE by VICTOR KIOULAPHIDES on Youtube.

Great composition... great playing!

Alex,
    Your playing of Victor's wonderful piece is emotional and beautiful. I think you over did it with the titles for the video (virtuosa!????) - I'm very flattered but am more considered by most to be a bit insane, obsessive and rather clumsy!? I prefer Virtuosa though!
    It was fascinating for me to hear you play this movement for interpretational reasons and because of the amazing instrument you played it on.
    BRAVO!
    Thank you for posting it and playing it so very beautifully.
    Thank you Victor for writing it.
    Ali x

Thanks Glassweb, for you comment. It is indeed a wonderful piece and so much fun to play!

Best, Alex.

Hello Ali,

Thanks so much for your nice words about me playing 'your Prelude' of the Suite Victor composed for you. It means a lot to me!
    What 'most say' I don't really care for much, although a bit craziness etc. is indeed needed to be(come) a very good musician. And that is what you are; an excellent musician!
    But I'm happy you like 'virtuosa' best !

Nice to hear that you like the interpretation; I want to play it with more 'feeling' than one might expect for an opening piece of a Suite that was meant to be a kind of homage to the great Baroque composers. For me there is so much color in the instrument ánd emotion in this very movement, that sensitive playing just happens.
    And there is of course this glissando from the A- all the way up to E note on the 4th string...

Well, why words? It is simply another wonderful composition by Maestro Kioulaphides!

Thanks again,

Alex,

Once again, I am left speechless-- and this, coming from one who consistently scores high on the forum's blabber-o-meter! ;-)

The playing is absolutely beautiful, and the interpretation is ~just~ right! As the highest and final authority (*humph*!) in matters of period-specific performance practice (for my own works, that is), I hereby officially sanction this interpretation as aesthetically excellent, scientifically accurate, and historically unimpeachable. In other words... GREAT!

Oh, and while I'm at it... I second the virtuosa attribute, as attached to Ali ;-) Now... Maestro, as attached to me, THAT I must take exception to!

As for the liuto... WOW!!! Once again, I can find no words by which to do this instrument justice. Simply put: WOW!!!

*biiiiiiiiiig smile*

Victor
    Last edited by vkioulaphides; May-16-2010 at 6:48pm.
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Lovely interpretation! Thanks for sharing.
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Thanks KristinEliza,

I'm happy you like the way I play it!

Best greetings and success with your wonderful De Meglio mandolin,

Alex.

Say... I think I recognize that Neapolitan beauty... ;-)

Enjoy her company, each and every day!

Cheers,

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    Say... I think I recognize that Neapolitan beauty... ;-)

Enjoy her company, each and every day!
    Oh...I have been...even despite the tuning issues on the upper frets of the A strings. I think I may talk to someone about a new bridge and see if that helps (keeping the original, of course). Luckily I found a couple of people in the Raleigh area that have some bowlback repair experience!

Back to the subject at hand...

I recently downloaded Suite for Ali off of Victor's site a few weeks ago in hopes of working on it. I particularly enjoy the Allemande and Courante, and was interested in hearing how others might interpret the Prelude. Very timely Alex!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by KristinEliza View Post
    I recently downloaded Suite for Ali off of Victor's site a few weeks ago in hopes of working on it.
    Enjoy! For the truth of the matter, however, I point out that the webspace where my complete works for solo mandolin are available as free downloads is not on my site (which does not have that technical capability) but on space graciously granted by my ever generous friend, Bro. James Garber, of the Order of the Bowl.

http://www.paperclipdesign.com/vk/

I am indebted to Jim's kindness, and all thanks should go to him, not me.

As for my ex, I will write you a few words via the forum's Messenger, so as not to digress here.

Cheers,

Victor

That was simply divine. I loved the emotion in your playing and that instrument......wow, do you make that sound excellent!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Thumbs up A universal gem: PRELUDE by VICTOR KIOULAPHIDES on Youtube.

The foremost quality of this piece of music is its universitality. I can hear it solo (like the wonderful rendition we hear here), but I can imagine it in a chamber quartet-, chamber orchestra, or even in an orchestra setting. This - to my mind - is an aspect of wonderful music.

This threads rendition does the piece justice. It is played proficiently, soulful and wonderfully flawless. I very much like the dynamics in tone and tempo.

Whenever I take a look beyond my own bluegrass nose I am awed to find such tasteful, artful, interesting and accomplished music and musicianship.

More power to the likes of you.
    Olaf

*blush*

Thank you both, very, very much.

Three cheers for Alex, whose playing brings my scribblings to life!

Victor

A piece of music, composed by Victor, dedicated to Alison, played by Alex to congratulate Victor, on a very nice instrument……

Put friendship, love for music and the instrument together, in the hands of skilled and talented people
    and then there happens ***MUSIC****

No words can say more,

Viva la musica !

Hello all,

Thanks so much for your comments. I am very happy you liked the music, the instrument and my playing!

And to Victor: what can I say? It is really heartwarming to know that you, as the composer of the music, appreciate it so much. Thanks!

Cheers,

Alex.

To tie in the comments of both Margriet and Alex, I feel I must share some of the charming circumstances, too: I was exchanging e-mails with Margriet, which, coming from me, are expected to be... *ahem*... rather verbose ;-) But, on that particular occasion, I excused myself for my uncommon brevity, as I was charged with the merry duties of cooking for the celebration of my anniversary— all this, of course, in New York. I hit "Send", got up from the computer, and returned to squid and wine sauce (and to the delightful company of my Better Half).

Meanwhile, Margriet took my excuse and "ran" with it, as it were; crossing paths with Alex (in the Netherlands, in turn), she shared the trivium of the happy occasion with him. As a result of all this... behold! A wonderful performance, not just for any local audience, but for the whole, wide world to see, hear, and enjoy :-)

Friendship does work wonders...

Cheers,

Victor