Thread: Ebay embergher

Default Ebay embergher

just want to let people know about this restored instrument in Belgium.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1154

Default Re: Ebay embergher

Yes, I posted it and there was some discussion on the Bowlback of Note thread. The seller is the restorer and is prob one of the handful of people in the world who truly knows how to restore one of these mandolins. The opening price would be a bargain since most of these need some work and this one would be completely restored properly.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I wonder why this didn't sell on eBay?

Tough times, all around, I suppose... The instrument was most certainly worth the asked price.

Also, among the nutty characters who love these instruments (like Jim and Yours Truly), most already have one— or two ;-)

But this seller is a professional (and top-notch) restorer, and a world-class expert on these instruments in particular. He has a shop, where he restores and sells instruments as a matter of course; that's his business. In other words, those interested in his wondrous wares can always reach him directly, via his own site.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Man, if I had had the money at that moment, I'd have gone for it, and felt lucky at the price. One day!

If I hadn't just bought my style 3, I would have gone for that in a flash. That one is ready to go and mine will cost much more to get in shape.

If anyone is still interested, you should contact Kurt directly and see if it is still available.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I want to thank all of you for posting about this instrument both here and in the Bowlbacks of Note thread. I was delighted to contact Kurt and find out it was still available. Kurt has been wonderful to deal with; ordinarily I would have been much too nervous to buy an instrument sight unseen, especially from overseas, but Kurt has such a great reputation, and is so pleasant to interact with, I felt quite comfortable buying this one from him. I look forward very much to receiving it. I am currently playing a Salsedo that I love very much; I can't wait to hear how the two instruments compare, sound-wise.

Jim, I understand from reading elsewhere that you were thinking about sending your No. 3 to Kurt for restoration, is that right?

It is great to hear that you are getting such a beautiful instrument.

Jennifer:
    Congratulations. I have seen Kurt's work and can attest to his excellence. I will probably send my #3 to him, tho it will cost me some for the shipping as well as the cost for his services. He has the added benefit of working closely with an expert on these mandolins, Ralf Leenen.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

CONGRATULATIONS, Jennifer! Yes, all reasonable doubts and hesitations aside, dealing with a reputable craftsman and merchant can be wonderfully rewarding. Caution is, of course, a virtue; on the other hand, international trade would simply paralyze if we assumed that ALL tradesmen are an incorrigible bunch of crooks. There's a happy medium, somewhere in there...

Knowing Kurt's work, I am sure the instrument will be in fine form when it arrives— absent postal mishaps. And as for the original luthier's work, I think nothing more needs to be said.

Lucky you! Enjoy it, and do post some images when you can.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I am currently playing a Salsedo that I love very much; I can't wait to hear how the two instruments compare, sound-wise.
    I look fwd to hearing your impressions upon receipt. In would imagine they would be different very much in feel probably tone as well. The neck and fretboards are different designs.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Where's that flaming jealousy emoticon?

I salute your good judgment and good fortune, nonetheless!

Jim, if those pic's are a good example of Kurt's work, then your new #3 should be outstanding when restored.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I agree, Charley. I don't know of anyone in the US -- and I know some excellent repair guys -- who I would trust with this treasure.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Excellent buy! That's a great price, too -- let us know how it compares to your Salsedo. I'd imagine you'll probably end up playign both quite a lot, as I would expect them to have quite a different tone.

Martin

Hey, thanks everyone! Kurt's shipping it Monday - Jim, he mentioned that Ralf Leenen will be spending the day in his workshop next week. I'm a big Ralf fan - I actually considered asking Kurt if he'd have Ralf lay his hands on my mandolin and give it a blessing, like the Pope, but jokes don't often translate well so I decided against it. Wouldn't want Ralf to think he has a stalker...

I'll definitely report back with a comparison.

Knowing Ralf, he prob already has laid his hands on that mandolin. He is pretty up on the existence of almost every Embergher around and certainly ones in Kurt's shop.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: