Thread: Bill Hinkley in hospice

Question Bill Hinkley in hospice

For anyone that didn't know, we are losing one of the greatest tune masters of violin, mandolin and guitar, Bill Hinkley of Bill and Judy Larson fame. They were originals on the Prairie Home Companion, and Bill was a tune icon.
    Anyone locally that would like to visit before Bill leaves us, he is at Vets Hospital in Minneapolis. There are almost daily jams at the hospital for him. Here's a shot bio I dug up...

http://mnfolkarts.org/bill_judy/bill_judy.html

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bill Hinkley in hospice

A great guy that Bill Hinkley. King of the jug band scene in Minneapolis but he knows just about every kind of music. Thanks for the heads up Hans.

Here's an email I got yesterday that says it better than I could...

"I suspect that some of you may know Bill Hinkley and Judy Larson, who have for around 40 years been at the center of the acoustic music scene in the Twin Cities, and who performed all over the place in earlier years. Bill taught hundreds (thousands?) of students to play guitar, fiddle, mandolin, banjo, and who knows what else.

Bill is at the end stages of his life in the hospice wing of the VA Hospital in Minneapolis, suffering from a blood disorder in which your bone marrow makes too many red blood cells. I spent the afternoon yesterday with him, along with a bunch of other friends, and he is quite weak. However, he was obviously listening to the music around him.

I don't want to overstate it, but Bill has been a unique presence in local music, and the nurses and staff say they've never seen anything like the stream of folks coming in to see him. Adam Granger has been helping care for Bill for weeks, and is at the hospital every day. Garrison Keillor spent Monday evening with Bill and Judy. Here is his reflection from his Facebook page: "Garrison Keillor is visiting a dying friend and welcoming the spring. The knowledge of death seems to quicken the step and then the gorgeousness of life slows us down. Back and forth, back and forth. God forgive us if we do not love this life as we should." Tim O'Brien sent a package to Bill yesterday, from his tour in the UK. Peter Ostroushko was jamming in his room the other night. Bill is an incredibly humble, kind and generous man who has touched many musical lives."

Blog Entries

Soon a life will be lost from us forever but, his legacy lives on in the memory and tunes of his students. I'm sorry for your pain, Hans, and I wish Bill and his family a peaceful and comfortable time. I didn't know or ever see Bill and Judy perform, but they sound like the people this world really benefits from having.

Peace to you all,
    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I just heard - Bill died this morning. A wonderful musician, and as nice a person as you'll meet. He'll be missed.

Pete

My condolences to family and friends.

I was unaware of Bill until just now. Having read the link Hans posted, I just spent some time googling Bill. I wish we had more like him, and certainly not one less. Reading his story I am touched by sadness. Something I wouldn't have expected from hearing of a stranger's passing.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

" A wonderful musician, and as nice a person as you'll meet."

That says it all.

A few years ago Rob Coleman hosted a 70th birthday party for Frank Wakefield here in Minneapolis and I was lucky enough to have met Bill there. We jammed in the kitchen while a wicked thunderstorm came through then ended up on the back porch jamming away on a beautiful, cool, post storm summer evening. Frank playing away with that big ol' %^&* eating grin and Bill playing the fiddle. There was a guy there with a flute who was a very good musician and Frank was having a ball passing him breaks. He was improvising breaks to bluegrass tunes like falling of a log, it was pretty neat. Bill asked if he could play my mandolin and I couldn't give it to him fast enough, one of Hans' F5s. He played Soldier's Joy while I held his fiddle. Thinking back, I can just imagine the mojo that's in that fiddle! That's my memory of him, I'll never forget that evening.

We we're soooooo lucky to have him here in Minneapolis. God bless him.
    Bill James
    www.axinc.net

Rest in peace, Bill. Condolences to his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

I'm proud to have been one of his many students. He had a story for everything...every tune. I didn't realize what a great teacher and resource for tunes I had access to until much later in my life.

Here's a couple links...

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/f.../bill-hinkley/
    http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenois...hinkley_we.php
    Sloan Hamilton

Whenever Bill Hinkley showed up at one of the local old-time jams, we knew were in for a real treat. The scope and depth of his musical knowledge was astounding. He was a stellar musician as well as being one of the nicest people you would ever meet.

I took a few intro fiddle lessons from him a couple of years ago. He was a very patient and thoughtful teacher for a rank beginner like myself, but then we'd pull out the mandolins and rip a couple of tunes together. He will be greatly missed.

"We jammed in the kitchen while a wicked thunderstorm came through then ended up on the back porch jamming away on a beautiful, cool, post storm summer evening. Frank playing away with that big ol' %^&* eating grin and Bill playing the fiddle. There was a guy there with a flute who was a very good musician and Frank was having a ball passing him breaks."

I just ran accross an image from that evening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6050059.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	60581  
    Bill James
    www.axinc.net