Thread: Mandolins in Toronto?

Default Mandolins in Toronto?

Hi there,

I play the mandolin beginner/ intermediate standard and was wondering if anybody knew where to get a decent mandolin in Toronto that is of medium price range re: Few hundred Canadian bucks.
    I was also wondering what are the best folk mandolins to buy in this price range as I like to lay jigs and reels (celtic stuff - hence my name 'raheen' which by the way is a good tune to play if you don't know it!). Any brand/ model recommendations for this? I personally prefer more mellow sounding mandolins.

Thanks in anticipation mandoliners!

raheen

Default Re: Mandolins in Toronto?

Try The Twelfth Fret out on the Danforth. Don't be surprised to find though, that a "few" hundred dollars, Canadian or not, is well below a medium price range.
    http://www.12fret.com/

Thanks Mike!

raheen

Agreed -- Twelfth Fret out on the Danforth is probably the best shop in town for mandos at all levels. I also agree that you will probably be shelling out a little more than a few hundred for a decent starter mando -- lotsa stuff available for less on the web, but not advisable as there's a lot of "junk" there too! A used Mid Missouri (or Big Muddy) flattop of a Kentucky might be worth a look. The folks at Twelfth Fret are quite knowledgable on both used and new. You can check out what's available and prices of both on their web site.
    Too many instruments...too little time

The 12th Fret could probably sell you a Kentucky KM 505 for around $500. They are excellent mandolins for the money.
    http://12fret.com/new/Kentucky_KM-505_mandolin_pg.html
    awm

Definitely "The Fret". Bought my first mando from them a couple of years ago (KM 505). I've dealt with them for years. Great guys, not on commission like some places where the motivation is to sell the most expensive model. They are there to meet your needs as a player. (NFI)

Talk to Brian about mandos

Best

Dave

Thanks very much everyone. Will def check out 12th fret. The kentucky 505 deal looks a good thing to look into. Looks like I'll have to stretch my budget but I'm really glad you all gave me realistic pointers. What do people think of the Trinity college mandolins? I noticed them on 12th fret website and they looked good for celtic type stuff. Any more thoughts?

Many thanks again,

raheen

Quote Originally Posted by raheen View Post
    What do people think of the Trinity college mandolins? I noticed them on 12th fret website and they looked good for celtic type stuff. Any more thoughts?
    Don't have a TC myself, but their larger mandolin-family instruments, such as mandolas and octave mandolins, generally get good Cafe reviews. I'd play both the Kentucky and the TC if the 12th Fret has both, and see what you think.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks Allen. I'll check them out soon at 12th fret!

raheen

As a quick aside, are there any other significant mandolin dealers in Toronto?

Like BBarton, I live 'in the middle of nowhere' and have bought a KM505 and BL Oregon (as well as a tenor bango) sight unseen based on my telephone discussions with Brian at 12fret. They arrive properly set up and ready to play. No disappointment so far.

I play both mandolins, depending on indoor/outdoor gigs, in Celtic fiddle orchestras. and they both sound just great and play well with the fiddles (with TI mediums or JM11s).

Good luck,
    Hans

Thanks Hans and everyone for the input. I've got some more celtic tune titles for you to check out as a thankyou - 'Stool of repentance', 'Da full full rigged ship', 'Red haired boy', 'Spootis kerry', ' Drowsy maggie', ' Devil among the tailors', 'King of the fairies', 'Boys of bluehill' and of course 'Raheen'. Don't have the tabs or the music I'm afraid but they are all worth googling for! I used to be able to play them off by heart but shall have to see if I remember them when I get a mandolin at 12th fret!

Many thanks again,

raheen

Thumbs up Re: Mandolins in Toronto?

[QUOTE=raheen;803418]Thanks very much everyone. Will def check out 12th fret. The kentucky 505 deal looks a good thing to look into. Looks like I'll have to stretch my budget but I'm really glad you all gave me realistic pointers. What do people think of the Trinity college mandolins? I noticed them on 12th fret website and they looked good for celtic type stuff. Any more thoughts?

Many thanks again,

My first "decent" mandolin was a Trinity College, bought about 7 years ago. Although they are touted as only a good "starter" or "intermediate" mandolin, I have gigged with mine (Celtic and Ol'time), both plugged in and miced, and was never unhappy with it.

In the years I"ve owned it, I've never had to adjust the truss rod, but am going to have to do a fret job on the first 6 pretty soon. Also, the bridge might need to be replaced in the next year or so.......(plastic thingy on top is wearing), but there's an ebony one ready to take its place.

There's lots better and lots worse. At the MSRP of 775.00 US (Saga), the price now seems a tad high, but comparing to other flat tops.......not so bad.

Woods are good, sound is good, and the neck is fast. Might be worth a play.

FWIW.........cheers

Mike, I don't know of other mando shops in TO (I tend to stay away from that city!) -- I'm sure there are others, but there is Folkway Music nearby in Guelph, and, of course, the Ottawa Folklore Centre in Ottawa which is closer to home for me.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Quote Originally Posted by BBarton View Post
    Mike, I don't know of other mando shops in TO (I tend to stay away from that city!) -- I'm sure there are others, but there is Folkway Music nearby in Guelph, and, of course, the Ottawa Folklore Centre in Ottawa which is closer to home for me.
    I like the Folkway site, I've been checking out guitars there and I was at the Ottawa Folklore centre about 5 years ago. They only had a few high end axes there, though.
    Maberly is on the #7 between TO and Ottawa, no? I always remember it as being a beautiful drive in the fall. We don't get the colorful foliage out here in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I like the Folkway site, I've been checking out guitars there and I was at the Ottawa Folklore centre about 5 years ago. They only had a few high end axes there, though.
    Maberly is on the #7 between TO and Ottawa, no? I always remember it as being a beautiful drive in the fall. We don't get the colorful foliage out here in the fall.
    My parents live about 2 blocks away from the OFC and I drop in a couple times a year when visiting. As I remember, they tend to have a selection of low end mandos on the wall (I recall one with 'Alabama' on the headstock), but sometimes have very nice stuff in the consignment window. I've played a Brian Dean and also a Weber Yellowstone that were both real crackerjacks, and if I'd been in a buying mood on either occasion I think would have walked away happy.

Sorry for getting away from the original question - don't know anything about Toronto shops.
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

Well, then, any good shops in Calgary?