Thread: Strings for Washburn

I'm looking for a new set of strings that will suit my Washburn A-10. I need a bright and loud sound. Any suggestions?

Hey Jarrod,
    I have a Washburn (M-1) also and I like Elixer strings (light and med. are both good). Some people don't like Elixers for mando, but I have found them to be the loudest and last the longest. But that's just my mando and my opinion.....your mando may not like Elixers, only trial will tell...hope you find some strings you like soon!

Also, if you said you were looking for a bright sound, so, the NANOWEB Elixers have the bright tone and punch and feel like traditional strings as opposed to the POLYWEB, which have more of a quiet sound.
    Hope that helps!

FWIW, I have a Washburn M-3SW and I really like T-I Starks on it. Not the loudest string, but IMHO they are quite bright and open up tonal qualities of the G and D strings that were lost in the mud with J74s. They cost more, but they last almost forever.

R

The advice you've been given so far assumes you have a new Washburn mandolin, but the current models do not include an "A-10" (in recentish Washburn labelling, the A-10 is a guitar). Vintage Washburns have nothing whatsever to do with current (Korean-made) Washburns, so it might be a good idea to let us know more about the instrument first. None of the strings mentioned so far in this thread would be appropriate for an old Washburn bowlback, for example.

Martin

Martin-
    I probably got the exact model number wrong. It's a two year old mandolin that, yes, was made in Korea. I'm getting a Breedlove later in the year but for now I just need to find some strings for this Washburn. Thank you all for your help!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

You won't find a string with a "bright" sound that will last forever. The phosphore bronze is the longer lasting string and the bright bronze string goes out faster.

So I'm told.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A