Thread: Collings/Nugget Tim O'Brien

Default Collings/Nugget Tim O'Brien

I'm considering making a trade for my 2004 Tim O'Brien model for a Rozawood Octave Mandolin 2 model with a few extras. We both want to make the trade but are unsure of the relative values. I'm thinking that the TOB is in the $7,000 to $8,000 range and the OM is in the $4,500 range. The problem is that there are no TOBs for sale and I can't fine any recent sales although I've seen ask prices in the range that I mentioned.

I'm hoping that this knowledgeable crowd can share some insight for us to consider as we discuss this.

Dan
    Dan

Default Re: Collings/Nugget Tim O'Brien

Does your TOB have a varnish finish? I believe, if I am not mistaken the first batch may have been lacquer finish and sold for around $5500, but the varnish models sold for around $7000.

Ben,
    I'm not sure if it's varnish but I think so. It's no 12 from 2004. In any event the 2004 selling price may not be that relevant to the 2010 value. I've emailed Collings with the question. As I understand it the finish was done at the Collings shop.
    Dan

I was the original owner of #26, which was the earliest numbered varnished TOB. There were a total of 35 TOB.s made, only 3 had varnish. A lacquer TOB recently traded hands for $6000.

I think the availability of varnished Collings and Ellis A models has hurt the TOB values some, particularly in this economy.
    Russ Jordan

Dang Russ, you must be well connected! I have #35 and it just arrived from Mike two weeks ago!

There is one in the classifieds for $11,500!

Just to confirm I got an email back from Collings confirming that mine has the lacquer finish. Mine is #12. It will be interesting to see how the one in the classifieds does at that price level.
    Dan

#3 is at acousticmusicworks.com at $7500.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Thanks for the price point/reality check, I think I'll lower #2. It's tricky trying to price instruments like this. I had some pretty good intel where to price it, but only the market knows, right all?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cohen View Post
    Ben,
    I'm not sure if it's varnish but I think so. It's no 12 from 2004. In any event the 2004 selling price may not be that relevant to the 2010 value. I've emailed Collings with the question. As I understand it the finish was done at the Collings shop.
    Hi, Dan. I’m not sure if you remember much of the details, but I’m considering buying #12 Nugget/Collings Tim O’B and wonder if you could give me any idea of how it sounded, compared to a Collings, Nugget, or any other high-quality mandolin. I believe it has a lacquer finish from this earlier thread, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t sound good. Please share your thoughts, if you would. Thanks! Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by chuckinnyc View Post
    Hi, Dan. I’m not sure if you remember much of the details, but I’m considering buying #12 Nugget/Collings Tim O’B and wonder if you could give me any idea of how it sounded, compared to a Collings, Nugget, or any other high-quality mandolin. I believe it has a lacquer finish from this earlier thread, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t sound good. Please share your thoughts, if you would. Thanks! Chuck
    I'm curious if you bought #12. If so, curious about cost/value .. thinking of selling #6. Thx, Jeff.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Mar-21-2024 at 9:42am.