Thread: Canadian music

Default Canadian music

I want to get some cds of Cape Breton and Quebec music. I have seen Natilie Mac Masters and liked her music especially the mare trad tunes. Any suggustions of cds I can get on Amazon?

Default Re: Canadian music

you should go there on vacation dude (i use dude for male or female) its a great place. i think i received a cd in a 12 pack of Kieths beer. i will look for it ,it was a complimation .i can mail it to you. when your there you can probably find what you want at second hand stores for cheap.

If you like East Coast Canadian music and mandolin, then you should check out Elmer Deagle. Unfortunately, it's not available on Amazon but you can still buy the cd through www.capebretonlive.com. I bought it online from them a couple of years ago without any issues. You can also hear clips on his myspace page.

http://www.capebretonlive.com/shop/i...&product_id=79

La Bottine Souriante is a terrific trad based band from Quebec

Also check out Le Vent du Nord, "Dans les airs"

http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/Capebret/capebcds.htm should get you started for all things Cape Breton.

For quebecois, here is a thread in this forum from a couple of months ago that should be a good start.

Have Fun !!

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

For Cape Breton specifically, there's Andrea Beaton, Beolach ( a group with Wendy MacIsaac, Mairi Rankin, among others, now defunct, but fantastic) Ashley MacIsaac, and various other Beatons (kinnon, et al) and Rankins. Try the first three.For the best recording to sit and listen to to try to learn songs off of, try current Berklee student (from Cape Breton) Kimberly Fraser. Getting off Cape Breton, there's a relatively new group on Prince Edward Island that's stunning, called Vishten. Going eastward, there's also Genticorum, and my personal favorite, April Verch, who was one of the featured performers for the Olympic opening ceremonies. And, perhaops the best current Canadian fiddler of them all, Donnell Leahy, with the band Leahy.

A whole other thread can open up with fiddlers who play in the Scots style, which is what Cape Breton is. Cape Breton has the very unique feature of a very strong piano presence in order to really drive the dance. The piano accompaniment is a discipline unto itself, taken every bit as seriously as the fiddle part. Many fiddlers are equally at home on the piano parts, as Natalie is, as is Andrea, Kimberly, Tracy Dares, etc.

If you want to track Cape Breton lineage and cousins from around the world, start with a short list of Alasdair Fraser (with Natalie Haas), Hanneke Cassel, and Jenna Reid. After that, you'll never get through all the stuff. When you're having fun with this, just keep in mind the Scots-Cape Breton connection. It's as pure as can be, with no outside influences until you get off Cape Breton.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    Any suggustions of cds I can get?
    http://www.jerryholland.com/discography.htm
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The Bachands:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBachands?blend=2&ob=1

A teenage brother/sister duo. None better for Cape Breton style music.
    Last edited by Bruce Evans; May-30-2010 at 11:23am. Reason: typoes

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McMandolin View Post
    La Bottine Souriante is a terrific trad based band from Quebec
    D'accord! I saw them a dozen or more years ago at Philly and fell in love with them (OK, one of them in particular ), even though this is far from my music of choice. Talent speaks for itself, in whatever form it takes, and they were plenty talented and lots of fun, too.

For a ridiculously long list of Canadian musicians, go to the wiki - hundreds of 'em. And that's just solo artists - there's another list for bands. Naturally, you'll want some means of narrowing your focus ... that's what we're here for!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

you should go there on vacation dude (i use dude for male or female) its a great place.

I used to live in Connecticut and Montreal was my favorite place in the world. Used to go up a couple times a year and practice my french. Haven't been up there in years since movint to MT but I sure miss it.

I went to the Shetland Folk festival last year, and my favourite band of the ones that I saw were a Canadian band called vishten (actually mostly from Prince Edward island), if you get the chance go and see them play..
    http://www.vishten.net/

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

I'll second Vishten, the local library hosts some of their music and it was very enjoyable, i even managed to get over my innate begrudgery of the piano in trad tunes... and what do you know their website gives out sheet music for the music on PDF.

La Bottine Souriante for another second, have their moments too, apparently theyre quite the boys when playing live, i'll add that i prefer their earlier albums.

Now, i'm going to suggest a collection of albums

4 CD Set, Nimbus Records NI 1752:
    "From a Distant Shore:
    Irish Tranditional Music from Donegal, England, America & Cape Breton Island"
    Recorded live at the Cork University Traditional Music Festivals

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Well, that's three votes for Vishten, even if they're from Prince Edward Island, which is a far cry musically from Cape Breton! The predecessor to Vishten is a group called Barachois, which though Chucky Arsenault and the family are now retired from touring, still sell their cd.s They are also phenomenal. Back to Cape Breton; still need that piano to make it legitimate, so I'd still stick with the guys I mentioned previously.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    Well, that's three votes for Vishten, even if they're from Prince Edward Island, which is a far cry musically from Cape Breton! The predecessor to Vishten is a group called Barachois, which though Chucky Arsenault and the family are now retired from touring, still sell their cd.s They are also phenomenal. Back to Cape Breton; still need that piano to make it legitimate, so I'd still stick with the guys I mentioned previously.
    Lummy, i needs me an atlas...