Thread: Who'll be at Bean Blossom?

Default Who'll be at Bean Blossom?

I'll be at Bean Blossom for the entire 8 days in June. I'm bringing the Gibson and looking forward to jamming & 24/7 Bluegrass!

I was curious, how many of the faithful from the Cafe plan on going? I'd really like to meet you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bill-monroe-beanblossom-festival..jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	58955  

Default Re: Who'll be at Bean Blossom?

Unfortunately,i'll have to content myself with being there 'in spirit' Mick. If i was there i'd pick with you day & night. I'm hoping to get back to the US for a visit in the not too distant future. I was hoping maybe the 'Owensboro Festival',but that depends on whether the Executive Inn will have been re-built by then,as i understand, it's been demolished. I was going to go from there to Bill Monroe's old home in Rosine & pick a few tunes on his porch - maybe one day ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan-

Since I'll be in the vicinity, I plan on taking some time in the 8 days and making the pilgrimage to Owensboro and Rosine as well.

I'll do that on a rainy day or a day that doesn't appeal to me as much as far as the artists on a certain day. The people I want to see most are Jesse McReynolds & Ralph Stanley, Friday & Saturday nights.
    Last edited by Mandolin Mick; May-31-2010 at 5:14am.

Hey Mick - pick a good one on my behalf. I saw Jim & Jesse back in '92 in Owensboro. I saw The Stanly Brothers when they came over here in '66 on their way to Germany. George Shuffler was in the band atthat time. Eight months later,Carter passed away. I had the chance to talk with Ralph Stanley when he came over with the C. Mt.Boys many years back. He was really pleased that i'd been there in London, to hear them play at the Royal Albert Hall. It was quite a trip there & back on a coach - a 360 mile round trip back to back. I was like a ghost when i got back home,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Since they're both in there 80's I know that the time that I can see Jesse & Ralph perform is very limited. You're fortunate to have seen Jim and Carter in their day.

I'm reading Ralph's book right now, great read and written like he talks, gramatically incorrect, full of Southern figures of speech, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    I was curious, how many of the faithful from the Cafe plan on going? I'd really like to meet you!
    I will be at Bean Blossom as well. We were there last year and really enjoyed it. Leaving this friday and taking our time getting there and coming in a few days early to take in a few of the local sites. I am a new/novice/beginner and not yet up to jamming with folks like yourself, but will be looking for slow/beginner friendly jams to sit in on and practice my chop.

best reards
    db
    "Honey do" chores that need the tractor get done first!

I wish I could. My grandparents lived in Columbus, so we spent a lot of time at Bean Blossom, Gnaw Bone and Nashville.
    Eat some fried biscuits and apple butter for me at the Nashville House, I'd be much obliged!
    Staying Tuned

I'd also like to know any good places to eat or anything else that might come in handy!

I'll be there with Karl Shifflett Come and visit with me.

I'd also like to know any good places to eat or anything else that might come in handy!
    Try here. http://bushmanbrewhouse.com/ A bit of an outing from Bean Blossom, but great food, service and hospitality. Owner, John Hall, imports and sell his own line of harmonicas and ukuleles. He is also a principal in the organization of blues, brews and BBQ, held at Bean Blossom later in the year. He toured me through the place last year and showed me the equipment he had set up to start brewing his own beer. From the website it looks like that happened.
    Worth the trip!!!!
    db
    Last edited by misterb; May-31-2010 at 7:11pm. Reason: forgot the link

Nashville and Brown County in general is a neat place to see.
    As I said earlier, the Nashville House is great- touristy, but great. Fried chicken, country ham, biscuits, homemade jam. I dig a stop at Bob Evans too. Being from up north, Bob's is so cool.
    if you get to Columbus, they have great outdoor baseball fields with games every night. Really popular with the locals. If Mariah Pork is still around, you can get great deals on all manner of pork products direct from the manufacturer. Look for the jowl bacon- it's the only way to cook green beans.
    Staying Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by misterb View Post
    Try here. A bit of an outing from Bean Blossom, but great food, service and hospitality. Owner, John, imports and sell his own line of harmonicas and ukuleles. He is also a principal in the organization of blues, brews and BBQ, held at Bean Blossom later in the year. He toured me through the place last year and showed me the equipment he had set up to start brewing his own beer. From the website it looks like that happened.
    Worth the trip!!!!
    db
    OOOps forgot the link to the Bushman Brewhouse http://bushmanbrewhouse.com/

The Muddy Boots Cafe in Nashville is fun to go to. If you don't get enough music at the camp, they have live music on Friday, Saturday, and Tuesday nights. Calzone Jones is also good for breakfast or lunch. While you're in Nashville you might check out Weed Patch Music. You'll see Morgan Monroe mandolins and guitars, but they also have mandolins by Bruce Taggart, Butch Click, and Larry Hopkins, and guitars by Clint Bear and Ron Volbrecht, and some ukuleles by another Indiana luthier named Gill (can't remember his first name). You can also visit Mainland Ukuleles, down the street.

Kathy's Cafe in Morgantown has great pies.

Josh

Thanx guys!

Hey Mick, Take plenty of picks, strings, and water. Hope you have a great time. I wish it wasn't so far from Tx. Aso take plenty of pictures and let us know how much fun you are having. "Goldrush" and "Sweet Blue eyed Darling" are already in the F-9. :mandosmiley

Stanley
    Great Granpas are just Antique little boys.

Pick up a STORM

Hey Stanley!

Thanx for the note! Yeah the F-9's coming with me and I'll have people take pictures of me with it with my camera. Maybe I'll get lucky and get my picture with Jesse McReynolds or Ralph Stanley! Here's a picture of me with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006..jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	59325  

Blog Entries

Nice looking F-9 -- I think the idea to put that sunburst on'em was great. I never warmed up to the plain brown color on the early ones -- but that said they are a heck of a deal in a mandolin -- still are. I might drive over a couple of days.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie-

It''s a great mandolin. Now that you know what I look like, stop & say Hi if you go!

Blog Entries

Roger that! Thanks I'd be pleased to meet you.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I will be there from Thursday on through Saturday night. I have to see Ralph and the few other 1st generation musicians that gave us such great music!
    Maybe we will cross paths. If not have a great festival!
    Dave

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys! I'll bring back pictures and post what went on! Later ...

I wish I was attending. Maybe when I get off this working 5 days a week thing, in another year and a half, I'll get up there for the following festival. Uh, that'll be 2012, unless that Mayan calendar/movie thing comes true.
    Mike Ramsey
    bass flunky/songs written/festival stuff
    http://www.BigMikeRamsey.com
    http://www.RedWhiteandBluegrassFestival.com

I'll be there, but only for two days - Tuesday and Wednesday.