Thread: Best AudioTechnica clip on? ATM350, Pro 35, AT831B, Pro 70?

Default Best AudioTechnica clip on? ATM350, Pro 35, AT831B, Pro 70?

Hi, After lots of "cafe" research for 1 solution to mic a guitar and mando for a gig and to easily switch between the 2, it looks like a clip on is the way to go. All these below are referenced with good reviews on the cafe forum.

Also, trying to use a $250 credit at Musicians Friend, and these are all on MF. Just trying to narrow it down. Any good suggestions??? As always, THANKS MANDOCAFE PEOPLE!

Audio-Technica ATM350 Cardioid Condenser Clip-on Microphone
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...one?sku=270313

Audio-Technica PRO 35 Cardioid Condenser Clip-on Instrument Microphone
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...one?sku=270516

Audio-Technica AT831B Lavalier Condenser Microphone
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...one?sku=270467

Audio-Technica PRO 70 Cardioid Condenser Lavalier / Instrument Microphone
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...one?sku=270618

Also, do I need some kinda Direct Box like this?
    LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...-DI?sku=307160

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Best AudioTechnica clip on? ATM350, Pro 35, AT831B, Pro 70?

I have a Pro70 that I use for bowed psaltery (because the adapter works perfectly with the flat back of that instrument) but I've never played a mandolin on stage with it. I use acoustic-electric mandolins, so I don't need to. I think it's a great mic for the money, but I don't like that the battery box is attached. If something in the box goes bad, I'd be stuck for the night. Not really a big problem, since how many acts use bowed psaltery anyway? I'd just play the tune on something else and no one would care. Mine is a couple of years old, so maybe the new ones don't have that.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Here's how they sort out, roughly:

The AT831b is a lav ("lavalier") mic intended mainly for vocals, I think. It has a bump in the high frequencies to accentuate clarity when used in typical lav mic locations away from the speaker's mouth. I don't think that's ideal for an acoustic instrument, so it wouldn't be my first choice here.

The Pro 70 is another lav mic, and it has a flatter frequency response (no bumped highs). It comes with a battery case that can provide power for the mic, or it can run on phantom without a battery. One advantage with this mic is that you could run the signal into something like an acoustic amp input that didn't supply phantom power, although you'd still need a good preamp because the box only supplies bias voltage to the mic. The battery box isn't a preamp like the one that comes with the K&K Silver Bullet (check out that mic too, while you're shopping).

The ATM350 and Pro 35 are intended for instruments, and both have a fairly flat frequency response. The ATM350 sounds a little better than the Pro 35 -- a bit more detailed and smoother-sounding, but it's a subtle difference. I'm using an ATM350 on my Dobro and I'm happy with it. I use a DPA 4099 on my mandolin and guitar, and that's also the mic used by the guitarist and fiddler in our trio. I think the 4099 is the best clip-on mic out there, with the best mounting system, but people tend to freak out when they see the price.

Anyway, back to these AT mics. The mounting systems are different, which might influence your choice since you're planning on swapping between instruments. The Pro 70 and AT831b come with a clothing clip and a flat edge-mount clip for guitar soundholes. The gooseneck mount supplied with the ATM350 and Pro 35 is ideal for mounting on a mandolin if you have a Tonegard attached. It works great on my Dobro, clipped to the tailpiece with the mic pointing towards the coverplate. However, there isn't a convenient attachment point for that kind of mount on an acoustic guitar. Clipping it to an upper strap button on the neck might work. It might even be possible to use the guitar strap as a mounting point, if you can still get the mic close enough to the guitar for good feedback control.

Good luck with the project!

Thanks, y'all. So, it seems like the ATM 350 and the Pro 35 could be the way to go.

So with these 2, can I plug straight into the PA? Or do I need a direct box or preamp? I assume with the direct box/preamp, I would have more control over volume.

Destroyer of Mandolins

With the Para DI you would have extra control functions, but I don't believe any of them require any assistance to plug into a mixer. Mine doesn't.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post

Anyway, back to these AT mics. The mounting systems are different, which might influence your choice since you're planning on swapping between instruments. The Pro 70 and AT831b come with a clothing clip and a flat edge-mount clip for guitar soundholes.
    So if you are working with an oval hole mando - would the Pro 70 mounting system work well?
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gerety View Post
    So if you are working with an oval hole mando - would the Pro 70 mounting system work well?
    I haven't tried it, but I'm a little skeptical, for several reasons (if anyone here has tried it, please post your results!). The Pro 70 has a clip designed to slip over the edge of a guitar's soundhole. That works on a guitar because the strings are fairly high off the top, and a typical picking position isn't directly over the soundhole. On an oval-hole mandolin everything is much closer to your picking hand, so I don't know if there would be some interference there.

Also, and this is just personal preference; I don't like mounting solutions that couple the mic directly to the top. That can lead to a lot of handling noise, much like a contact pickup. There is also a risk of scratching the finish if you attach and remove it frequently. One big advantage of the gooseneck-type mounts (ATM350, Pro 35, K&K Silver Bullet, DPA 4099) is the way the whole mounting system acts as a shockmount to reduce mechanical noise, and there is far more flexibility in how you aim the mic for best results.

On the other hand, it's tricky to get a mic as close to the soundhole on an oval hole mandolin as you can on an F-hole mandolin, so clipping to the edge of the soundhole might be something to try. If I had an oval hole mandolin, I think I'd just use my regular attachment point down near the lower treble-side bout, and aim the mic up towards the oval hole from there. Gain before feedback wouldn't be quite as good as pointing a mic down into the lower end of an F-hole, but at least you'd get plenty of top resonance.

If you have a pickguard, that's another possible mounting point, with the mic taped or Velcro'd underneath the pickguard, pointing at the edge of the soundhole. You'll probably need a smaller mic capsule than the ones we've been talking about here though; something like the miniature Countryman Isomax or DPA 4060 series.

If you figure out a good mounting method for a mini condenser mic on an oval hole, be sure to post some photos here. I think almost all the photos I've seen on the Cafe have been mics on F-hole mandolins, where it's easier to get a mic close to the soundhole.

Very legitimate concerns. Hope this doesn't go too far off track - but I've noticed the new K&K guitar mic - I'm told there may be a mandolin version coming.

Rob G.
    Vermont

Mistaken Dbl post - sorry! Please delete.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post

The AT831b is a lav ("lavalier") mic intended mainly for vocals, I think. It has a bump in the high frequencies to accentuate clarity when used in typical lav mic locations away from the speaker's mouth. I don't think that's ideal for an acoustic instrument, so it wouldn't be my first choice here.

The Pro 70 is another lav mic, and it has a flatter frequency response (no bumped highs). It comes with a battery case that can provide power for the mic, or it can run on phantom without a battery. One advantage with this mic is that you could run the signal into something like an acoustic amp input that didn't supply phantom power, although you'd still need a good preamp because the box only supplies bias voltage to the mic. The battery box isn't a preamp like the one that comes with the K&K Silver Bullet (check out that mic too, while you're shopping).

The ATM350 and Pro 35 are intended for instruments, and both have a fairly flat frequency response. The ATM350 sounds a little better than the Pro 35 -- a bit more detailed and smoother-sounding, but it's a subtle difference. I'm using an ATM350 on my Dobro and I'm happy with it. I use a DPA 4099 on my mandolin and guitar, and that's also the mic used by the guitarist and fiddler in our trio. I think the 4099 is the best clip-on mic out there, with the best mounting system, but people tend to freak out when they see the price.

Anyway, back to these AT mics. The mounting systems are different, which might influence your choice since you're planning on swapping between instruments. The Pro 70 and AT831b come with a clothing clip and a flat edge-mount clip for guitar soundholes. The gooseneck mount supplied with the ATM350 and Pro 35 is ideal for mounting on a mandolin if you have a Tonegard attached. It works great on my Dobro, clipped to the tailpiece with the mic pointing towards the coverplate. However, there isn't a convenient attachment point for that kind of mount on an acoustic guitar. Clipping it to an upper strap button on the neck might work. It might even be possible to use the guitar strap as a mounting point, if you can still get the mic close enough to the guitar for good feedback control.

Good luck with the project!
    Hi ..great Analysis is done, was thinking of buying 831 for an acoustic instrument, as it is suggested for acoustic instruments by the company, they also give a clip along for the guitar, with a frequency response slightly better than pro35, the only missing thing will be gooseneck with clip, am I wrong somewhere