Thread: Jubileum!

Default Jubileum!

Dear friends,

today I delivered my Jubileum Suite to Alison Stephens and Sebastiaan de Grebber, the two illustrious performers who requested it of me. The jubilee for which this work was composed is our convergence in the Netherlands next October, on the occasion of Het Consort's 20th anniversary.

This Suite was written in a flash of excitement, enthusiasm, and exuberance—it took no more than 3-4 days to conceive and write down; the rest was proof-reading and "simmering". It is a cheerful, unaffected piece, incorporating (freely, of course) various 17th/18th-century English and Dutch melodies. I have tried to keep myself as much out of the picture as I could; the best way to enjoy the party is often from the sidelines.

The "topic" of the suite is the sound itself, the sound of two, glorious instruments, in the hands of two brilliant, sensitive, artistic performers. I am sure that my intentions will become evident upon hearing the opening strains; think "one, big, 16-string mandolin". The performers in question will surely breeze through this score upon first sight; I saw no point in attempting to challenge their virtuosity.

I hope that the recipients of this latest work of mine and their eventual audiences will enjoy this piece as much as I enjoyed writing it, in a moment of effervescence. It is, I must admit, one of the "bubbliest" things I've ever written... Finally (as is my custom), after the premiere, I will make this score available to all, free for the asking.

Cheers to Ali & Sebastiaan! See you both in October.

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Default Re: Jubileum!

Just reading about this piece and your description of it makes me happy (and bubbly).

KristinEliza

Facebook

Blog Entries

COngratulations, Victor. I'm sure it will be very well recieved.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thank you, both. Yes, I sure hope it is well received. I don't know whether this piece is intended for the performance in Amsterdam, or the one in Zwolle (the "home-base" of the ensemble). In either case, and with some help from reasonably helpful acoustics, the two mandolins should sound like one, great, joyful jingle-jangle! That was the intention, at least...

Ali and Sebastiaan will have a "preview" reading of it in early July (hence the delivery today, a month in advance), so they will be able to report on whether I hit or missed the target, so to speak. As for the eventual audiences, if they are left with a smile on their faces by the end of the performance, I will know I have succeeded in getting across to them. Let us see... as the saying goes, "The stage: where all means are tested, and all faults exposed." I hereby indemnify the performers in advance ;-)

Cheers,

Victor

YAY! Well, as one of the VERY honoured recipients - I can indeed vouch for this lovely bubbly, effervescent piece. It will sound glorious on two Emberghers with us knocking the stuffing out of them (artictsically of course )!!
    After a most annoying printer glitch, I finally printed it out and have just "bashed" through it. Its LOVELY and joyous and just the thing for the players and the occasion it was written for.
    When Sebastiaan and I finally met and spent a few days together last year, I think the thing that struck us both the most is that we are boh comnplete nutters! I didn't know there was anyone else with my nutcase attitude except my cousin - never mind a MANDOLIN playing nutter like me!!! It was GREAT!
    Anyway, Victor, you don't really know this, as you've not met us but as it turned out, you couldn't have written a more suitabe piece if you'd tried!! I KNOW that me and Sebastiaan are going to have a BALL playing it! Hopefully the audience will have as much of BALL listening to it!
    YAY for Victor!
    THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    It will sound glorious on two Emberghers with us knocking the stuffing out of them.
    Indeed, that was the... *ahem*... aesthetic intention :-) (Do, however, make sure that the bracing etc. stays inside the bowls.)

I am doubly happy that you are happy, Ali. If this is, as you say, right for the occasion, well... that's the true measurement of success for a gift among friends— nutty ones, especially so ;-)

Enjoy!

Victor

Very, very exciting Victor,

How you have found the time for this to compose I don't know, but it's sure right on schedual! And if Alison says it's the right 'thing' for the occasion... Well, then you got me very curious again. Can't wait to hear it!

Best,

Alex

PS. Here is the 'connection' to it all: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...and-Amsterdam!

Well, my friend... the trick is not having time (which I rarely do), but making time (as I always do) to write music ;-)

Yes, Sebastiaan had mentioned Ali's "preview" visit to the Netherlands and, since I had already finished 99% of the piece in a couple of days, anyway, I simply put the "finishing touches" on it, and delivered it. So far, of course, I have only shared this score with the two performers. I am sure you will be one of the first ones to hear it. And, yes, I am very heartened by Ali's response; I hope Sebastiaan agrees.

Cheers,

Victor