Thread: Flatiron Cadet Neck Repair Costs

I am contemplating buying a Flatiron Cadet that has a neck problem and this will be a "sight unseen purchase". It also has a back separation problem, but that seems to me to be a rather easy fix. It isn't a bad one. What I need to know is, how much will it cost to get the neck back to a position that the strings no longer buzz against the neck? Firstly, does the Flatiron Cadet have a bolt on neck? If I remember correctly the Cadet has a bolt on neck and I'm assuming that with a bolt on neck it will be much easier (less expensive) to get it back in line than if it needs a hot-press, re-fret or some other thing to get the neck back into line with the body. Any help would certainly be appreciated.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

I bought a Flatiron 1N from Elderly that was advertised as having to have a refret. I received it and it was fine. I don't know what they were thinking. I stole that sucka. You never know, you might get lucky. As for the price, I was quoted 250-325 for a full refret, before I received the 1N. Good luck Jim.
    "The trouble with you is the trouble with me, got two good eyes, but still don't see."--J.G.

Sorry I should have read your post again. Re-set I know nothing about, re-fret is what I was squawkin.
    "The trouble with you is the trouble with me, got two good eyes, but still don't see."--J.G.

I can remember, way back, when these mandolins first came out thinking that, "Hey, these little suckers really can punch out a melody!" Now, I'm looking to get a mandolin that I can punch out those fiddle tunes on, and then smirk at the banjo player. If I can get this one prety inexpensively (under $250.00 or so) and then put another couple of hundred into the repairs, I believe that I'll have a bargain. Who knows, you pays your money and you takes your chances, huh? I may end up wth a $250.00 planter too. I was just hoping to get a line on whether the neck problem could be resolved without putting the final cost up there with a Monteleone.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

I have a Cadet and I have no idea how the neck is attached, at least not by looking at it. If I recall correctly from previous posts about Cadets they do have a bolt on neck.

Other than that it is a real crapshoot unless you can get a look at it to see how bad the neck is. Mine had a slightly high action and I filed the bridge down some, maybe if this one buzzes you can shim it up and then replace it with a higher bridge if the only problem is .020-.040 action adjustment. That's just my uneducated opinion as I am no luthier and my home done refret on my Cadet proves it to any who see it. It plays fine, don't look so good.

I paid $350 for mine on eBay late 2002 and it was in excellent condition, but needed a refret 6 mo. later. They seem to have gone up in price quite a bit since then.

good luck
    gw
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

I don't know how the neck is attached, I don't know what the mandolin needs without looking at it, but it wont get you up in the Monteleone price range to get it fixed.
    There are worse things than a $250 planter. Take a chance, you only live once!