Thread: Brazilian player Dudu Maia (incl. video link--really nice!)

Default Brazilian player Dudu Maia (incl. video link--really nice!)

There's a Portuguese bandolim (Portuguese-style mandolin) for sale here in the classifieds. I'd never seen that interesting implementation of the instrument, and wondered how it sounded.

So I checked YouTube and found this great video of Brazilian musician Dudu Maia playing a solo on a 10-string version. It's amazing what guitar-like complexity he gets out of it.

Of course, you may already know all about him here... If so, sorry to bother you.

Cheers, Andy

Default Re: Brazilian player Dudu Maia (incl. video link--really nice!)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fielding View Post
    There's a Portuguese bandolim (Portuguese-style mandolin) for sale here in the classifieds.

So I checked YouTube and found this great video of Brazilian musician Dudu Maia playing a solo on a 10-string version. It's amazing what guitar-like complexity he gets out of it.

Of course, you may already know all about him here... If so, sorry to bother you.

Cheers, Andy
    Hi Andy,

Never apologize for bringing Dudu to our attention. He's a fantastic bandolim player, a great teacher and a really nice guy.

We were lucky enough to have him for another week last week at the Mandolin Symposium in Santa Cruz. This makes something like his 4th year there, and it's a real privilege to have such exposure over time.

Check out his latest project, "Caraivana." It's a pickup band of young-ish musicians deliberately assembled from all over Brazil, and forced to not play together until their first public performance. It's a sun and fun vibe. The playing is at once both hot and relaxed. They were touring beaches and plazas all over northeastern Brazil. You can feel the sun and the sand in between your toes when you listen to it. Dudu's playing in this setting is just exactly right.

Dudu told us that this band was picked to represent Brazil's musical and cultural offerings when Brazil went to pitch for their chance to host the Olympics. It's nice to think that Dudu and his Sunshine Boys may have helped to clinch the deal, and they may yet get the massive exposure that comes from actually playing at the Games when the time comes.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed!

Oh, and for those who are interested, Dudu gives Skype lessons.

Check out this YouTube link for more information. The opening sequence shows the Caraivana band in action, for a bit of a bonus.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

This is one of my favorite Dudu Maia clips:

Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    This is one of my favorite Dudu Maia clips:
    Nice clip. Those three are part of the Caraivana project, and that's a really nice sample of the type of stuff they're up to.

OMG, though, I almost didn't recognize Dudu without his signature 2-day growth of beard!
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Yes, Andy, it's great to see another person discover Dudu and his wonderfully melodic playing. I've taken Skype lessons from him and can say he's a great teacher, speaks fluent English (he apparently spent some of his high school years in Florida). Do what you can to get his first CD, which I liked a lot. I think it's on CD baby, or maybe they now have it on iTunes. I was very sad to not be able to get to the Mandolin Symposium this year to study under him again.

Guys, thanks for sharing the other clips. Steve Davis, when Dudu hit that first upstroke in your clip, I about fell out of my chair—"My God, how did he get that sound??" I quickly realized there must be an unseen guitarist nearby—and indeed, about a minute later, the camera panned over to show him.

That was pretty funny. If you watch it again with that in mind, maybe you'll see what I mean. :?)

Love this video of Dudu at home with his friends... I've got the sheet music to this. It's a great tune.