Thread: Lover's Concerto tab request

Default Lover's Concerto tab request

I'm wondering if anyone has an accurate tab for Doyle Lawson's version of "Lover's Concerto." I asked this question about a year ago and someone was nice enough to send me a hand-written copy. However, the print quality was so poor that I wasn't able to read much of it. I have looked high and low and would be happy to buy it if it has been published anywhere. If anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lover's Concerto tab request

This is the song by The Toys, yes? If all else fails, you could find the Bach original- "Minuet in G major" (BWV Anh. 114) - and work from that. It's in 3/4, though, so you might have to fuss with it a bit.

BTW, if someone can provide me with confirmation of a recording by Doyle Lawson and any pertinent info, I'll be happy to update the wikipedia page, which doesn't mention it.

Never mind that - done.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Recorded by Doyle on his seminal Tennessee Dream recording, ca. 1978. He starts it out waltz time, in G chord (hi, Jim ), then goes to bluegrass time in C.

The lick you are looking for is

8--3--0--5--3----0---
    -6----3----5--3--

(that probably won't line up, but it's on the E and A strings, listen to the solo)

It doesn't - the Eb comes after the 2nd G note on the E string

Unfortunately, the replies I've received thus far have not solved my problem. If someone has a true tab for Doyle's Lawson's version, I'd love to have it. Additionally, as I said before, if it exists in a book somewhere, I'd gladly buy it. Thanks.

I will check tonight. I tabbed it out for myself back when I bought a mirantz tape recorder in the early 90's. I am not sure that I still have it. It would be hand written. If not, I will try to do it again if no one else provides it.

It will be this weekend until I get to it.

Beautiful interpretation by Doyle. He once told me he learned it from a Floyd Cramer record........but added his own twist to it, of course.

Bob
    re simmers

Blog Entries

I've done some searching and come up with nothing, so far. I'm going to keep looking, but I don't hold out much hope. I suggest you find sheet music or tab of the Bach original and go from there. Sure it's not exactly the same - it's in 3/4 rather than 4/4, and won't include any of Doyle Lawson's inflections (I haven't heard his version so I really don't know how it goes nor what all the fuss is about) - but if you collect that sheet music or tab, and Doyle's CD, which you can put through some slow-down program, maybe you can coordinate the information contained in these disparate elements to achieve your goal. That's what you want anyway, right? To play this like Doyle does. Well, it seems to me however you get there, you will be there.

I don't understand this reliance on tab, anyway. Ultimately, one has to figure out how to play a piece on one's own, and not just be told how, either by a teacher or by a tab sheet. You've been on this quest for over a year, and apparently are no closer to your goal. Sounds like it's time to try another approach.

Someone on the older thread said that Niles Hokkanen had a tab for this in one of his books. I haven't found this in my searching, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You might want to contact him directly.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I have it in standard notation, along with two other Bach pieces, fakebook style.

Niles did do an awesome book of Doyle solos, this tune is not in there.

Doyle's version is not the same as was originally written.

It is not difficult, especially if it's slowed down. Nearly all of Doyle's breaks with Quicksilver are crystal clear and easy to hear. He's a super clean picker.

This is an especially good piece if you have a banjo. I forgot who's playing on Doyle's version, James Bailey?

Bob
    re simmers

That would be J.D.

Blog Entries

OK - I found a :30 clip, I think it's from near the end, and yeah, it's spectacular. Worthy of a quest. And way different from the original. Really - the transformation this tune has endured, Bach to The Toys to Doyle Lawson - what a long strange trip it's been for this piece.

Which is not to say you couldn't sort this out on your own, but yeah, I see where help would be, ah, helpful.

Blog Entries

Might have a solution - this site will tab out a recording for you. I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like $10 a song, $20 minimum. This site is weighted toward banjo, and this price may apply only to banjo (although guitar and mandolin are also mentioned) - if they are going to charge you $1 per measure, you may well want to keep moving. But maybe you can translate banjo tab to mandolin tab, or someone else can. I dunno. Worth an email.

So will this young fella, and it's All In The Familly...

http://www.johnmcgann.com/

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the response. I've learned about 70% of it already, but there are a few small parts I can't seem to conquer.
    There's also a video on Youtube of someone in Germany (I presume) who is playing a version that's close to Doyle's version. It's great. I can't access Youtube right now, or I'd paste the url. The company I work for blocks it.
    Thanks again.

Let me know what part you can't get by Friday and I'll do it this weekend. I might not have it perfect but I can play it pretty close.

Bob
    re simmers

Thanks for the offer. The part I have most trouble "hearing" and thus have the most trouble working out is the turn-around, if you know what I'm referring to. It's a little hard to describe a "part" of a song.
    Thanks again.

I think the part of the tune you are talking about is the series of repeated licks over the stop changes - C to F to G chord, and where on Doyle's solo, he extends his playing over these changes and goes high up the neck with C-based arpeggios/intervals. The other solos (banjo, dobro) don't extend it the way he does.

I think I know the part. You're right Alan, he jumps through some arpeggios there. If you figure out the chord changes you'll get it. Doyle doesn't play any bluesy, augmented or diminished notes in that tune, I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Look for the notes within the chords. It also might help to try to learn the last couple of measures of that part first.

I'll try it this weekend if you don't have it.

Bob
    re simmers