Thread: Mandolin Picking with Thumb and Thumbpick

Default Mandolin Picking with Thumb and Thumbpick

My daughter (really a guitar player) brings her mandolin to play when she visits ... as it's easier to transport on the plane and such. She loves to play Celtic and other music with me, but she has serious mandolin picking issues.

I watched her carefully as she picks, and I think she's one of those "freaks of nature" who doesn't rest their right hand on the upper side of the bridge while picking. She anchors her right picking hand with her pinkie and ring finger on the bottom edge of the bridge.

She can't hold a mandolin pick properly if her life depended on it. She said every teacher and fellow player has given her lessons, begged, bribed ... tried everything to instill good mandolin picking techniques. She's watched video after video with famous mandolin pickers offering their techniques ... to no avail.

So, being her Mom, I thought maybe she could work with her "pick style disability", rather than fight it .... so I suggested she get a thumb pick. The way her hand is positioned .... her thumb seems to be in the ideal position to pick away.

She's gifted with the ability to hear and play complex rhythms and tunes, but I pick far better with less talent because I have very good pick holding skills (I'm told).

Thanks for mandolin thumb picking advice and ideas!

MzLoretta

Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Default Re: Mandolin Picking with Thumb and Thumbpick

Well, I guess thumbpicking for mandolin doesn't exist. I googled it and got this thread.

Thanks anyway!!
    Just visiting.

Actually that is how Wayne Henderson plays the guitar. I can't recall how if he plays mandolin that same way or if i ever saw him do so, but I would not be too surprised.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Seems like playing with a thumb pick would be just like picking with a skinny flatpick, that was harder to drop. Was she fingerpicking before?

Quote Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
    I watched her carefully as she picks, and I think she's one of those "freaks of nature" who doesn't rest their right hand on the upper side of the bridge while picking. She anchors her right picking hand with her pinkie and ring finger on the bottom edge of the bridge.
    There's a musician well known in this area who plays mandolin and banjo, and plants his fingers just as you describe. If I could play a quarter as well as him I'd be a very happy man.

If the Celtic music is slow airs it might be possible to use a thumb pick but there's no way that I could thumb pick a reel at dance speed.

Bob Artis plays or at least did play with a thumbpick back when he was with Mac Martin. When I was beginning to have some trouble with my hands and having a hard time keeping control of the pick I experimented with a thumbpick but the angle of attack was all wrong---I almost had better luck with flattening out a fingerpick-- I could spin it around my forefinger until the angle felt right between my finger and my thumb. I discovered a Bluechip about then and that improved my control and I abandoned the fingerpick project. I still think it would work if I could find or make the right size and shape.
    Sometime's people who have a "freak of nature" technique end up with an unusual and interesting style,like lefties that play righthanded instruments but play them left -treble up and bass down. They don't sound like other players. I knew a one armed guitar player, he would play the guitar on his lap - chord with his fingers and pick with his thumb. He was pretty good at it and able to pick some fairly complex tunes, not much volume though.

Radim Zenkl plays some pretty cool stuff with fingerpicks.

When I got my first mandolin I didn't know how to pick. I was picking guitar with three finger picks and resting my pinky on the instrument. I tried this for a while with the mandolin and got some interesting sounds from it. Rather than constantly explain my technique I finally forced myself to learn the traditional style. Sometimes I still try it with the three finger picks. I see nothing wrong with that so long as the sound is ok. I say go for it.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Just one thing missing from your otherwise detailed description - just exactly how does she hold the pick? I mean, I get how she's resting her hand, but what is it about her pick-holding position that is so off?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Actually that is how Wayne Henderson plays the guitar. I can't recall how if he plays mandolin that same way or if i ever saw him do so, but I would not be too surprised.
    Yep. On those rare occasions when Wayne picks a mandolin, he uses a thumbpick & 2 fingerpicks just like he does for guitar.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Thanks for all the replies. Was starting to think I was a little nuts, lol. My daughter picks in a similar style as Wayne Henderson on the guitar. I didn't find vids any of him on the mandolin, but Radim Zenkl picks as I imagine she might on the mandolin. She needs to loosen up that right hand. She has an uber death grip on that poor pick. If she lifts up her hand, strum style, and uses a thumbpick, I think she'll have it.

My Grandson and I both started playing music Hawaiian style on the ukulele. You simply can't go uptight and strum Hawaiian style. He has no problem with a tight wrist. The first thing you learn with Hawaiian style is to lighten up, chill out and loosen that wrist. My daughter's wrist is stiff as a board.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Just one thing missing from your otherwise detailed description - just exactly how does she hold the pick? I mean, I get how she's resting her hand, but what is it about her pick-holding position that is so off?
    She holds her pick between her pointer and thumb, but she holds it like an uptight lady at English High Tea with her pinkie stuck up in the air. It looks like she just picked up a hairball and is trying to toss it in the trash. It's quite painful to see, lol. She starts off in the proper position with the pick on the side of her pointer, but then it goes very bad, very fast.

Hmmm, Barney ... flattening out a fingerpick might work too.

Quote Originally Posted by man dough nollij View Post
    Seems like playing with a thumb pick would be just like picking with a skinny flatpick, that was harder to drop. Was she fingerpicking before?
    Yes, Man dough ... she fingerpicks well on the guitar. I was thinking that a flattened fingerpick might be like a skinny flatpick. I think I'll get her some ... metal so she can bend them and a few plastic ones ... just 'cause.

Thanks for all the replies. This helps ... a lot!!
    Just visiting.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Ralph Stanley picked the mando with his standard thumb and two finger picks on the Stanley Brothers version of East Virginia Blues on "One Evening Long Ago" -- a really neat sound (the commercial version has cross-picked lead guitar). John Duffy tried it a few times with good effect. Hey, as Emory Lester says, it's about making music! If she can do something nice, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
    Ralph Stanley picked the mando with his standard thumb and two finger picks on the Stanley Brothers version of East Virginia Blues on "One Evening Long Ago" -- a really neat sound (the commercial version has cross-picked lead guitar). John Duffy tried it a few times with good effect. Hey, as Emory Lester says, it's about making music! If she can do something nice, go for it!
    Awesome! Well, if Ralph Stanley can do it .... it's legal, lol. He's one of my faves. Thanks!
    Just visiting.

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

I second the post on Radim Zenkl. I had him for two sessions at Kaufman Kamp a couple of weeks ago and he is an amazing player. Check out his site at http://www.zenkl.com/ He showed us how he played with a thumb and a finger pick and it was stunning to see.
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

this is a combination thumb/flatpick http://www.elderly.com/accessories/n...ick--HE114.htm

There is a loop over your thumb, keeps it in place, but the pick is shaped like a flatpick , and so to do upstrokes that will have the same sound level as the downstrokes, you pinch with your thumb against the index finger.

Maybe like training wheels ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks, mandroid!!

I'm putting together a thumbpick selection for her ... I'll include this one!

BTW, I went to Elderly, and they won't recognize my email or account ... even though I just received an order from them. Sent them two emails. Are they MIA??? Something I said???

Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    this is a combination thumb/flatpick http://www.elderly.com/accessories/n...ick--HE114.htm

There is a loop over your thumb, keeps it in place, but the pick is shaped like a flatpick , and so to do upstrokes that will have the same sound level as the downstrokes, you pinch with your thumb against the index finger.

Maybe like training wheels ..
    Just visiting.

I'm a big fan of those Herco picks ... I use a medium one whenever I play tenor guitar. Don't ask me why, it just worked out that way. I use a standard pick on every other instrument I play. A heavy Herco might be just the ticket for mandolin playing.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I'm old fashioned, or maybe lack social contact, I tend to call stores over the phone, and speak to people when I can..

You Might try calling Elderly, Ms Loretta, if E shopping cart scheme won't work ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks, mrmando! I'm always a new heavy pick. Struggling with tremolo right now with my Dawg and Golden gate.

I had a long conversation with someone at the place you mention this morning, mandroid. Since they are a sponsor here, I'd rather not get too detailed. I'll get into detail if anyone wants to pm me. Don't want to cause problems, but I'm not a very happy camper right now. If that changes, I'll post that. I prefer to post successes rather than obsess on the opposite.
    Just visiting.