Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gray Eagle

Default Gray Eagle

I've started working on Herschel Sizemore's version of Gray Eagle. I can tell it will be a long term project . . . the tune itself seems fairly complex, and it seems like there are more than just your everyday A and B parts.

I'm not yet to the point where I can sing the melody, but I really like this version and want to emulate it as much as possible. I love how spunky and melodic Herschel's mandolin sounds. Plus, if I can manage to get this under my belt, it seems like I'll have a whole new vocabulary of mando-centric fiddle licks . . .

Anybody else pick Herschel's version? Any tips (other than a LOT of reps) in understanding how it's organized and how Herschel breaks the melody down?
    Clark Beavans

Default Re: Gray Eagle

I do. This is on Back in Business, right? H picks it clean as a whistle and twice as nice. Everybody seems to do this one slightly differently, and the 4 or 5 parts are either played or not. H has his own way of doing the move up to fret12, very nice. Joe Carr has a nice version tabbed out somewhere.

Whenever I try out a new mando, this tune gets play.

I play it also and can tell you it took me an eternity to learn the durn thing. On the fourth part I could never get the beginning of it until I ran into Herschel at a festival and he showed me what he was doing. A great tune worth the time it takes to learn it.

Sam Bush has the tune on his DVD

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    Sam Bush has the tune on his DVD
    The new one?.
    Rob Tebworth

www.tebworthbrothers.com

Gibson MM
    #73 BRW Varnish F

In the stack, I have the following renditions, either recordings or music:

Kenny Baker
    Tim O'Brien
    Ray Legere
    Joe Carr
    Mark O'Connor (I think)
    Byron Berline
    Butch Robbins (Roland White on mando)
    Hershel Sizemore
    Alan Bibey

All do it in their own style.

Good stuff. DVD ordered. This is the next tune on my list. Grey Eagle's in C init?

A (as in Grey)

I have Herschel's DVD and I play with a fiddler who plays all the parts very well. But, this one has always looked too tough.

There is an excellent version on youtube by Joe Clark, playing his Buckeye.

Bob
    re simmers

The number of parts seems to depend on who you're playing with. Herschel does a mighty fine job on this tune. I've tried learning it but need to get back at it.

It is in the key of A.

I love the way Herschel interprets the melody (really nice on the high part), his rhythmic feel, and especially how the notes just pop out at me. If I listen to it enough, I'll get the gist of it. Eventually.

It's good to know that everybody doesn't always play all the parts - that was one of the layers of complexity that was a bit dodgy for me.
    Clark Beavans

What version is the easiest? That's what I'll tackle.

Grey Eagle seems to be on of those tunes where the fiddler usually plays all parts, but the other instruments just play the first 2 parts........I think? That's been my experience, and also the reason I never wanted to bother learning it.

Bob
    re simmers

I play Herschel's version of it. It took a while to get it down correctly,especially the 4th part,but it's well worth the effort when you get there. In passing,off the same CD (Back in Business), i just 'had to' learn his all time classic "Rebecca",
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It's taking me awhile, that's for sure. I've got a pretty good handle on the A and B parts. LOVE those tricky, twisty, eloquent arpeggios in the B part, also the great relief of utilizing the IV (D) chord - the other parts only seem to use the I (A) and V (E).

Working through the C and D parts, still looking for the (aural) handle on those. Not much time to sit with it recently, but will get it in when I can. Competition is fierce for the home pc, and they're getting tired of hearing the same tune over and over . . .
    Clark Beavans

i feel your pain. I ordered that Sammy Bush DVD. By the time i get it, i won't need it for Grey Eagle. Not to plug them, but was given an ipod touch. What with everything being video these days, I put the Mark O'Connor version (of G-E) and the Micheal Cleveland version, and two others on the touch. Then i take the touch to the woodshed. Funny about the shifting part. I recently learned Road to Columbus. An A tune, and it's got a shifted part. Learning that one first, sure helped me with the next. Musical scerendeputy?

Here is a pretty good live version by a great old-time fiddle player, who just happens to play mandolin (as John Hartford categorized him)....
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's cool Evan, I dig the chime on the high part . . . gonna steal that idea. Boy, he sure drives with his right hand.
    Clark Beavans

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that this tune, from Back in Business, is tabbed out (accurately...) in the AcuTab book, distributed by Mel Bay. That's where I've learned it from. The book has several classics from Back in Biz and My Style, including Rebecca, Joyce's Waltz (very nice F and C waltz), Monroe Country, Amandolina, and even a duet version of Lee's Reel with the second part by Herschel disciple Alan Bibey. The book is spiral bound, on good paper, with really attractive music and tab, showing all the little tricks. But to get The Bounce you have to listen hard to the record.

I like to play Herschel's Grey Eagle, then segue into the most contrasting version I know, namely Monroe's (Richard Greene fiddler)

I learned most of it by ear from the CD "Back in Business". However, the left hand fingering for the 2nd part seemed to escape me & i had to refer to the DVD TAB for that. That said,the way Herschel plays it on the tuition DVD isn't exactly the same as he plays it on the CD,my prefered version of it.
    Thanks for the info.Swampy - i didn't know re.the Mel Bay TAB book,in spite of not being a TAB fanatic,i might just get that to iron out any 'glitches',
    Ivan
    PS - Acu Tab's own site states that this book is no longer available & to contact Herschel Sizemore himself for a copy. I can't somehow see myself doing that so i'll have to have a search around.There must be some out there (i hope !)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sizemore_pop..jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	60574  
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Jul-16-2010 at 1:48am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

All this talk of The Grey Eagle got me digging through the pile for versions. One I really like is by Tim O'Brien, noted out in his Ridgerunner book/pamphlet he did years ago. Somewhat simplified, very direct and to-the-point, just perfect. Another is Ray Legere - oh so clean.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

The AcuTab book is well worth digging for... too bad it's no longer in print. It's a bit misleading to call it "tab" only... I don't like tab either, this has both notation (very, very well done, showing fingerings under the notes (so it's clear what string they're on). The tab shows the strings and frets, not the fingers. So between them you can figure it out. I can do it with only the notation (I am of the Lou Martin school, i.e. notation shows the music, and it's worth learning it) once it's clear what string to use.

And I would not hesitate to contact Herschel, he's a really helpful guy.

Hopefully,i'll have a copy zooming in from the US shortly,courtesy of a gent.on here, who has a copy going spare. I don't very often refer toTAB,but as i love H.S.'s playing,this could be a good book to have handy - many thanks,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Like all Acutab works, it is two staves, notes above tab. Niles' books, the same. Tiny Moore book, the same. The 3 Mel Bay Jethro books, the same. I prefer this format, as

1) can double-check for tab inconsistencies,
    2) good, continual sight note reading practice

Can also do notes or tab only and have plenty of books in tab only - Twin Mandolin Workshop, Joe Carr Merlin book, Ray Legere Common Denominator, Dave Peters, others; same for notes only. It's all good.