Thread: Galax:

Blog Entries

Default Galax:

Galax old tyme fiddler's convention, second week in August, any mandolin cafe folks going ?, if so might see ya'll there, cause if I'm living, I'll be there with my fellow band-mates Blu-Vu.

Default Re: Galax:

I have sent my registration off for the fiddle competition. Will bring along a mandolin, cause I can only keep the cats in a wool sock for so long.
    Look forward to seeing you there.

Mike

Galax, of course. I'll be there, camping with the Del-Tones (but we're taking a break this year from the band competition). Hope the heat lets up, I remember 2008 all too well; my wife nearly got heat stroke.

I'll hopefully be there from Tue on (trying to make it in time for the mando competition!). I'll be over near the tennis courts. Hope to see ya there.
    Mitch Russell

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

Im going to try and make it Sat. Never been before and will be by myself, hope to hook up with some nice people as I am new to the area. Looks like it is a lot like The Smithville Jamboree in TN.
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

Saturday, as in the last day of the fiddler's convention, is absolutely crazy crowded, particularly if the weather is nice.. Think Disney World in the summer time kind of crowded. I guess earlier in the day would not be as crazy, but there's not much picking going on until the sun goes down and it gets cooler. Come around earlier in the week for an evening if you can; it's about a 90 minute drive. I'm waiting on the street Friday for entrance Sunday AM, should be there all week. Come around and say hi. I'll be in a big Silverback 5th wheel, with a white F250, not near the tennis courts (somebody else has a nearly identical camper, but they park by the tennis courts).

Friday if weather is great I'll be there in tow with world famous Monroeist mandolinist Evan Reily.

I'm starting to get ready now, if the old F250 and Airstream don't give me too much trouble I'll be there again for the week.
    If you see a 1976 light blue and dark rust Ford pickup near a 1973 Airstream, it might be me. I used to be able to say "look for the airstream", but there are so many of them now you can sometimes stand and see three or four of them without moving!
    If you're looking for me for any reason, just ask people until you find someone who knows where I'm camped. Ive been there so many years in a row (this will be 27!) that when I get there it seems like I know half the people there!

Unfortunately Sat is the only day I can make it. Does it go through Sunday as well? If so I might have to crash in my car for the night.

Well, the band contest goes until after midnight, and the picking goes on till very late. Sometimes the picking slows down a little during the awards ceremony, usually 2:00 AM or so, then more picking for the stout of heart. Sunday morning, after a short night's sleep, everybody packs up and get outa dodge.

I'll be there, as usual. I think this will be my 39th year! I'll arrive Thursday afternoon and I"ll stay until sometime Saturday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Arnie,

39th??

What were you, 2

Thanks for the compliment, Alan! If I was 2 when I started going, I would be 41. I'm actually 49!

Arnie

Blog Entries

Gonna be in the extreme southern point in the park on the little baseball field between 1st and 2nd base in the grass. One of my bandmates is camping there. Come on over and say hello.

Ill be walkin around carrying a blue calton with stickers on it. Give me a shout if you see me cause I dont know a soul there.