Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neglect

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Neglect

Yesterday at the local garbage dump, I saw a couple of young people with a van who apparently disposed of unwanted heritage.
    I hope this won't happen to any of my instruments when I am old:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cellowreck..jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	60636  
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Default Re: Neglect

The owner is probably under it...

OMG! Rescue it!!! send it to me!!!!

JR

Bertram, you did salvage that I hope!

Young people......

Sheeze......

1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Might have had to go dumpster diving for that...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yeah, really! That's a fair amount of nice dry kindling right there ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roscoestring View Post
    Bertram, you did salvage that I hope!
    Sorry but no, wouldn't like to get acquainted with whatever lifeforms might dwell in there, let alone the owner still trying to play it (think: N. Kidman in The Others - hope I can let go of my OM when my time comes). Not letting an instrument down that road in the first place is the key.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

My friend Bob O rescued the body of a blonde Kay bass fiddle from the curb across the street from his house, where the owner had set it out for trash collection. No neck, but Bob's convinced that he'll either find or make one someday.

Another friend of mine, ace guitarist Kinloch Nelson, played for years a nylon-string that he found on the curb, took home and modified and tweaked until he liked its sound.

I woulda grabbed that 'cello in a heartbeat, for a couple reasons: (a) 'cello is one of the few stringed instruments I don't (as yet) own, and (2) 'cello was the "bass" in many of the 19th-century little dance orchestras that played in western NY. Just got done playing a "Civil War ball" for re-enactors at Genesee Country Village last night, and it was three hours of bowing my (highly anachronistic) Pfretzschner aluminum bass fiddle. A restored playable 'cello would have been a bit easier to handle.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Then there was the Strad cello in LA a few years ago that had been stolen and discarded in the trash, and was rescued for the purpose of converting it into a CD rack. Fortunately the craftsman contacted about the conversion had heard about the missing cello, and the story had a happy ending.

My son brought home a guitar once that he had taken out of a dumpster. The only thing wrong with it was missing a couple of strings. I restrung it, cleaned it up, and eventually traded it for an electric. I traded it at a music store. All my elec. cost me was a set of strings.

If I ever find anything musical that someone has discarded (even if it's just parts) I pick it up and save it for future projects. I'd have dove in after this find too. If I had seen the kids throwing it in there I may have even offered a little cash for it in an effort to prevent any future trashing of an instrument.

I've been in dumpsters salvaging far less interesting things than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rroyd View Post
    Then there was the Strad cello in LA a few years ago that had been stolen and discarded in the trash, and was rescued for the purpose of converting it into a CD rack. Fortunately the craftsman contacted about the conversion had heard about the missing cello, and the story had a happy ending.
    Was that the one the player from the LA Philharmonic left out on his porch overnight?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rroyd View Post
    ... and the story had a happy ending.
    Except for the guy who missed out on having a snazzy one-of-a-kind CD rack and conversation piece!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I would have been diving in that dumpster for sure!
    Jim Richmond

My 1st sting bass came out of a dumpster. Teacher buddy of mine saw 2 busted ones in the music class of his school. At the end of the year he asked what was to become of them & was given one. Giddily driving off to his luthier neighbor, he saw the headstock of the other one in the garbage (they just pitched it).He dove !!!! Traded the one to get the other fixed, which I eventually bought.60's Kay & a King Moretone. They both plunk away somewhere on the planet to this day !

Anyone have a couple used Cello strings for a student model I could buy ? I need the (low) C & (high) A.

Thanks !

That was the Strad that was left on the porch, but as I recall, it was someone else's porch, where there had been some sort of reception or party. (Maybe that explains why it was forgotten!!) It was also owned by a patron or an organization, and was only on loan to the cellist, and I have wondered whether he lost his Strad privileges after that incident.

Folks can live pretty well off what's disposed of in affluent society.

There's always room for cello.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

A friend of mine has an old high school Hofner stand up bass. A woodworker friend of his pulled it from dumpster behind the school and "fixed" it and gave it to my friend. It needed a neck reset, had numerous top cracks and the back was separating. He did have to pay $600 to "fix" the woodworkers "fixes", install an adjustable bridge and have it set up the way he likes. Looks great, very very loud, and the overtones make it sound incredible. Due to the volume of this bass, we've actually had to him have play from the otherside of the room!
    Todd Joles, handyman and aspiring luthier!

San Diego's own Rock Bottom Bluegrass!

Traditional music played without talent!

The greatest band you've never heard!

Quote Originally Posted by toddjoles View Post
    Due to the volume of this bass, we've actually had to him have play from the otherside of the room!
    Humph! Maybe that's the reason I'm always asked to play from the other room!?!?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    there's always room for cello.
    lol!!!

jr

When I had my music store in Los Angeles in the 1970's, my Dad, who was a realtor, was driving down an alley in Beverly Hills to view the back of a home. He saw a guitar neck sticking up from a garbage can. He pulled out a guitar with the neck separated, held only by the strings. Someone had apparently given up on it and tossed it out.

It was a nice Swedish Levin, all solid wood, about the size of a Martin 00-18. I reset the neck, cleaned it up and restrung it. It sounded very nice and was actually in nice condition. The hide glue in the dovetail neck joint had simply given out.

I hung it on the wall and sold it to a young lady for $150, IIRC. We were both very pleased.
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

Blog Entries

I love stories like this: rescue reclamations, someone's trash is another's treasure (after some work and TLC). I'm reminded of the tale told by a member who is the proud owner of a Gibson tenor lute that was fished out of the trash and repaired.

Where I live you can't rescue from the county dump. I tried when the person before me threw out a 60's vintage Fender amp. I darn near got arrested trying. Now, off a curb, I'd do that but it never happens to me.