Thread: Nut/Bridge Lubricating

Unregistered User...?
    Blog Entries

Default Nut/Bridge Lubricating

Hello fellow mandolin players!
    I have an Eastman 515, and it seems to be a very well made mandolin, but it seems to have problems with tuning (the strings are binding). I've tried lubricating the nut with graphite, but that doesn't seem to work well with any strings but the E. (I'm not sure I'm doing it right) Does anyone have a good technique of lubricating the nut/bridge?

-Ben
    Eastman Custom 515
    Washburn D20

Default Re: Nut/Bridge Lubricating

Have you had a setup done? Standard procedure on a new mandolin, and besides getting the action just where you like it, this is the kind of thing setups are for. However, in the meantime, I like the stuff named "Nut Sauce".

If the slot is properly cut, the string itself burnishes a smooth surface that never needs lubrication and never binds on the string. No preparations, not even pencil lead, are ever needed.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Unregistered User...?
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys.
    No. I have not got my mandolin setup, though I'm thinking about it. I think the only thing that really needs work is the nut, which is also pretty high. About how much does a setup cost? I've heard it's around $75, but that seems a little steep if I only need some work on the nut.

-Ben
    Eastman Custom 515
    Washburn D20

If the $75 includes some new strings, and refitting the bridge feet to the top, lubing and adjusting the tuners, cleaning up the fret ends, as well as the nut and saddle, $75 seems reasonable to me.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

The shop will check everything, not just the nut. If nothing else needs service you paid to know that and have peace of mind. $$ well spent. Like a 10K mile checkup on your car, just because they found nothing wrong doesn't make it free.

Quote Originally Posted by BenJammin' View Post
    ...if I only need some work on the nut.
    Believe me, that's not all it needs... unless it's only been a couple of hours since it was expertly set up. (I mean that almost literally.)

I've fought long and hard with sticky nut slots. Pencil lead, sauce, you name it....I've tried it. Hamlett and sunburst don't give bad advice. A PROPERLY slotted nut is the ONLY solution that will last. Lubrication may work, but it is temporary. In the long run, it can be a bigger problem than the sticky slots were.
    Mike Snyder

It will be the most value you will get for 75.00 anywhere anytime. There are just so many little minute details that will be checked and or reset. All these small things will add up to be worth more that 75.00 in sound, tone, and playablity.

Unregistered User...?
    Blog Entries

hmm... I guess I probably should just get a full setup then. So, if lubrication doesn't work, it's the nut slots that need work?

Thanks!
    Eastman Custom 515
    Washburn D20

Eastman's have some of the better factory setups among the imports I deal with. That said, they still need some work. If it was never setup, the nut is ususally WAY too high (as a dealer I actually like this, so I have some room to bring it down myself). The bridge foot is once again better than most, but not perfect. Intonation is usually very good, but not after the has been changed. Frets are almost always seated well and level (looks like this is done just before they ship them out to dealers), but the ends are not filed well, and they are a bit rough and benifit from some light dressing.

If you can get all of this done well for $75, it will be more than worth it.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Unregistered User...?
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    ...A PROPERLY slotted nut is the ONLY solution that will last...
    Hmm... okay. I talked to my teacher today, and he thought it was a good nut, just a little high, so I'm not sure that it's the slots that need work. I'll probably go with the full setup though.

Thanks for the advice guys!

-Ben
    Eastman Custom 515
    Washburn D20