Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in the Loar Mandolins

Thumbs down Disappointed in the Loar Mandolins

I am very disappointed in the Loar Mandolins. I purchased a Loar LM-700-VS about 6 to 7 weeks ago. I went through the whole climate adjusting proccess like I have with my Martin guitars. In addition the instrument was never out of my home and what happens, a top crack running from the lower F-Hole developed about an inch long. I contacted my online dealer and explained the problem to him and I was told I was the second one with a 700 model this month that has developed a top crack in the SAME place. I was told this month alone, he has had 2 700s and 1 300 develop top cracks. My 700 was shipped back to him and at my dealers recommendation a Kentucky 1000 is now on it's way to me. Though the Loars look good, based on my experiece and what my dealer has seen, I would not recommend the Loar Mandolin.
    Dave

Default Re: Disappointed in the Loar Mandolins

Hi Dave,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with your 700 model and actually surprised to hear your dealer has been having issues with these. I just wanted to say that this has not been my experience. I have never had a problem or heard about this from any of my customers. I move quite a few of these (6 sold this week). I don't recall a single warranty claim for any of the models.

I do keep the mandolins humidified while they are here, though I doubt all of my our customers do.

I imagine that you will be very happy with the KM-1000. These are nice instruments.

That was all I had to say.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

You did say online dealer didn't you? I can't believe that anyone buys musical instruments without playing them first, without understanding the chance you take! Shame on you!

OK, sorry about that. At the store I work in, we sell a lot of the Musiclink products (distributor of the Loars). They stand behind their products better than ANY other company period. No other company big, small, huge, legendary, lifetime garantee or not, will send you another instrument, no questions asked, like the Musiclink will. I have sold a lot of kentucky mandos too. I love them, sometimes, but they are not as consistent to deal with as Musiclink. Saga (distributor of Kentucky) is a good company too, but warranty issues are a little more hassle, and Musiclink will always go out on a limb for the customer even at thier loss. They want you to be happy. If you bought a new first quality instrument, and your problem was not resolved, I'd say the problem was with your dealer (online or not).
    We are often offered seconds at a special rate by both of these distributors. It is unfortunately common for some unethical dealers to sell these seconds without being honest about them being seconds. If I had been your dealer, selling you a first quality instrument with a problem, I would want to make sure that the company made things right with you, and you went on to tell folks about your good experience with them. Maybe I could make you so happy that, with your endoesment, I would be selling more loars. The fact that they suggested another brand tells me something was up. Maybe he had a surplus of the Kentuckys, and just didn't want to deal with a warranty?
    As far as quality, We get offered a lot more seconds from Saga than Musiclink.
    I would also like to note that the number of issues to instruments sold we are talking about is a very very low ratio.
    bobby burns

Bobby, The person that should be ashamed isn't the OP.

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

If he had played the instrument prior to purchase and then had the crack develop, would he then be absolved of shame?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    If he had played the instrument prior to purchase and then had the crack develop, would he then be absolved of shame?
    Exactly. That and the fact that the vast majority of people buying mandolins don't have the luxury of living near a large mandolin retailer where they actually have the ability to play a multitude of different mandolins by the same maker of different makers.

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Ok guys, I apologized for that comment right up front, then I told of my experience with this company. I really have seen several instances where someone was selling the seconds off as first quality instruments.
    I still think the problem was unique, and the Musiclink guys would have bent over backwards to have taken care of him, given the chance. It's a shame for someone to run them down based on one instrument. They really are the best company to deal with in any customer service situation.

I know some folks don't live close to a store with mandolins, and a lot of stores that carry mandos, don't always have one of each to try out, but when possible every one of us should try an instrument out, before we buy it. Find the one you want, and buy THAT ONE, not the questionable one that is for sale at the reduced rate on the internet. Guess what? Maybe the OP now knows why the Loar he got was such a good deal?

I had a long rant about supporting your local stores, but decided to spare you guys and stick to the subject at hand.

I hope the OP is happy (which I'm sure he will be) with his Kentucky. I just don't think he is disappointed in Loar mandolins, as much as he was disappointed in That Loar mandolin!
    bobby burns

Blog Entries

I've yet to play an instrument prior to purchase except my Spira, which I picked up while in Australia on holiday played then payed. Everything else has been purchased online via our classifieds or from stores/e-bay. In Phillyburbia, I have a few options for mandolins to buy, Mid Mo/Big Muddys and vintage Gibson/Martins only. That's one out of 12 mandolins, and I had already made a deposit on the Spira. I've yet to go into a store play the wall and walk out with the "right one". Honestly, I believe, from reading here for years, that my experience mirrors the experience of the majority of mandolin purchases.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

11. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I really don't intend to slam the OP, or to sound like I'm in love with these mandolins. They are basically very good cheap imports. Part of being a cheap import is that sometimes you'll get an instrument with a problem. The way I judge a lot of importers, everything else being pretty much equal, is how good they stand behind the product after the sale. The musiclink guys have come through on instruments that were way past any reasonable warranty time before, and that means a lot to me. I just think it's a shame the internet dealer didn't give them a chance to do the right thing (assuming it wasn't a misrepresented second in the first place). If this dealer had got several that cracked, I'm sure musiclink would have liked to have known about it, and they would have made it right with the dealer, and the end user of the instruments I'm sure.
    That's all I was trying to say.
    bobby burns

Jamie, I'm not suggesting that anyone walk into one store and leave with the perfect mando. Be patient and look around and play several, where ever you find them, over whatever period of time, and how ever many trips to different stores it takes. Sure if you find a good deal on the net, go for it, but just do so with the understanding that you're taking a chance. If there is a store in your area with a guy who's into mandolins, take advantage of that and give him some business.

And...What exactly is this "climate adjusting process" the OP spoke of?
    bobby burns

Blog Entries

Not opening the package as soon as it arrives. Let the container come to room temp. Open the container, let the inside come to room temp, remove the case/mandolin, let that come to room temp, then open it up and play. This prevents the rapid changes in temperature that can yield finish crazing or worse. Online shops, like our sponsors and many others, have approval periods and stand behind their sales. That's why I never advise to buy from someone who doesn't. I haven't been burned yet.

I hope the OP and their store can get this fixed. Eastman had a problem similar a year or so ago and they worked with their customers through the original store they were purchased from, IIRC. I hope The Loar will too.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

back to the issue i noticed that the person experiencing cracks is in IN that would be indiana and the person not experiencing cracks is on the west coast, Cali. where do loars originate from and do the mando maybe need to "cure" longer for certain climates?

16. The following members say thank you to rico mando for this post:

Jamie, that "climate adjusting process" makes plenty of sense.
    I too hope it all works out. I think most of the distributors will take care of any odd problems that come up with their instruments, if given the chance. I also understand that the guy who is unfortunate enough to get the the bad one, is going to have a bad taste in his mouth, but he should give the dealer/maker a chance to make it right, and understand that this is still a relatively inexpensive instrument, as mandolins go. Overall in this price range these days you do get way more than you really pay for.
    bobby burns

Jamie, thank you for explaining to Bobby what I term, the "climate adjusting process". This process was not my idea but recommended by the instument manufactures and dealers. I will just say my dealer is not a "fly by night" dealer. He is one of the major dealers listed on this site and does have an actual store, like Elderly's and others. As far as being a helpful dealer he is the best. He has dealt with other issues with the Loar's and is concerned enough about what he sells that he cares about his reputation and customers. He did not have to talk me into the Kentucky 1000 because that is the Mandolin I have really wanted all along. My primary instrument is guitar and I have Martins. I have always purchased them online from another very respected dealer, and have done what Martin and he recommended as to the "climate adjusting proccess". I live in a small community that has only 1 small music dealer who deals in inexpensive electric guitars and drums, thus I look to the internet. Sure I would like to play them first, but there are really great dealers selling online who are honest and respectful. Why didn't I buy the 1000 in the first place? It comes down to funds and retirement and the mandolin was to be just a second instrument. The Loar was less expensive and looked great and there have been some positive posts about the sound. If funds where not the issue and this was to be a primary instrument, then I would have past over the Kentuckys and Loars and gone for the Gibsons, Webers and Collings. My dealer and I believe Loar has an issue with quality control yet on these models. Primarily in the area of the wood seasoning or curing. I will say one more thing about my dealer and that he has been in contact with his Loar representive concerning the cracking issues. And I have to agree with him about why continue to sell a product that he continues to have complaints about even though Loar may make it right. Make it right to begin with.
    Dave

If I could have only bought a mandolin that I could play in the store, it would be garbage Fender, Oscar Schmit, Johnson, or some other cheepy....In south Louisiana, Mandolins are hard to come by. I read the forum for two years (while borrowing cheapy no-name mandolins). I researched over and over and finally decided on Jeff Cowherd's JBOVIER! I spoke to him and wrote emails back and forth, and finally decided on the Tradition Antique satin finish. To say I'm not dissapointed is an understatement. I love this thing. Everywhere I've played people comment on the ease of play, loudness and tone. I played it next to a $3000 Breedlove and there was not much difference at all or if any between it and my JBOVIER. Lucky??? I guess, but research helped too. Would I buy another one online without playing? I have to, unless I buy a $6000+ mandolin, then I want to try different ones side by side. Gibson, Collins, well, I'll never be good or rich enough, so I'll stop dreaming now.....Would I suggest someone, who wanted to spend less than a grand, buy a JBOVIER without playing, YOU BET....Give Jeff a call.

I've sold and set up a very good number of the Loar mandolin and have yet to see a problem with wood selection or cracking in any way. The overall quality has been substantially higher than any of the other Chinese made mandolins I've seen. Whether the LM 700 is your favorite is up to you, but to date I have not seen any of them with issues other than setup that we always deal with in shop. They have been far more consistent than any of the other brands mentioned in this thread. That is not to say the others do not make good products, just not as consistent and quite a bit more expensive. That is the experience I've had and that is all I can report. I have not even heard of any such issues from other dealers or my contacts within Music Link.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

back to the issue i noticed that the person experiencing cracks is in IN that would be indiana and the person not experiencing cracks is on the west coast, Cali. where do loars originate from and do the mando maybe need to "cure" longer for certain climates?
    The Loar mandolins are made in China and warehoused in California (Bay Area) and Tennessee (Knoxville). Most of our The Loar's do come from the California warehouse. While I have them, they are kept humidified, so outdoor climate is not really a factor. I do preach "humidification" whenever I get the chance. The majority of our mandolins are shipped to Eastern states.

Now the Loar's have had trouble with finish checking. This seems to have just about been taken care of. It is getting less and less common. As for actual cracks in the wood, It hasn't come up, other than one mandolin that was damaged in shipping (incoming). This was obviously smashed in and not a defect.

I assumed the OP is talking about cracks in the wood and not just the finish. I doubt the dealer was selling seconds, especially since this crack developed after the mandolin had been delivered. One crack does not seem abnormal, but three in one month does. That is what struck me as strange. I haven't had any crack (I started selling these in 2008).
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

There's nothing wrong with buying stuff on the internet. Plenty of people meet and get married that way...

(I met my wife the old fashioned way. You know, in person.)

I stopped reading at: "very good cheap imports".

Robert, That is exactly what my dealer is concerned with, is the number of recent issues he has received in a short span with the mandolins being returned for a crack occurring in the same place on these mandolins. That has also got his attention! I had previously purchased a 600 from your store a couple years past but sold it within a couple months after receiving it, but not for any known defect at that time. Like I posted earlier, the mandolin is just my second instrument and something to mess around with. For those of us without access to a quality music store, we have to look for respected dealers online, such as yourself. Thank you for your understanding and I am glad that you and your customers have not had the problems my dealer and I have had. I wish I could afford a Gibson F5 to just mess around with!
    Dave

@Mandoist, Don't be like that And especially don't knock em' till you played em'.

I have had my LM400 from Folkmusician for a couple months now and so far, it's great. I play it onstage every day, and actually will be again in about 45 minutes lol. Chop is good and tone is balanced.

I hope the new LM300 doesn't start having problems.
    "Work is what you do for other people, Art is what you do for yourself." - Stephen Sondheim

Agree with you Timleo about the comment by Mandoist. Some of us can only afford the less expensive mandolins!

Dave

Dave,

Ahh, I just looked you up in our database. You bought the second LM-600 I had. These were among the very first batch that made it to the USA! Good to see you are back to mandolin.

Today I had a customer drive up 2.5 hours to try fiddles. We talked on the phone before hand and she had it narrowed down to a couple of models. She tried quite a few in a broad price range and ultimately did choose the one that she was leaning toward before coming. I felt it was a great match, she was happy, I was happy, she has her new fiddle that she was able to choose in person, and she is on her way home with said fiddle. Had I just shipped the fiddle we sort of narrowed it down to in the beginning, she would have received the same identical instrument, at the same price, with the same guarantee. By trying them in person she eliminated the doubt factor and left with the piece of mind knowing that she made the right choice, so there was a benefit. Had she not driven up, she would have received the identical fiddle. The point being, there would have been no harm done in ordering the fiddle online/by phone.

I have no idea how I turn a simple example into half a novel!
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

I see they are from china. i once took a brand new custom surfboard only days old out surfing and it became quite damaged and was only later that i found out you should wait 2 weeks before using it. my new board shaper holds them after they are done to insure they finish curing(i still break them but it takes longer and don't worry i am nicer to my mando's). i know the wood used for building needs to cure or be kiln dried and i was wondering if there was a certain amount of time they should sit after being built before they get shipped out.i was thinking that maybe to keep up with orders they were being sent prematurely. i do understand surfboards are different than mandolins(not including Peter Mix which have plenty in common but do not float as well)
    another thing is with surf boards due to environmental regulations the polystireen resins and foams are not as durable as a few years back. so is it possible that perhaps newer faster drying glues and finishes are part of the issue? that is if they do not use the old techniques for instrument building

Hi Tim,

Glad to hear your LM-400 is serving you well. Keep us posted on the mando and the gig.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger