Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firewood mandolin

Default Re: Firewood mandolin

Thanks, Mark. (I was camped right beside Flowerpot and his family and friends this year at Galax.)
    Mike, I was able to collect DNA samples on the graduated frets from quite a few mando pickers at Galax (that is, it was played in the humid weather by them) and only a few even noticed the frets, and those who did saw the difference in width rather than felt the difference. Apparently it feels very 'normal' to those who play it, so perhaps the biggest advantage, if any exist, is in the look rather than the feel and playability. No disadvantages or problems seemed to result, so if one wants to go to the extra effort of graduating fret size, expect no ill effects, but expect no major improvement either. This, BTW pretty much confirms what I expected from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    No disadvantages or problems seemed to result, so if one wants to go to the extra effort of graduating fret size, expect no ill effects, but expect no major improvement either. This, BTW pretty much confirms what I expected from the start.
    Thanks John,
    I'm not sure if I'll take the challenge yet, but I really do like the idea of it. As you said before, it seems to make sense.

John, thank you taking the time to document the entire process and share with us. This is incredible and very informative. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
    "Ancora lmparo", said Michelangelo when he was in his 80's (I am still learning)

I've got mp3 recordings of the first jam of the week with the Firewood Mando -- anybody know how to insert mp3 files here?

Click "go advanced", then click "manage attachments", next click "add files", then find the file on your computer and click it, then click on "upload files". The file should now appear under Attacments. Click "insert attachment". Preview post, then click submit. Would love to hear the file. John
    Last edited by John Gardinsky; Aug-18-2010 at 4:51pm. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    That quilt is gorgeous, John.
    Thanks!
    "Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you're finished."
    - Leslie Nielsen

Good tip, Im a woodturner.
    Last edited by Yak51fish; Sep-15-2020 at 8:40pm. Reason: I didn't reply with a quote. I didn't think it made since. I would have deleted, but found no option for that.

I sealed the ends with paraffin wax (red candles dissolved in paint thinner) for drying,…

Good tip, I'm a woodturner.

Here it is finally finished and strung up.
    Beautiful job!. A college shop teacher always used to say finish the finish. Your mandolin was built and finished well. Thanks for sharing.