Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The wait is over - replica tuners for your teens Gibson A.

Default The wait is over - replica tuners for your teens Gibson A.

Rob G.
    Vermont

Default Re: The wait is over - replica tuners for your teens Gibson A.

Cool, they look great.

Made me get the old paddlehead out and have a look.
    Bill

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm really excited!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

There is another thread stating that they aren't on the correct centers for older mandolins. Those aged tuners look freaking real. I don't know if I'd buy the bright ones.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Looking for confirmation for use on a '20 A3. Anybody?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Here's the thread I mentioned.

From the Stewmac site:

Steel baseplates feature the original early 1900s shape, incised "tread stripes," and vintage style square riveted worm posts.

15:1 gear ratio for improved tuning
    Vintage style riveted worm posts
    Early 1920s .931" (23.65mm) string post spacing
    .236" (6mm) string post diameter
    1920s-style press-fit peghead bushings, .283" (7.19mm) diameter
    Mounting screws included
    Relic nickel or bright nickel finish
    Choice of cream or grained ivoroid knobs
    Complete set of 3-left, 3-right

Important: Installing tuners with early 1920s string post spacing onto modern mandolins normally requires peghole redrilling. Plate-mounted tuners can't work efficiently if the pegholes are improperly aligned

Are there any features on these that will make it obvious that they are not original? I'd hate for anyone buying a vintage instrument thinking the tuners are original and having them actually be repros.

Phil

My guess is that the tuners are specd to fit perfectly in stock teens and 20s A style Gibsons. Can't imagine they would do it any other way. But, it would be wonderful if a luthier or other knowledgeable person could confirm the post spacing specs on the unmodified Gibson A models. I want a set of these bad. My old tuners are decent but not great despite a complete rehab recently. t I would love to put them in the case and get a set of these on there. It would really make my life a lot easier.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

From looking at the pictures on the Stewmac site they look pretty good. The only thing I see is that the gear cogs are different to allow for a higher gear ratio.
    I can't remember what the ratio was on the original ones but these seem to be higher. (tighter ratio).
    That is ok with me.
    I think I will go for the bright nickel shiny ones because I have seen lots of the original tuners that are still very bright once cleaned up.
    They don't have to look aged to look original.

I got a set of these tuners in the mail today. Unfortunately, there's not enough time before my gig tonight to put them on. The posts look like they line up perfectly with the originals, but I won't know for sure until I install them.
    I got the cream plastic buttons, and they look very much like the originals.
    I'll report back after I install them, probably Sunday.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I got mine today too. Relic with cream buttons. Unfortunately, I have to wait a month until my birthday! Ugh.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Its also almost a month until my birthday too! The bright ones are the closest match for the original ones on my '15 but the gear screws are wrong. The original screws (or what I assume are original) are flat headed and "blued" - not round and chromed. Looking at the previous thread, some people seem to be measuring between the posts which is bound to lead to errors. It makes more sense to measure between fixed points on the gears.

Last night, I put the new tuners on my '19 A. The bass side, which I put on first, slipped in fairly easily, and only one of the shafts seemed like it was binding slightly. The treble side was much more difficult. The new shafts wouldn't fit through the original eyelets, although they had on the bass side. I put the new eyelets in and still found that the new tuners didn't fit well. Two of them bind badly enough that I'm going to take it to my luthier and have them fitted.
    I think that the holes are slightly misaligned, rather than there being anything wrong with the tuners; the new tuners matched up perfectly with the old ones. I guess that my original tuners weren't as bad as I thought!
    I think that anyone installing these tuners on a vintage Gibson should count on a little bit of adjustment to the holes for a really good fit. Also, anyone having problems with their original tuners might want to check for proper alignment too.
    The tuners that do work smoothly feel much better than the originals, and the higher gear ratio really helps. I think that once everything's set up right, I'm really going to like them.
    I use this mandolin for gigs pretty much weekly, and I'm more concerned with the tuners working well than looking exactly like the originals. I got the basic nickel plated, cream plastic button ones, and you have to look closely to tell the difference from the front. From the back, they do look a little different, but not a big concern for me.

Here's a couple of pictures of the new tuners on the mandolin:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pics 048..jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	61564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pics 049..jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	61565  

Hey John, how do you like them? To you, are they worth the effort and $? I'd like to have a set of good tuners on my A2 (and Gil, F4, octave, mandola, cello, etc... :-)
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Hey Pete-
    I just put them on last night, but I think that they're going to be a big improvement over the originals. I got the basic model, and for $46 they're definately worth the money. They actually seem to be a little smoother than yesterday, so I'm going to wait a week before I take it in for professional help. I have a mando gig next Friday, so I'll see how it goes.

John, do your old tuners bind at all when they are off the instrument? When I rehabbed the Handel tuners on my A4 I discovered, much to my chagrin, that 90% of the stiffness and binding I was getting was present even with the tuners off the instrument with the cogs removed. The stiffness was coming from the area where the shaft turns in the brackets. I cleaned and lubed but it really did not solve the problem. I was tempted to put a slow drill on the stiff tuners and lap them in with a few thousand turns but I chickened out worried I might damage them and they do work "ok" now. Anyway, I am optimistic that these new tuners will slip right on without any modification or drilling of the peg head.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Rob-
    The old tuners are kind of stiff, even off of the mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    Rob-
    The old tuners are kind of stiff, even off of the mandolin.
    If you examine them closely doesn't the "hang up" always comes from one particular spot on the rotation? On several of these older tuners that I have do this -- in my cases the worm and the cog gears had eaten into each other and the missing metal is causing slop which in turn causes the failure in a smooth operation. Of course it becomes a major issue when you hit that bad spot under load of the string tension.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

The issue with my original tuners exists even when the cogs are completely removed from the tuners and the tuners are off the instrument. So it can be caused by different things. Actually only two are troublesome and they really are not that bad. The rest are good. Still, I'm going to remove the Handel tuners and leave them in the case for resale time.

Can anyone report on the function of these new replica tuners? I have a set - but I have to wait until the end of September when they are "officially" presented to me as a birthday gift. The wait is killing me.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I put a set on my 1917 A-2 last week..amazing!

Probably as expected, some people are likely to have a lot of interest in how well these new replicas match the vintage tuners in every respect, and some (more?) people who are hoping for improved function over the originals (that would include me).

If I bought these replicas, I would very likely install them in the "modern" orientation, shaft-over-cog, rather than the original way. Have any of you done that, or would you consider doing that? I suppose I should mention that my instruments (A and A1) are both non-descript and refinished, or have some other non-original features, so I have no problem modifying tuner orientation, especially if they worked better as a result.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

I just installed a set of the "relic" nickel tuners on my 1914 A. My tuners had been replaced by a previous owner. The base plates were shorter than the original base plates, so the impression of the original plates was visible in the wood and so were a couple of the original screw holes. The new bushings were a little tight on the bass side so I had to open up the holes in the headstock a tiny bit with a round file. The bushings fit fine on the treble side. The tuners fit perfectly and the mounting holes matched up well with the old existing holes. Even better, the base plates matched the impressions of the original plates perfectly. They work well and look great.

I made an attempt to install these tuners on my 1916 A4 this evening. They look great and fit perfectly in every respect but one. The new bushings have an ever so slightly larger diameter, inside and outside, compared to the originals - or so it seems. The new shafts will not fit in the old bushings - too tight, so it is not an option to use the old bushings. The new bushings will not pop in the original headstock holes - or certainly it would require the application of a lot more force than I am prepared to apply as an amateur. I think that with a tiny bit of sanding on the inside of the headstock holes these new bushings will fit perfectly. They might even press in with some padded channel lock pliers as is - but I think not, I think they are just a tad bit too tight.

So here is my dilemma - if I carefully open up the headstock holes, will the old bushings ever fit properly again? Would it hurt the value to do this? What would the technique be to tighten up the headstock holes again if I wanted to go back to the old tuners? Ugh. I was hoping they would be exact - they are close but not exact. Goodness it is hard to understand why they were not designed to be an exact drop in fit.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Rob - forcing the bushings in might crack the headstock. See my reply in the previous post. Just a tiny bit of filing was all it took. You might use a piece of rolled up sandpaper to slightly enlarge the holes. I think if you wanted to re-install the original tuners and bushings, you might put some slivers of hardwood in the holes to snug up the fit. In my case it wasn't an issue since the tuners on my mando were not original.

Bob