Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Is there one Beatle recording with mando?
    Just wondering; with the way these guys took to trying new sounds and instruments, why did our lil' 8 stringed friend get overlooked.

If you listen to #9 carefully, you can hear a mando about 3/4 thru it.

Tom; seriuosly? I never noticed it before!

It's well-known that Sir George Martin looked down on the mandolin sound. He produced Sea Train's first record and when Rowan went to use the mando, he said something like "Good God, I hear gondolas!"

You need to listen to #9 backwards to hear it..........

Rock and Roll uses Guitars not mandolins, to put it simply,granted the Beatles did use a lot on odd instruments later on Revolver, Srg. Peppers, Mystery Tour Ect. But pure rock has no room for mandolins in my opinion. Kind of like doing Bach on a Banjo, it just ain't cricket! I also feel Beatle Music should be played by the Beatles and knowone else, they did it right and no body else is going to make it sound better. Some things should be left alone. JD
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

I guess I think of the Beatles as more pop than rock & roll, and pop has certainly incorporated mandolin (e.g., Rod Stewart). Also, George Harrison was a huge ukulele fan, so mandolin doesn't seem like that big a stretch. The Rolling Stones used a dulcimer on Baby Jane (all right, it was an electrified dulcimer, but still a dulcimer).
    Bob DeVellis

Quote Originally Posted by
    Kind of like doing Bach on a Banjo, it just ain't cricket!
    I'll listen to Bela Fleck play Bach on a Banjo anyday. Probably wouldn't want to hear anybody else do it, though.

R

To play in the mandolin register, George Harrison used a Vox mando guitar, an octave electric twelve-string.
    Jerry Jones Guitars offers a similar approach.

No it's not really on #9. I just wanted to see how many would listen to it and for how many times.

AlanN; Aha, the 'other' Beatle George; that makes sense. Gondolas!
    Tom C. You sir, are a hooligan!
    Yonkle Yonkle;
    But pure rock has no room for mandolins?
    Pure rock? That's an intersting way to describe their music.
    I think of them as their own style, but that may be unreasonable.
    I also not sure that Rock and Roll is for guitars only.
    Acoustic pianos and basses can 'rock', listen to early Sun recordings. Accordions and fiddles can 'rock', listen to
    to Zydeco. Chuck Berry type of textbook rock, maybe, just maybe not (yet).

Yonkle -I must disagree. Mandolin not for Rock?
    If The Band and The Hooters aren't Rock and Roll than someone changed the definition. Ry Cooder put mando rhythm parts into lots of 60s Rock and popped a killer mandolin solo for The Rolling Stones.

As far as no one playing the Beatles music better than they did...probably true, but there's a lot of fun to be had by playing Beatles tunes to an appreciative bar crowd that sings along with every note. 'Better than' isn't my goal, 'part of' is enough for me.
    Respectfully- Mike
    Mike Plunkett

Led Zepplin!!! and REM found a way to get the mando in rock too.

I remember hearing either an interview with Emmy Lou Harris, or it was someone talking about Emmy Lou, describing her band the Nash Ramblers about 12-14 years ago. The comment was made that instead of having an electric guitar in the band they had the mandolin. Of course, Emmy Lou is not necessarily rock.

I see no problem with mandolin in rock music. Have you heard some of the wild electric stuff Sam Bush has done. Granted, his electric stuff may be more bluesy, but you get the idea. Electric mandolin has been used extensively in Western Swing. What exactly is "pure rock" anyway?

I knew I would get some flax from my remarks. Anyway the Beatles were the Beatles and they did'nt use Mandolins, so thats the way it is.
    As far as anybody else playing Beatle music, it's just my feeling that it just does'nt sound right if it's done by anyone else.
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

yonkle my friend- not a flame, just a polite disagreement.

i am ahuge beatles fan. i for one do cover the beatles with a mando, but regardless of whether or not played on traditional beatles/rock instruments or not, thank goodness folks are still playing their tunes. if music is just left to the originator it dies. even stuff as popular as the beatles. its kinda like folks complaining about the remaining members of the grateful dead playing garcia songs- hey, they are great tunes and the dead always covered other bands anyway, so why not carry on the tunes in a live format.
    just mho

Beatles should have included a banjo somewhere along the way....ha ha ha ha ha.....

Perhaps if history had been different, and all the Beatles were still alive today, they would have done an Unplugged special and used a mandolin. That would have been cool.

Or, another what if, the Beatles had stayed together, were all still alive, and probably would be playing Branson today....ha ha ha ha ha......then perhaps a mandolin would be involved.

OK, enough "what ifs"

"Something" can be corrupted beautifully into a mando polka. If you can't do a perfect cover-- mess with people's minds!

i'm not sure i'd call the hooters "rock & roll."

Hey Fangsdaddy- I meant Hooters the band from Philadelphia, not the more famous...let say, duo. - Mike
    Mike Plunkett

Sorry for opening a can of worms. When I wrote "pure rock" I was refering to rock and roll in general, not the BEATLES, sorry for the confusion. Yes the Beatles were not just rock, they were a bit of most everything. Now that I think of it "Within you and without you" may have sounded good with a little mando in it.
    I always wondered in The Stones "Lady Jane" what instrument that was, I thought it was a sitar, but I guess it was a dulcimer.
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

But pure rock has no room for mandolins in my opinion.
    It's not the instrument, ace, it's the way it is played. #But your statement seems to imply that mando is either BG or folk or Italian.

If you know rock and blues electric guitar vocabulary, which includes the various techniques involved, and/or you really understand how that music is put together, whether it is mando or an electric guitar becomes a non-issue.

But if you really meant "pure rock has no room for bluegrass mandolins." I would tend to agree with you in most cases.

Niles Hokkanen

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

I'd like to chime in with a strong vote of support for Niles' statement. Almost everything I've done since picking up the mandolin can be considered rock (or at least it's closest country equivalent). Not coming from a bluegrass background myself, I don't want to do bluegrass REM (actually the thought makes me more than a little queasy ). Not, of course, that I don't respect the skills of those who can pull it off.

Examples: Buddy Holly's music sounds really good on acoustic mandolin. I'm even working on an arrangement of Oasis' "Don't Look Back In Anger" that's shaping up nicely.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (mandocrucian @ Oct. 14 2004, 13:34)
    But if you really meant "pure rock has no room for bluegrass mandolins." I would tend to agree with you in most cases.
    Good said Niles - I'm curious though...can you think of any examples of bluegrass mandolin in Rock n' Roll?

I was just thinking about this a bit and all I come up with is the bluegrass banjo part in the Eagle's Take It Easy

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

THE HOOTERS!!!!!!! Good God! Îf ever there was a pansy/big haired/fake rock band, it would have to be them!
    "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down."