Thread: Best case for a high end mandolin?

Default Best case for a high end mandolin?

Well, I've read a lot of threads about various cases and I still can't make up my mind. I'm leaning toward a Carlton, but I'm thinking there has to be something else out there that offers similar or even better protection. I also remember reading on the Cafe the quality of Calton's has gone down hill since moving to Canada. Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
    Chris
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Default Re: Best case for a high end mandolin?

I'm happy with my Pegasus, it carries on my back or shoulder more comfortably
    than the Calton I got included with an instrument purchase.
    the edges are relatively sharp on the Cal. but they are a strong case..

The 'Peg's' interior glue ages and some times comes loose in spots .. then I stick it back down.

wooden Plywood arch top rectangular cases are quite protective too, but they don't tend to have D rings,
    to sling them on a strap over your shoulder while you carry other stuff in your hands.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've got them all from the Buck Ruff Rider to the old Mark Leafs. I find the Price shaped one and Peg shape cases are the best going today for the money.
    Both offer super dupper protection with not so much weight as the other bigger sized high ends.

Pegasus, a Calton broke the headstock on my Gilchrist.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I bought my Calton nearly 20 years ago I Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Several years ago operations were moved to the province of New Brunswick, which is also in Canada, so I don't think their problems have anything to do with being in Canada. Plus, from what I've read, the Calton issues are about service and not quality.
    That being said, my MF5 lives in its Calton and my Stanley lives in a Pegasus. I basically agree with mandroid regarding the way the Peg carries. I've had no glue issues yet. I find them both to be good protective cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    How on earth did that happen?
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Anybody know anything about the newer Saga fiberglass cases?

Based on the way my Mark Leaf (now sold) Banjo case was made,i'd go for one of those if you want the 'ultimate' protection - dependent upon how they're configured inside. I've never seen one,but i'd expect them to be as strong as you'll ever get.
    Mike Marshall (so i believe), carries his Loar in a Travelite. If i had a Loar or any 'top' maker's instrument,i'd probably do the same. Unless a case is going to be subject to a lot of hard knocks,which in itself could damage the Mandolin inside,regardless of how strong the case is,i personally don't see the reason for 'ultra strong' cases,but that's my choice. I uses a Travelite for one of my Instruments & were it not for having yet another 'spare' case on my hands,i'd get another. With careful use (as it should be), they're all that's necessary (IMHO),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Paranoia forces me to hide my mandolin high in a wardrobe when I'm out of the house. Last night it fell out and crashed to the ground. Fortunately it was in a Travelite and there is no damage. So two conclusions: 1 Travelite bags do the job and 2 I'm looking for anew place to store my mandolin.

Destroyer of Mandolins

For sheer protection at all costs, can anything really beat an old-fashioned road case? Sure they're bulky, clunky, and ugly as sin, but they've protected more gear than anything I know of for decades. If you wrap a mandolin all around in six inches of dense foam encased in steel and aluminum, not much is going to get to it.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

I was disappointed. I thought this was thread on philosophy where I could pick up some hints on how to get across the idea that a custom Ellis would be a good thing.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Blog Entries

My question is what is a "high end" mandolin ? Although my mandolin is just the lowley Gibson F-5 JamMaster, to me it is my "high end" mandolin. And the day I picked it out among every other model Gibson makes that was there at the store, it was the best sounding of the lot, not only to my ears but also my wife, and a guy who worked there who is a mighty fine guitar player. So my mandolin cost roughly $2600 and it sounded better than the $18,000 sitting there. Price does not determine what is a "high end" instrument, sound does. Yes I know a quite a few folks base thier ideas on what is better compared to the cost of the item, and relish the prestige associated with owning something that is expensive. If I had the money and was able to afford it, I would buy a Calton etc. to carry my JM in, but to many on here I realize that would be considered overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna View Post
    I bought one of these. It's just shy of being a nice case for day-to-day use, but it has a couple of major flaws.

On the plus side, it is affordable, nice looking, reasonably sturdy, well made, and much lighter than a Calton.

The most crippling defect is that it has no bumbers (little feet) on the hinged side of the case, so you can't set it down on its edge in the most natural way without it teetering or falling over. I've been researching luggage supply outlets for the right combination of matching bumbers and attachment hardware to modify it myself, but this is a problem the keeps me from using the case for now. Saga knows about this issue and is apparently not interested in correcting it at the manufacturing level.

It is also a bit meager on storage space, so other than a few picks, a set of strings, and maybe a tuner, you'd be hard pressed to keep many accessories in the case itself.

All that said, I'm hoping to fix the foot-bumper issue and will use this as my around-town case.

I also have both Calton and Pegasus cases, and they offer fantastic protection and high quality, but at a premium for cost and weight.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

F5Loar didn't mention his big fiberglass Price-Nelson rectangular case. I'd vote for that one any old day for top-notch protection. He also has a Presto; rectangular, but not as 'stout' as the Price.
    I've had an Anvil type flight case; monstrously big and heavy. But probably the most indestructible case ever, short of being run over by a tank.
    I have a Price-Nelson rectangular; big & heavy, but manageable.
    My current fave case is a Carbon Fiber Eastman, with a Colorado Case Cover. Lightweight and protective.
    My ideal case would be a rectangular Carbon Fiber case.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna View Post

They are pretty good from a protection standpoint. They have almost no storage. I replaced mine with the Bobelock fiberglass arrow shaped case and prefer it due to the thermal lined case cover included that also featues a full length zippier pocket...lots of storage for your stuff. These may not be a tough as a Calton, but I think I could run over this one with my Land Cruiser without damage. It seems pretty substantial.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Quote Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
    I was disappointed. I thought this was thread on philosophy where I could pick up some hints on how to get across the idea that a custom Ellis would be a good thing.
    I thought the same thing. First I'll make the case to my wife, and then I'll buy a case for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    I thought the same thing. First I'll make the case to my wife, and then I'll buy a case for it!
    Worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Haven't they bought you off yet??

I prefer the Calton for 3 reasons...It provides the best protection, its hdwe is more rugged, and I like the balance of it whether it is being carried over my shoulder or being transported. And I have had several with no broken headstocks JK
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    I prefer the Calton for 3 reasons...It provides the best protection, its hdwe is more rugged, and I like the balance of it whether it is being carried over my shoulder or being transported. And I have had several with no broken headstocks JK
    I have both, and I'd say that the Peg is better when carried over the shoulder due to the unique placement of the strap attachments.