Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibson 1936 Centruy model -- pretty!

Blog Entries

Default Gibson 1936 Centruy model -- pretty!

Pretty looking vintage Gibson -- someone should buy this!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Default Re: Gibson 1936 Centruy model -- pretty!

Not for that price.

I played one years ago and they are 1930s Gibsons and not much to my taste. I will admit that I have not played one recently and might feel different about it now.

I do own the '37 guitar version which is a nice one and as a collector it would be nice to have a set, along with the Hawaiian guitar version as well, however, that will not happen any time soon. The other thing to bear in mind is that that pearloid fretboard is a real pain to do a full refretting on, or so says my luthier.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goodin View Post
    Not for that price.
    Not sure how the price affects the appearance ... but I suppose it is as with all things the value is what someone will pay for it.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Aug-18-2010 at 9:22am.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

That IS different. Very deco, especially the headstock. Does seem overpriced, but I suppose rarity should be taken into account.

I have played two of these-- I believe they had flat backs. They are very cool looking but I didn't think they sounded very good. They also produced a guitar with the same features--they don't sound too good either.

I recognized the seller and in fact I believe I played this very one.These are definately a fergazy mandolin and not common and might impress your friends, but to play, almost any other mandolin by Gibson would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    They also produced a guitar with the same features--they don't sound too good either.
    Of course, that is your opinion... I do agree with you on the mandolin but I haven't played one in years. and was never really fond of most 1930s and later Gibson mandolins. The L-Century guitars are quite nice sounding, lightly built like similar L- series small flattops of the period and highly collectable as well. Thye go for considerably more than the mandolin in the vintage market. Why, even Frank Ford likes these.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

That is one beautiful mandolin! I love diamond inlay!

I can't say that I have had the opportunity to play many vintage Century of Progress guitars, maybe two, and never have I played or seen in person the reissue but the ones I did play in my opinion weren't as good as the "L" series guitars from that vintage that didn't have the pearloid. I do however think they are really great looking. I went way out of my way to track a couple down when I became aware of them because they looked so cool. AS a collectible instrument I would love to have either one --mandolin or guitar.

To say that they didn't sound good was maybe out of line but "not as good as" was what I meant to say and of course that is just a subjective opinion and doesn't really mean anything. By the way to anyone who may have an interest in the mandolin the seller is, I believe, on the up and up. Calls his business something like BearPaw music and he's out of Alameda Ca. Seemed like a nice guy and sometimes has some pretty nice stuff. I've run into him at shows.

i

Hey guys- how often does one of these Gibson Century Mandolins appear on Ebay or elsewhere?

Norman Blake plays a 1933 Century Guitar on the album "Be Ready, Boys," a record of duets with Rich O'Brien.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    Hey guys- how often does one of these Gibson Century Mandolins appear on Ebay or elsewhere?
    Not often--probably not one than one or two per year on ebay,if that. These are rare and I think highly collectible. This price is pretty high but maybe not out of line.You'll pay close to $2500 for a good A4 and they are pretty common compared to these. If
    I was in the market for this---set backs have pretty much put me out of the market ,period, I would be getting in touch with this guy, he seems like someone that you can negotiate with.

Maybe not more than one or two per year on ebay,if that. These are rare and highly collectible. The price he's asking is high but maybe not out of line. A good A4 will likely cost you $2500 and they are quite common compared to these. If I was in the market -set backs have put me out of the market, period---I'd be getting in touch with this guy ,he seems like someone that might negotiate.

I have contacted him and am awaiting a reply ...

Well ... it's mine!

You lucky dog --it's a purdy one for sure!

Blog Entries

Well ... it's mine!
    Cool! I was wondering if some Cafe member might not jump on it!!
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kessler View Post
    Norman Blake plays a 1933 Century Guitar on the album "Be Ready, Boys," a record of duets with Rich O'Brien.
    Blake actually owns both a "Century of Progress" mandolin and guitar in a matched set.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Well ... it's mine!
    Congratulations, Mick!! let us know your impressions when you have it in hand.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Bernie Daniel-

Thanx for this thread or I might've missed this one! I love the diamond inlay, and that mother-of-pearl fretboard is so unique I just had to go for it! As you can see, I've changed my Avatar.

Also, thanx for your reply to my Bill Monroe & Carl Story thread!
    Last edited by Mandolin Mick; Aug-22-2010 at 5:23am.

Blog Entries

Glad you snagged it Mick! I was pretty taken with that spiffy look as well but I have run my mandolin account seriously into the red these last few weeks!!

Didn't you think the story by the eBay seller was nicely done? I can certainly imagine how impressed folks were with both celluloid and pearloid back in their day. In my opinion if a person likes vintage they should certainly appreciate vintage plastics!!!

And yeah I did notice your new Avatar and thought it was really cool!
    Bernie
    ____

Bernie-

I usually buy from the Cafe Classifieds and I'm leary of Ebay instruments. But, the seller has a 100% rating and has sold a list of vintage instruments from Milwaukee to Cincinnati.

I did a lot of investigating on the history and availability of these mandolins and came to the conclusion that I'd be kicking myself around the block if somebody else bought it.

Here's a picture of an unplayed one that sold recently .. no idea how much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-century..jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	61936  

Congrats! You probably already have this bit of history on them. Enjoy..

In 1933 Chicago hosted the Century of Progress International Exhibition. This commemorated the 100 years that had elapsed since its incorporation in 1833. In the middle of the Great Depression, the 1933 to 1934 Century of Progress exhibition attracted 48 million visitors.

Gibson sought to capitalize on this event, focusing on the exhibition's emphasis on scientific progress. Gibson unveiled two instruments in 1933 that were decorated with "pearloid", a celluloid plastic which had the look of pearl. The L-Century guitar and A-Century mandolin featured pegheads and fingerboards covered with this material often called "mother-of-toilet-seat" (since it was not "mother-of-pearl", and this celluloid was often used for toilet seat covers during the 1950s). Gibson produced these Century instruments from 1933 to 1941.

I discovered all this in my investigation, but thanx for informing all the other readers for me!

1933 is when my Dad was born, so this Gibson is definitely a vintage mandolin (although mine was built in 1936)!