Thread: Pick ID - Wegen?

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Default Pick ID - Wegen?

This past week I was playing with a friend, and we traded a few picks. I got rid of my Blue Chip TAD60, which I found to be much to bright for mandolin, and I got a number of picks that I quite like. One pick in particular is my new favorite, but I can't figure out what it is. It is nearly the same size and shape as a Wegen M150, but it is thicker and has more pronounced bevels (and in this case it is black). I have been using the M150 99% of the time in recent years, but I think I like this similar pick even more. It sure looks like a Wegen pick, but I can't find anything that is a match.

Any thoughts? That attached picture isn't great, but it is shown here between a TF140 and M150.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picks..jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	61920  

Default Re: Pick ID - Wegen?

Michael has also added M200, M250 and m300 to his range somewhat recently. I don't see them advertised at the usual dealers but they're out there. Yours looks like maybe an M200 that someone has added a wider bevel to. Maybe Michael makes some of them with an alternate bevel or maybe he puts a wider bevel on the new thicker models (which would make sense to me). But it looks like yours started out the same size as the M150 and just lost a bit of corner in the beveling process.

Sweet pick, I'd love to try that one.

Thanks. I just searched for M200 and found a few examples that look like a match. From the pictures, the bevel looks like it is the same on both. I will have to order some and find out for sure.

My father used to always say his shoe size was 9-1/2 but he tried a 10 and it was so comfortable he buys 12's.

Maybe you ought to order up a M250!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
    Maybe you ought to order up a M250!
    I was thinking the same thing. I will probably get some of both.

I really like the Wegen "Big City" Pick 1.4mm that Dennis at The Mandolin Store put me onto.