Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Questions for Jody Stecher

Default Re: 10 Questions for Jody Stecher

Quote Originally Posted by coletrickle View Post

.. I'd like to ask you about finding a vocal niche in so many styles. From backing Peter Rowan on his latest album, to blending perfectly with Kate, to your amazing work on "Oh the Wind and Rain." I'm curious how you approach songs vocally. If you're singing an old ballad, do you approach it differently than you would on a more bluegrass oriented tune? Do you shape the music around your voice or do you shape your voice around the spirit and "historical nature" of the song?
    Well I think I could demonstrate the answer better than I could write about it. I'll give it a go though. I guess the answer is "all of the above" or "it depends". If I'm singing a ballad there are no other singers or instrumentalist to contend with so the song comes first. So I don't the shape the music around my voice. Ballad singing is solo music. But I have selected the song. I've picked one that I know I can sing. So in that sense I've "edited". In a bluegrass context if I'm singing harmony I have to do it in a way that goes with the other singer(s). If I sing lead I do phrase according to my sensibilities. I guess the best answer is "it's all a matter of balance". Well this all sounds pretty vapid but it's the best I can do this evening! Thanks for asking.

To the best of my recollection I never played twin fiddles with Kenny in any context and I only played fiddle with Dave Bromberg as a fiddler sitting in. maybe there were a few times when Jay Unger was fiddling in David's band and maybe once with Brantley Kearns as the official band member. Anyway I was never a member of Dave's band so I have no experiences to recount. We played a lot of music together in the 1960s both on stage and off. Mostly two guitars. We were learning from each other. There was a lot of humor in the music we played and a lot of mutual respect. We were in our late teens you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoNicity View Post
    Jody thank you for the wonderful stories and taking the time to tell us. I must confess that I'm not well up on your mandolin work, but rather your fiddle work. You first came to my attention in the early 70's when you were playing with Bromberg, if memory serves me well, it was you and Kenny Kosek doing twin fiddle work with Andy Statman on mandolin. Fantastic band!!! Can you tell us a little bit about your experience with this band? Many thanks for all your musical efforts.

JR

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm sure my addled brain has jumbled things up. It was after all more then a few years ago.

JR

Blog Entries

Observing the anniversary of the publication of this interview on this date 2010!

Blog Entries

Noting today's anniversary of this interview with Jody Stecher published this date 2010.

Blog Entries

A feature we published 10 years ago, still a good read!

Fwiw, Jody is still quite active over on Mike's oud forum, since 2011.

Blog Entries

Noting the anniversary of this feature interview.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post: