Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternative Designs

Default Re: Alternative Designs

into the mix comes also the Mix.!

just wanted to reinforce what billhay4 said earlier in the thread, that "alternative" can be a technical solution, and not just a different visual aesthetic. Ideally, this would be a technical solution to a problem that an actual paying customer already has, and that you as a builder can satisfy.
    The most radical mandolin I've played lately is this one, the Godin A8. No sound holes, but it's hollow. The bridge is full of wires, but it is also adjustable. Some parts of the instrument are hardly perfect direct from the factory (the fret edges need dressing, the neck angle needs adjusting, and and EQ pots are noisy), but if you are willing to take it, new, to skillful electric luthier, you'll end up with one of the most original designs in modern mandolin construction. I just had the built in electronics worked on by a guy who really knows his stuff, and transformed what had been a blunt and crackly object into a very refined onboard EQ system. It cost $75 to do. Attach it to an acoustic amp with a built in mute, an effects loop, and a PA output, and you have something with great acoustic potential. Route the effects loop through a macbook loaded with software effects, and you have something no one could have dreamed of 20 years ago.

Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I am particularly interested in the false back ideas, so that the sound doesn't get dampened when the back is pressed against me. Incorporating the tone guard concept in the permenant design of the instrument.

Another idea I have seen that could be expanded upon: side ports. A small sound hole on the side of the instrument, on the bass side. Let the sound out towards the player as well as towars the audience.
    Pähkinä has both a false back and side ports. And now that I've played her for a while, I'll never buy another mandolin that doesn't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09-09-18 finished.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	62403

I love the Beardsell Mandolin,it's a stunner !. I've always liked the Breedlove range of acoustics as well,different but 'the same',at least they look like Mandolins. I've never been able to get my head around Guitar shaped 'octaves',they look just like a Guitar & i think i'm being cheated somehow,that just me though,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Jim, I think you have what it takes to come up with good designs but whether they will sell well is yet to be known, so do it as an inspired project and see where it goes. James Condino put it so well, to get out of the way of the design and let it happen. That has worked for me several times. Let us see where your imagination takes this.

I have a very short experience in mando-building , I'm hobbyist ans speak like an hobbyist .
    The work of conception for your own design is great to do , however it's a sum of ideas already visited .
    the last I made was lot of fun for me , I think people who tried the mando say virtually the same things .
    Good sound , good projection , big sustain , good balance , nice design , easy to play ...........;
    but unsaleable because too far from the standard design .

However acoustic mandolin world is more open than acoustic guitar world IMHO,
    difficult to find a guitar player, playing bluegrass on a funny guitar .
    You are a serious guitar player only if you play on a dreadnough model , right ?
    imagine a dreadnough with a big sound on virtuoso hands , but the guitar is stained in .... blue , inconceivable .

Here is what gave me great satisfaction during the building process
    and give me great pleasure to play on , now .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huppe18..jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	62450  

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Many (most?) builders say that there is NO sound difference between there A and F models.
    You are right Bill, what i should have said is it is between an oval and an f model.

JP I believe there are only two that i know of in the world.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Love my Godin too Jim. Did reset the neck. Think I will need a refret soon so won't bother with the fret ends now. Thanks for the info on the electronics. Maybe have that looked into in the future. Even though it has a solid top it can be heard unplugged.

By taking a solid piece of wood, cut out in the design that's in your head. Route the inside and put a flat or a carved top on it. Oval, round, f slots or any design sound ports could be added. Maybe a little easier than bending sides if the outline in you head is really radical. Oh the possibilties.

I have always thought that the F style mandolin is one of the most physically beautiful instruments of any type--just something about it. Right up there with the French horn.

Not much discussion here about few professionals using alternative designs. Is this due to audience expectations, corporate sponsors or their own conservatism?
    Last edited by JonZ; Sep-09-2010 at 4:30pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joebrent View Post
    Pähkinä has both a false back and side ports. And now that I've played her for a while, I'll never buy another mandolin that doesn't.
    I was thinking of yours Joe. I remember the descriptions of the sound. WOo hoo. These idea are really worth exploring.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Though subtle by many standards, I love the innovative look of Webers Aspen and Bridger mandolins. An increment of evolution by comparison to some of the flights of fancy being contemplated, but evolution nonetheless, and they sell.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Jim I've had some ideas for the last year or so and, when time arrives, will be pursuing the first prototype or two. I'd be interested to see what you've got in mind, and the thinking behind it!