Thread: Ronaldo do Bandolim

Default Ronaldo do Bandolim

Check out this hour long choro video from last night at the Kennedy Center.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/explorer/videos/?id=M4389

David

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ronaldo do Bandolim

Nice, thanks.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by DSDarr View Post
    Check out this hour long choro video from last night at the Kennedy Center.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/explorer/videos/?id=M4389

David
    Thanks, David. This is fantastic! Ronaldo's a real favorite of mine, and stuff like this is one of the reasons.

Also, how about the Kennedy Center for putting on free concerts like this every night of the year, and the Brasilian Embassy for providing some of the cultural funding!
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Wow, nice! Thanks for the link!

JR

Choro Famoso's Andy Connell sits in on clarinet, starting around 32:50.
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

Superb! Hi def so you can clearly watch his stylist stuff. A textbook on how to play some common choroes.

I think I'll donate something to the Kennedy center to thank them for doing this, and yeah to Target for supporting this! We couldn't afford multiple cameras when we shot Choro Famoso last April. Maybe this will begin to get more longer concerts out there.

Blog Entries

Can someone suggest a source for sheet music of those common choros?
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

You can get almost all of them from Mike Marshall's book (these are 'standards' in the genre), and Eu Quero e sossego was handed out at the Centrum Port Townsend choro workshop last spring. I have a PDF of it, contact me off the thread. Also the "white book' really named Songbook Choro by Almir Chediak has many of them, in better notation than Mike's book, receita de samba is one that comes to mind that is much better in the white book. Has all the 7 string bass runs on it. Also, you can get a variety of more expensive collections, from O Melhor Do Choro Brasileiro Volumes 1, II and III. Ron Galen has like a few of his very good transcriptions, but when they are gone they apparently are gone. Some overlap, some not. Lastly, there is a playalong CD of some of Jacob's work, as he did multi-tracking in the last years of his life. So you can rip it, put it on Amazing Slowdowner, and figure them out...still you need to study with someone from Brazil who has learned how to get these stylistic things down right. Ted Falcon and Jesse Appleman just taught at the Brazil Camp in CA, (and now Ted is in Brazil) and are good teachers of the style, as is Mike M.who will be teaching at Centrum again next April 14th. You can go to Port Townsend or Santa Cruz at the Mandolin Symposium and spend time with Dudu Maia and Danilo Brito as well. All good ways to learn real time, which is critical to this music. On the east coast check out Marilyn Mair out of the Boston area (I believe). I know I missed some... but have fun!

At the Kennedy Center in this same series tomorrow (Thursday 9-9) night, same time (6-8pm EDT) - Luis Barcelos on bandolim, Ze Paulo Becker and Caio Marcio on guitar
    And Friday night, Reco do Bandolim and Choro Livre.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/progra.../schedule.html

Look on the right for the Archives link - they put these up about an hour after the shows.

Great series and wonderful that KC has done this for us all!
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

Pig out on choro! What a feast! I just came back from Brazil Camp and a NY City guitar player was lamenting that no choro was being played in NYC. Wonder if this series will lead to a larger following....

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    Pig out on choro! What a feast! I just came back from Brazil Camp and a NY City guitar player was lamenting that no choro was being played in NYC. Wonder if this series will lead to a larger following....
    NYC had The Choro Ensemble, possibly the best fulltime choro band in the US, as a fixture for years. While they were relatively unknown, they played Sundays at a below-ground bistro named Jules in Greenwich Village, and most savvy Manhattan music lovers knew of the scene there. My wife and I were lucky to catch them toward the last of their weekly rodas, and we couldn't help but think that the scene there had to be reminiscent of the Left Bank cafe scene in Paris at its height. Great music in an intimate setting, lots of regulars, hard to tell the staff from the customers.

When we saw them, it was Pedro Ramos on cavaquinho and Carlos Almeida on exceptional 7-string guitar, the Israeli Anat Cohen on clarinet (she's part of the big concert in the DVD Brasileirinho, btw), along with a 6-string guitarist and a pandeiro player whose names escape me.

Shortly after we saw them (in 2006?), they leveraged their growing audience and moved on to bigger venues. They also started forming spinoff groups (forro, pagode, etc). It's been a while since I've tracked their progress, but it's hard to believe they've disappeared from the scene, and even harder to believe that choro has dropped off the radar after the following they built.

The one thing they were missing was a bandolimista, which is probably why they haven't gotten much attention here at the Cafe.
    Doug Hoople

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Burcham View Post
    At the Kennedy Center in this same series tomorrow (Thursday 9-9) night, same time (6-8pm EDT) - Luis Barcelos on bandolim, Ze Paulo Becker and Caio Marcio on guitar
    And Friday night, Reco do Bandolim and Choro Livre.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/progra.../schedule.html

Look on the right for the Archives link - they put these up about an hour after the shows.

Great series and wonderful that KC has done this for us all!
    Thanks for the tip, Amy!

You'll remember from that evening at Semente how good this has the potential to be, and adding Luis to the lineup makes this worth bookmarking for the link! Can't wait to hear. I'm still remembering what a revelation Caio Marcio was that night!
    Doug Hoople

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoople View Post
    When we saw them, it was Pedro Ramos on cavaquinho and Carlos Almeida on exceptional 7-string guitar, the Israeli Anat Cohen on clarinet (she's part of the big concert in the DVD Brasileirinho, btw), along with a 6-string guitarist and a pandeiro player whose names escape me.
    I thought it was Daniela Spielmann in 'Brasileirinho'?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Pinit View Post
    I thought it was Daniela Spielmann in 'Brasileirinho'?
    Hey Tom,

You're absolutely right. Someone told me a while ago that it was Anat Cohen, and I guess I didn't look closely enough at the credits to correct the misimpression.

It's an easy mistake to make, though. They're both great wind players and, from a distance, they don't look dissimilar.

Anat is certainly good enough to hold a stage with players of that caliber.
    Doug Hoople

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoople View Post
    NYC had The Choro Ensemble, possibly the best fulltime choro band in the US, as a fixture for years.
    The Choro Ensemble appearing on WNYC Soundcheck in 2008
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1