Thread: KM1000 vs Loar 700

Default KM1000 vs Loar 700

I'm wanting to upgrade from my Kentucky KM 630. Any suggestions on a mando in the $1500 range? KM1000, Loar 700, Eastman 815? Open for other suggestions.

Default Re: KM1000 vs Loar 700

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Boy View Post
    I'm wanting to upgrade from my Kentucky KM 630. Any suggestions on a mando in the $1500 range? KM1000, Loar 700, Eastman 815? Open for other suggestions.
    My fongers are getting too old to play my Weber F style. It is in your price range. email me for details, if you are interested. brianf@vermontel.net
    3 finger chop

I'm in similar place as you, and while I don't have the resources to upgrade right, I've been thinking about the question quite a bit.

The KM-1000 would be my choice given the list you provided. The one or two I played was very very nice. I haven't played a Eastman F that truly impresses me, and I haven't had a chance to play the Loar 700 yet. In your price range I would also take a look at the Breedlove American series, as well a new Howard Morris F5, and a used Weber Gallatin F.

For some reason, I cannot replay to your email address. I'm getting some message about the default mail client not being properly installed. Can you tell what model Weber you have? The age, condition? Thanks.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having owned both of the models you reference, I can tell you that both can be great mandolins. I personally liked the KM-1000 best, but that would be completely a preference decision, as both gave good volume, tone and playability. The LM-700 have been going used for less than the KM-1000 lately, so if $ a important, the LM-700 might be the best choice. I also agree with a previous post on this thread regarding Breedlove FF...there're very good...I miss the one I had.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

You can also get a used Gibson A9 or Jam Master in that price range. Made in Nashville with Loar graduations.(If scroll is a matter, just forget this post..)

I was in your very same position 8 months ago. I wanted to take the next step. I played mandolins and read about mandolins on the cafe. I was sure that these two models were at the top end of my price range.

Then I played the first Weber and it sent me reeling. So clear - like a bell. The others sounded much worse after I went back to them. I had to find a way to make that step. After I read more about the good folks at Weber compared to a Chinese mandolin that did it for me.

But how to make the leap $$s? I found that from time to time the classifieds had a Weber in my price range. But I eventually found a great deal on a new Weber from the Mandolin Store (a Cafe sponsor) There are manny threads here recommending them.

I ended up spending a little more than my KM-1000 budget but not that much more. I am so glad I did.

Thanks for your feedback. I've heard many good things about the Weber. My current teacher plays a Weber and it sounds great. My problem is there aren't any stores in my area that have a good selection of mandolins to play. I will try the guys at the Mandolin Store. If anyone reading this has a lead on Webers, please let me know. Thanks. Keep on pickin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Boy View Post
    For some reason, I cannot replay to your email address. I'm getting some message about the default mail client not being properly installed. Can you tell what model Weber you have? The age, condition? Thanks.
    It is a Weber prototype F model, purchased new. Solid carved spruce top, and carved flame mapel back and sides. Ebony fingerbard with wide frets. Just returned from the Boznan shop after installing new Brekke traditional bridge, with adjusting wrench. This allows for saddle adjustments while under full string tension. signed by Bruce Weber. Original papers with it, along with its original case. It is about four years old. The top is carved up to meet the fingerboard extension, like the first Flatiron Performers, and it has the same kind of pop and sustain.

I just sent myself a message, using the email address, and it came through OK. Brian
    3 finger chop

I was the same way also. No Weber dealers near me. Only Kentuckys. I was on a family vacation and stopped in at Janet Davis where I picked up the first Weber. Then it became a search. Everytime I was in a town I suspected of having a decent music store, I went in looking. Many dry calls. You know lots of cheap electric and acoustic guitars with a token $125 mandolin hanging in the corner.

But through that search I was able to play about 10 different Webers at different shops. Each time it made me more confident this is what I should do.

But I could not find any that I liked aesthetically that were in my price range. I also formed opinions about the finish I wanted through my searches. That's when I came upon the mandolin store.

If you have to take a drive it could be well worth the investment. Besides a day in a great shop is better than mowing the yard any day.

I now got a Eastman 815V. I wish I can go back in time and get a Kentucky KM 1000. Forget the Loar!

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Smash View Post
    I now got a Eastman 815V. I wish I can go back in time and get a Kentucky KM 1000. Forget the Loar!
    Huh?

Do you mean that you are unhappy with the Eastman? Why?

Why do you wish to get a KM-1000? Have you experience of that model?

Ditto The Loar: why "forget" it? Do you have experience of that instrument?

Give us something useful here...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cadger View Post
    Huh?

Do you mean that you are unhappy with the Eastman? Why?

Why do you wish to get a KM-1000? Have you experience of that model?

Ditto The Loar: why "forget" it? Do you have experience of that instrument?

Give us something useful here...
    I Love my Eastman still. But everywhere I look I come across all this talk about how great the KM 1000 is and every km 1000 I heard sounds great. I rarely hear anything about the 815V. I hate the ultra sensitive finish on the 815V If you even run your finger nail across the finish it leaves a permanent mark. Also at times I pick up my KM 160 and It almost sounds better then my 815, I start thinking of how great a km 1000 would be. Plus I love the finish on the KM 160. Before I got my 815 I ordered a Loar 700 As soon as I got it out the box I knew It wasn't for me. The neck was too thick and afer I tuned it I played one short tune and you can tell the tuners were not keeping in tune they seemed loose. The tone was not there. I also happened to get one that had an ugly peeling stripe on the front. I sent it back A.S.A.P. Thats when I went with the 815. I know my next Mandolin will be a KM 1000.
    I also seen a few videos like this one.

Being new to the Mandolin Cafe, I can tell that this audience is passionate about their mandolins. That is a good thing. Thanks for the input and videos. Since I'm already familiar with the Kentucky line and was able to play a KM1000 recently, I'm leaning in that direction. The main issue is $$ right now. I'd love to go higher but, given my experience and cash situation, may stick in the KM1000 range. Thanks again and keep on picken.

Given the clips shown, I would go for the Webers. But that's my ears.

Having had both The Loar 700 and the Kentucky 1000, my choice would be the Kentucky 1000. I had to return the Loar 700 due to the top cracking only a few weeks after it arrived.
    Dave

I've owned and played a KM1000 for a couple years now and think it is a great sounding mandolin.
    I also have a Loar LM-400 that I equipped with a CA bridge and a cast tailpiece. Great little mandolin.
    Terry
    Arkansas Picker
    "Enjoying the Challenge"
    Crystal Forest Mandolins web site
    Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by John Kinn View Post
    Yes, the Weber is definately better.....unfortunately the Weber also costs $3,000 more than the Kentucky. My suggestion (for whatever it's worth......and a couple of these are A models but....)

Ratliff F5

Flatiron A5 Artist

another Flatiron A5
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Quote Originally Posted by John Kinn View Post
    Yes, the Weber is definately better.....unfortunately the Weber also costs $3,000 more than the Kentucky. My suggestion (for whatever it's worth......and a couple of these are A models but....)

Ratliff F5

Flatiron A5 Artist

another Flatiron A5

Uh.....I ended up with duplicates rather than just editing the first one...so should a moderator come by please delete one of the two.....Thanks.
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Seriously the webers are not that far away from the the km1000. You can definitely get a weber f style much less than you would expect. Call a few places and talk to them. Shop the classifieds. A little research will put you closer than you think.

And the Weber quality is a much greater jump than the few dollars difference.

I wouldn't say that the LM-700 is "better" than the others. I do believe that - in this price range - there are good ones, and there are bad ones from all of the makers. Think about it, these are all production models at this price. Having said that - I've had both the KM-1000 and the LM-700.

I sent the KM-1000 back - unimpressed with tone (my ear) and had bad finish flaws. Finish was not that important, but it was a legit excuse for the return.

I was able to keep 2 of the LM-700's for a few weeks - so I could choose the best of the 2. They were both very, very comparible. I made a choice and I am not disappointed at all. It also has a few finish flaws, but I'm satisfied with the tone - makes it a keeper for me. I replaced the tailpiece and bridge - made an improvement but not dramatic.

So, the fact that I would not (objectively) judge the LM-700 to be better than the others - I am very comfortable saying that the others (in this price range) are certainly not any better than the LM-700 I own (imo). I'm not shopping for an upgrade or replacement - this one is a keeper. But - you might hear something different than me.

MountainBoy,
    You did mention being open to other suggestions, so here's mine. I upgraded from a Michael Kelly to a Silverangel made by Ken Ratcliff a little over a year ago and the difference is unbelievable. Not only that, but I have only played a handful of mandolins that I would consider giving up my SA for (a Kimble F5 and a couple Gibson master models). Not to say there aren't a ton of great mandolins out there, but from all of the Collings, Webers, Eastmans, Altmans, Gibsons, Kentuckys, etc... I have played, none were enough to make me want to roam (again, all great instruments). Especially for the price of my Silverangel. Right now I think Ken's no-frills A-model (like the one I have) is going for $1500, which is up near the top of your price range, but could be something to consider. Have fun choosing!

I'll second the Silverangel recommendation...I bought a gently used Econo model for just under a grand, and it's the best bargain I've played to date. It is an A style (so no scroll), but I love it and am very pleased I went that route. I also like the fact that I got a USA handmade instrument, and there's no question it's a much better instrument than my Kentucky 675-s (which admittedly was made just after their move to China and had some issues...their product is much better now than then, I believe).

I remember seeing a used Bulldog mandolin that was an F-style and was in your range...I know Barry periodically posts "econo" models in the classifieds here as well. I don't know how Barry is to work with, but I am pleased to report that Ken was very responsive to some questions I had the original owner couldn't answer (mainly about bracing). ALso, both econo owners I talked with via the classifieds here were upgrading within Ken's line, which I think says something about their experiences with him as well.

Other mandolins I considered were Breedloves (Quartz series), Weber Gallatins and Absarokas, Gibson A-9, Rigel A models, Collings MT (rarely you can find them used for 1400-1500), and Howard Morris mandolins. I think all would have been true upgrades from my 675 and I probably would have been happy with any of them, but I feel like I got a professional quality mandolin with killer tone at a great price...now if I could just play the darn thing! NFI, btw.

If you go the 1000 or 700 route, try to compare the 2 before you buy. The necks are different (I actually prefer a slightly beefier neck profile), and there are gems to be found in both lines.

Good luck...I remember that when I started looking I was amazed at what I was able to find in that price range, and it ultimately was a difficult decision!
    Chuck

Thanks for the tip. I was not familiar with the Ken Ratcliff instruments. I will check out his website. There are definitely alot of choices out there.