Thread: Noel Poeta da vila movie from Brazil

Default Noel Poeta da vila movie from Brazil

Not sure if you are aware of a great commercial film from Brazil, called Noel Poeta da vila, about Noel Rosa, who composed almost 300 sambas in his short (26 year) life. The film is a period piece, set in Rio in the early 30s, and heavily features the 'cross over ' bands of cavaquinho, flute, guitar, and other instruments of the day, the playing that marked the decline of choro's dominance and the rise of samba. (much like the 20s' jazz sound gave rise to the 30's big band styles). The film is well acted, well filmed, and has great sets, including radio stations broadcasting samba bands with full backup period actors (I swear Luis Americano can be seen in one background, along with Lacerda playing flute, the bands are that accurately portrayed).

You can't get it on Netflix, but it has been 'ripped' on the Internet, and needs some assistance with getting the right player to play the files. But it is do-able. I can't find it sold anywhere on the Internet which means it's not likely being sold in North America, and I don't speak Portuguese.

A trailer of it is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WfI6j_1swU and yes, the film has subtitles, but not on this trailer. There is a dubbed trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDb-86XgMBE as the film is known as "The Samba Poet" in the US where it's not available. Interesting how they edit the trailer differently for both markets.

Default Re: Noel Poeta da vila movie from Brazil

Thanks Al, I'll let you know if I find it!

I guess it's not all Del Vecchios down there...

Damn! that does look like the actor they got for the film. Amazing...