Thread: Help with Come Back to Sorrento please.

Default Help with Come Back to Sorrento please.

I am a total green as grass noobie (3 days) on mandolin. I want to find a tab for Come Back to Sorrento. It was my Grandfather's favorite. I would like to learn it in memory of him. I realize I will have a lot of work to do, but I want to go ahead with it.

Thanks

2. The following members say thank you to Lou Giordano for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Help with Come Back to Sorrento please.

Nice choice for a first song. It is a great melody and I still love to play it. Do you read standard notation, Lou? If so, I might direct you to Sheri Mignano's collection 'Mandolin Melodies' which has Torna a Surriento as well as many other Italian favorites that no doubt your grandfather would have enjoyed. One of the best collections out there. You can get it (along with a lot of interesting information on Italian-American mandolin tradition) from Sheri's website:

http://www.zighibaci.com/

Even though the song is widely available, I don't feel comfortable passing along copies of her material with her permission. Other versions should arrive on the thread here shortly no doubt. I do have a version in Tablature (which I find kind of annoying but sometimes useful) that I can send you if you like.

The song is quite straightforward and easy to play. It was one of the first tunes I learned on the accordion, actually. Always good to learn things by ear. I am a bit lazy so I learned to read music.

Glad to hear you are picking up the mandolin!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

4. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Nice choice for a first song. It is a great melody and I still love to play it. Do you read standard notation, Lou? If so, I might direct you to Sheri Mignano's collection 'Mandolin Melodies' which has Torna a Surriento as well as many other Italian favorites that no doubt your grandfather would have enjoyed. One of the best collections out there. You can get it (along with a lot of interesting information on Italian-American mandolin tradition) from Sheri's website:

http://www.zighibaci.com/

Even though the song is widely available, I don't feel comfortable passing along copies of her material with her permission. Other versions should arrive on the thread here shortly no doubt. I do have a version in Tablature (which I find kind of annoying but sometimes useful) that I can send you if you like.

The song is quite straightforward and easy to play. It was one of the first tunes I learned on the accordion, actually. Always good to learn things by ear. I am a bit lazy so I learned to read music.

Glad to hear you are picking up the mandolin!

Mick
    Hey Thanks Mick,

I wish I could read standard notation. I guess if I applied myself I could figure out how to play an easy song in a few days. That collection sounds great I will check out Sheri's website.

It would be great if you could share that tab so I could get started. I think the hardest part will be the tremolo.

I found a tab of Tarrantella that I am having fun with for now. I really want to learn Sorrento first.

6. The following members say thank you to Lou Giordano for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Lou, you also might consider checking out the TEF (Table Edit File) system which has a huge number of available songs for playing through it. You can download a free 'player' version or a more complex editing and composition tool. TEF files play through the system and you can speed up or slow down the playback in order to learn difficult passages. Torna a Sorrento is available as a TEF file from the Mandozine site, I believe.

Attached is a version of the song in TAB. Honestly, I find it more confusing than standard notation but to each his own. Have fun! Lots of information on the MC for helping develop tremelo. A search should turn up a lot of discussion.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torna a Sorrento.pdf  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

8. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I am looking for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeverson View Post
    I am looking for it too.
    Look above—post #4
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Just wanted to mention that if you wanted it in standard notation and tab, it is in my "French & Italian Tunes for mandolin & fiddle" book; there's also companion audio available. That is a lovely and evocative tune! https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...lin-and-Fiddle

HAL Leonard Vol. 7 Italian Classic has that in it ,and is very well arranged

I have a copy . I can send it to you via email. let me know .
    My email is brucebrown1492@gmail.com. My user name is Gus & Sophie ; my dogs

nigelgatherer

16. The following members say thank you to Nigel Gatherer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Gatherer View Post
    Nice version, in Am instead of the more common Dm or Cm versions.

Thank you for sharing this tab, Nigel! It is not only accurate but beautifully illustrated. I will enjoy using it.

nigelgatherer

You're very welcome, Terry. I love hearing about people getting use from my site.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I learned this for a wedding eons ago. Then had to relearn it for an Italian restaurant gig around ten years ago. Then revisited it during a subsequent solo gig. I ended up translating it into the Nashville number system. You can see a bit of that here, for the first line. I should have that somewhere in my files. If I find it, I'll post it.

This guitar tab may not translate very well here. But if you copy and paste it into a Wordpad or Word document, using Courier font, things should return to order. If you play guitar, or a friend does, the tab might be useful. Otherwaise, not so much. What I did was write out the notes' names, and dumped the tab. I included the tab here only in case it helps. Maybe all you need is the letters. I have it Em; familiarity with the corresponding G scale was probably why.

E F# G A B G | B B | A B C B C A | E
    1 2 3b 4 5 3b 5 5 4 5 6b 5 6b 4 8
    E F# G F# E F# | B B | A B A G F# G | E

E D# B C# D# B | C# C# | D# C# B C# D# B | C# C#

G# A B G@ F# E | A A | B C# D# C# B C# | G# G#

E D# B C# D# B | C# C# | F# E D# E F# D# | E E

E F# G F# E F# | B B | A B A G F# G | E

E F# D# C# | E C# | B D# E F# D# C# | B B

A C E | G F# E | E F# C# E | E E

E|-0------|-0------|-------------------------|------------|-------------------------|
    B|-0------|-0------|-----------------0-------|-0----0-----|-----0---1-------1-------|
    G|-0------|-0------|---------0---2-------0---|------0-----|-2-----------2-------2---|
    D|-2------|-2------|-2---4-------------------|------2-----|-------------------------|
    A|-2------|-2------|-------------------------|------------|-------------------------|
    E|-0------|-0------|-0-----------------------|-0----------|-------------------------|

E F# G A B G B B A B C B C A

E|-0----0-----|-0---2---3---2---0---2---|------------|-------------------------|------0-----|
    B|------0-----|-------------------------|-0----0-----|-----0-------------------|------0-----|
    G|------0-----|-------------------------|------0-----|-2-------2---0-------0---|------0-----|
    D|------------|-------------------------|------2-----|-----------------4-------|-2----------|
    A|------------|-0-----------------------|------------|-2-----------------------|------------|
    E|-0----------|-------------------------|-0----------|-------------------------|-0----------|

E E F# G F# E F# B B A B A G F# G E

E|-0-----------------------|------------|-------------------------|------------|-------------------------|
    B|-----4---0---2---4---0---|-2----2-----|-4---2---0---2---4---0---|-2----2-----|---------0---------------|
    G|-------------------------|------2-----|-------------------------|------1-----|-1---2-------1-----------|
    D|-------------------------|------2-----|-------------------------|------2-----|-----------------4---2---|
    A|-------------------------|-0----------|-------------------------|------------|-------------------------|
    E|-0-----------------------|------------|-------------------------|-0----------|-0-----------------------|

E D# B C# D# B C# C# D# C# B C# D# B C# C# G# A B G@ F# E

E|------0-----|-------------------------|------0-----|-0-----------------------|------------|
    B|------2-----|-0---2---4---2---0---2---|------0-----|-----4---0---2---4---0---|-2----2-----|
    G|-2----2-----|-------------------------|-1----1-----|-------------------------|------2-----|
    D|------------|-------------------------|------------|-------------------------|------2-----|
    A|-0----------|-2-----------------------|------------|-------------------------|-0----------|
    E|------------|-------------------------|-0----------|-0-----------------------|------------|

A A B C# D# C# B C# G# G# E D# B C# D# B C# C#

E|-2---0-------0---2-------|-0----0-----|-0---2---3---2---0---2---|------------|-------------------------|
    B|---------4-----------4---|------1-----|-------------------------|-0----0-----|-----0-------------------|
    G|-------------------------|------0-----|-------------------------|------0-----|-2-------2---0-------0---|
    D|-------------------------|------------|-------------------------|------2-----|-----------------4-------|
    A|-2-----------------------|-3----------|-4-----------------------|------------|-2-----------------------|
    E|-------------------------|------------|-------------------------|-0----------|-------------------------|

F# E D# E F# D# E E E F# G F# E F# B B A B A G F# G

E|------0-----|-0---2-------------|-0----------|---------0---2-----------|------------|
    B|------0-----|---------4-----2---|------2-----|-0---4-----------4---2---|-0----0-----|
    G|------1-----|-------------------|------2-----|-------------------------|------1-----|
    D|-2----------|-------------------|------2-----|-------------------------|------2-----|
    A|------------|-------------------|-0----------|-2-----------------------|------------|
    E|-0----------|-0-----------------|------------|-------------------------|-0----------|

E E F# D# C# E C# B D# E F# D# C# B B

E|-----------0----|-3-----2---0----|-0---2--------0----|-0------|-0------|
    B|------1----1----|-2--------------|---------4---------|--------|-0------|
    G|-2----2---------|-0--------------|-------------------|--------|-1------|
    D|----------------|----------------|-------------------|--------|-2------|
    A|-0--------------|----------------|-------------------|--------|-2------|
    E|----------------|-0--------------|-------------------|-0------|-0------|

A C E G F# E E F# C# E E E
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Aha. You might want to just disregard the previous post and save your sanity. This will help you put it into any key you like. The attached text file has a neater appearance (the bars line up, mostly).

TORN' A SORRENTO

1 2 3b 4 5 3b | 5 5 | 4 5 6b 5 6b 4 | 8

8 9 10b 9 8 9 | 5 5 | 4 5 4 3b 2 3b | 1

8 7 5 6 7 5 | 6 6 | 7 6 5 6 7 5 | 6 6

3 4 5 3 2 1 | 4 4 | 5 6 7 6 5 7 | 3

8 7 5 6 7 5 | 6 6 | 9 8 7 8 9 7 | 8 8

8 9 10b 9 8 9 | 5 5 | 4 5 4 3b 2 3b | 1

8 9 7 6 | 8 8 | 6 7 8 9 7 6 | 5 5

4 5 8 | 10b 9 8 | 8 9 7 8 | 8
    Attached Files Attached Files
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Attached is a version of the song in TAB. Honestly, I find it more confusing than standard notation but to each his own. Have fun! Lots of information on the MC for helping develop tremelo. A search should turn up a lot of discussion.

Mick
    thanks for posting...like you I'd rather just have staff notation....but this one uses a lot of closed fingerings and as such is pretty good.