Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: painless way to finger m7b5?

Default Re: painless way to finger m7b5?

Not very much to add here after all of these jazz monsters chime in but the OP asked about painless fingerings. Joe Pass once stated that he did not play any difficult to make chords. He tended to use that he could easily reach with his hands. His reason was that if he worked really hard to learn to play this chord that twisted his hand into shape requiring more than usual stretching etc., he would loose that much time being present with the music. His goal was to be very present with the music and respond to what was going on in the music. With that said Here is one of my favorite ways of playing Am7b5/D7(b9)/Gm.

556(Am7b5)/546(D7b9)/355(Gm).

Talk about painless.

I'm loving this discussion.

My 2 tricks for finding quick and easy m7b5 chords are:
    1) play the minor triad 1 1/2 steps up (e.g. for F#m7b5 move up 1 1/2 steps to the Am triad)

2) play a rootless dominant 7th down 1 1/2 steps (e.g. for F#m7b5 move down 1 1/2 steps to a rootless D7).

These are especially helpful when playing an octave mandolin or mandocello where the stretches are sometimes difficult.

The final voice choice depends on where I'm coming from and going to, so I try several variations to find what's most pleasing to my ears and easy on the hands. When possible, I really like the tension of the full 4 note chords.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pglasse View Post
    Just so folks don't get confused, I believe the fingering and pitches John indicated are actually in the key of G minor, thus (rather than Dm7b5 G7b9) the above example indicates Am7b5 D7b9. John, by all means let me know if I've misinterpreted.

Of course, the rest of the info in this post is (per usual) spot on. Lots of great contributions from the community here.

All the best,
    Thanks Paul, you are correct, I should slow down!

BTW Dan Bui is at Berklee now, and is a mighty fine guy and player- and we are both Paul Glasse fans!

Thanks now I can cringe a little less when that m7b5 chord symbol comes up.

A few people mentioned this Joe Pass DVD

Even if you don't play guitar it's fantastic to watch and learn from a master so at ease with his instrument. His pragmatic wisdom is a hoot.
    Last edited by Perry; Sep-22-2010 at 12:57pm. Reason: fixed wrong URL