Thread: Argentine mandolin?

Default Argentine mandolin?

I'm going to Buenos Aires in November and I'm looking for sources/examples of Argentine music played on mandolin. They must have em down there, yes?

Default Re: Argentine mandolin?

not really, no, they don't really have mandolins down here. I think you can adapt the mandolin to play nicely with some of the music down here though. Take the violin part of a tango and have some fun with it, etc. that is what I am planning on doing. I think that for mandolin you are better off landing slightly further North and enjoying some choro music in brazil...

Quote Originally Posted by robert.najlis View Post
    not really, no, they don't really have mandolins down here. I think you can adapt the mandolin to play nicely with some of the music down here though. Take the violin part of a tango and have some fun with it, etc. that is what I am planning on doing. I think that for mandolin you are better off landing slightly further North and enjoying some choro music in brazil...
    Interesting. I don't know much about Argentinian music, other than tango, but I would have thought that with all of the Italian immigrants to Argentina that there would have been at least some mandolins in the mix.

-David

No, mandolin is rare in Argentina, if at all. I speak from the perspective of being well acquainted with those who are very well versed in the music of that country. The preference seems to be for orchestra (dance) and it has varied in presentation over the past 100 years. Quite a fascinating evolution, bringing in jazz elements in the early - mid 20th century. There are still those who play the early forms, and most milongas end (in the wee hours) with the lovely early traditional tango pieces.
    So when you are there, listen to what IS there and enjoy it. There is some wonderful street music in BA (look for Aqualactica - awesome family string quartet, many compositions suggest mandolin friendly melodies), and of course, in the dance clubs. If you are in the rural areas, or attend the fairs, you may hear something leaning toward the older styles, and perhaps something special from the folk tradition.
    I have a lovely solid wood charango from there which I keep working to improve at. I'll never be a Luis Velazquez, except in my dreams!
    Last edited by Jonathan Reinhardt; Sep-23-2010 at 6:26pm.

argentine charango? I also play uke so this might be a good connection. Oscar Aleman played the cavaquino, is there any of that in BA? Joel

Well you could learn music from some of those accordion players ,
    after all you both share the same notes..
    it's the ornamentation, you have to color the notes a little..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture