Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Mandolin Camp is Best?

Default Re: Which Mandolin Camp is Best?

I work from home as a graphic-designer and with a home-schooled teenage daughter, a working wife, and responsibilities at my place of worship I don't have the free time to just pop out to jams and such yet. Family first you know. But, once my teenager is out on her own I look forward to this sort of educational influence on a regular basis. In the meantime I have to play and study on my own. That's why I love this forum because I still feel connected somehow. I played in bands as a young man and know the value of playing with others for improvement (and the fun factor) so when a local chance to play and rub elbows with my fellow wizards is available I will try to make the scene -- just takes a little planning. I am interested in the Mandolin Camp idea as a way to learn. For the Camps to be of any benefit how much theory or how many songs or how much whatever is necessary to benefit, not look like a fool, or worse, drag down the class? I live in Cleveland, Ohio and there is NOT much happening here. What would be the closest Camp to me. Anyone? Thanks.
    -----
    Northfield A5 Special
    Eastman MD315, Kentucky KM-150
    OME Tupelo 12" open-back
    B&P A-Scale 12" open-back, Zach Hoyt Fretless neck w/Vega pot
    Circa 1900 S.S. Stewart Universal Favorite
    Fawley 5-string open-back, Prust fretless tackhead
    Epiphone ES335 DOT, Seagull S(6), Taylor 114ce
    (2) Old German Fiddles
    1989 Peavey Dyna-Bass

Someone on page one mentioned a good camp in West VA.

I'm also considering MANDOLIN CAMP NORTH (http://www.mugwumps.com/mcn.html) and am curious whether camp is good for someone new to mandolin.

doubleg-i haven't been to kaufman but my parents live in mansfield and you can make it to the knox/maryville area in probably 8-9 hours if you want to make it a roadtrip

i was thinking about kaufman bc it is close by BUT it runs into when i'd be going to telluride-boo. looks like i may do RGA if i can get a returned spot closer to july.

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBMB View Post
    I'm also considering MANDOLIN CAMP NORTH (http://www.mugwumps.com/mcn.html) and am curious whether camp is good for someone new to mandolin.
    Yes, it is! There's a strong focus on classes for newbies and beginners at Mandolin Camp North, with excellent, patient instructors. There are also instructor-led slow, medium, and up-to-speed jam sessions in the evening. The 2011 MCN will be held in conjunction with the new Fiddle Camp North.

Dave

P.S. Full disclosure: I have taught fiddle and mando at the last 5 MCNs.
    Last edited by Dave Reiner; Dec-02-2010 at 1:01pm. Reason: clarity
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Take a look at the Julian Family Fiddle Camp - Its this coming April. www.familyfiddlecamp.com.

Evan Marshall and Scott Gates are teaching. Not too expensive, and Julians a cool place to visit.

AE

Still searching and may yet find my answer in the archives, but wondered if anyone had an opinion on Pete Wernick's Jam Camps? There's one relatively close to us in conjunction with Merlefest I'm considering going to vs getting some lessons for a year and then trying to hit one of the more mandolin specific camps the following year...thanks in advance!
    Chuck

So in searching through the archives, most info is 2008 or older...any changes? I'm still at a beginner to advanced beginner level, so I would probably be at the LCD level mentioned earlier. If anyone's had any bad/less than satisfactory experiences with the camp itself (I'm very familiar with Y camps/bunks/food, etc and am prepared for all the craziness those factors can entail...all it takes is one bad snorer ...I'm also close enough to commute if I want ) please pm me or respond here, as I'm probably going to book unless I hear anything too prohibitive...vs just getting Merlefest tickets and trying not to screw up any parking lot jams
    Chuck

Blog Entries

I am partial to Camp Bluegrass in Levelland, TX. This coming year will be the 25th Anniversary. In addition to the individual instrument instruction there are structured Jams at various levels run by the instructors. In Levelland there is not much distraction from the music (although you can now get beer at Pizza Hut). It is also chance to listen to Joe Carr, a mandolin player of note. His condition has dampened his playing but he is still one of the funniest people in Bluegrass.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

...Beth

I second his second. :-)
    I've been twice and it's great. Something for everyone at all levels.
    Plus it's held AT the International Bluegrass Music Museum. And it's only a few miles from Rosine, Kentucky, birthplace of Bill Monroe. This year there will be a HUGE celebration of Monroe's 100th birthday around the Mando Camp which will be September 9-11, 2011 in Owensboro, KY.

http://www.bluegrass-museum.org/general/mandoCamps.php

Thanks Beth. Now that it's 2011, it's time to settle on a camp before they all fill up. Your suggestion has lots of added benefits. Also, I just finished reading Can't You Hear Me Callin', the biography of Bill Monroe; and just watched Bill Monroe: The Father of Bluegrass on DVD. So, I'm on a bit of a Monroe kick lately.

This may just be the camp of choice this year.
    Cheers, Ken
    To be less wrong than yesterday

12. The following members say thank you to HaveMercy for this post:

I know this is an older thread, but for future reference I'll add my two cents. I've been to both Kaufman Kamp and Nashcamp. Both were great experiences.

Monroe Mandolin Camp I feel I would have gotten more out of if I were a more advanced player at that point in time. It's a great camp, for the Monroe doctrine, but it is pretty advanced material. I am looking forward to going back next year.

This year, instead of going to Monroe Mandolin Camp, I went to Nashcamp with my band and what a blast we had! I got some incredible instruction from an instructor whom I think is a FANTASTIC instructor, and I also got great coaching for the band during band lab. The first part of the day is with your instrument, and the second part of the day is in "band". Eventually you perform at a famous nashville music joint on saturday night. I can't recommend it highly enough.

For the advanced player, I'd say monroe, for those looking for fun who are up to intermediate level, I'd say nashcamp.

That being said, Kaufman Kamp sounds mind blowingly awesome.

I'd recommend the acoustic music camp at Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, TN. Adam Steffey would be the instructor. It takes place in July.

I'm considering River of the West of (RoW) in Oregon this June. My background is classical, which I play regularly. But I don't have a lot of experience jamming or playing rhythm. I have been working on it when I can, going to some slow jams here and there, and little by little I'm getting better. Still, I have a long way to go when it comes to jamming.

What do people think of RoW, generally and for someone with my background? I'm wondering if it'll be over my head. Thanks. bb

The Swannanoa Gathering is an outstanding camp that offers a range of classes for all interests and levels. Great faculty, concerts, jamming, highly recommended.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Alter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post
    I'm considering River of the West of (RoW) in Oregon this June. My background is classical, which I play regularly. But I don't have a lot of experience jamming or playing rhythm. I have been working on it when I can, going to some slow jams here and there, and little by little I'm getting better. Still, I have a long way to go when it comes to jamming.

What do people think of RoW, generally and for someone with my background? I'm wondering if it'll be over my head. Thanks. bb
    Hi BB, ROW Camp is a very fun experience. I went for the first time in 2014 and will be going this summer. Brian Oberlin is a fantastic player and a really nice guy. I love Don and Emory and am looking forward to experiencing Evan and Jordan this time. It's limited to about 50 campers and at just 3 days (Thurs aft thru Sun morn) it gets things done. Brian sets the schedule so you rotate thru each instructor once and still have time for ensemble practice and jamming, the food is excellent and the setting is gorgeous right above the Columbia River Gorge near Portland. The accomodations are a bit sparse with shared rooms but it's only for a few days.

When I went in 2014 I was still pretty new to the mandolin but found that I fit right in and had fun. There is a large classical presence there as Brian conducts/runs the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra so I think you'll find it just the place to get some classical playing done.

There was alot of BG jamming but with so many classical players they would get together and jam as well, I enjoyed listening to them as I don't get the opportunity to hear that often.

I think you'll enjoy it. Have you seen Brian's new tune...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

Since this thread has been revived I thought I'd add my thoughts. I've been to Kaufman a few times and it's a very fun, well run camp. The Maryville College campus is easy to get to, accomodations are nice, food is good, instructors and classes are good and non-stop jamming, nightly concerts...it's a great experience.

River of the West Mandolin Camp is nice, small and short but it feels just right. The instructors are great, setting above the Columbia River Gorge is just outside Portland, OR, food is great, accomodations are a bit sparse with shared rooms.

Targhee Music Camp is held the week before the BG festival at the Grand Targhee Ski Resort in WY not far from Idaho Falls, ID/Jackson Hole, WY. About 100 campers, classes held Mon-Thurs, nightly concerts, jamming and a ride to the top of the mountain for a jam on the last day of camp. One can stay at the lodge or rent one of the many vacation rentals in the area.

This year I'm going to the Fishing Musician Camp run by John Lowell and Ben Winship and I plan on getting to the Montana Fiddle Camp one of these summers.

21. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Fishing Musician Camp Now that sounds like the one i need to go to, i doubt this year but maybe next year just asked my wife she wants to go also.
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

23. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

I've attended Mandolin Camp North, the March Mandolin Festival, and Monroe Mandolin Camp. I love all of them and will try to attend as often as I can.

It's natural and appropriate for beginning and intermediate players to be attracted to camps, but I wanted to make a general point that players of all levels can get something out of these camps. If you feel like you have plateaued, attending a camp is a great way to seek inspiration.

Monroe Mandolin Camp probably has the most advanced students of those three: I learned a lot from fellow students, some of whom were professionals themselves. Some classes felt like master seminars; everybody recorded each other. Monroe Camp was of the best intellectual experiences I've ever had.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

25. The following members say thank you to Amanda Gregg for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ..... It all depends on where you are at with your music and what you are looking to learn or do. Nash Camp has a single class for all level players. In this approach the intermediate level players seem to be the primary target for the concepts and material being taught. While the advanced and beginner level players are not ignored a great deal of the lesson is either something that is old hat or a constant stretch to assimilate. The evening jamming was good and the vittles were most excellent. Monroe Camp is for the Monroe true believers. If you are interested in all things Monroe it is definitely the camp to attend. Workshops on mandolin style , vocal style and harmony and a plethora of Big Mon stories from folks that were there. While a jam of a dozen mandolin playing the same tune is not to my tastes it is a fine way to learn Mon's tunes. The meals were "interesting". The Swannanoa Gathering is a most excellent experience for the young and restless. The Warren Wilson College is built on the hills of western North Carolina so going anywhere is a walk both up and down hill. That being said the teaching staff , classes offered , food , jamming possibilities are all first class. The food is very good in the college Cafeteria. The only drawback is in the preregistration. You have to send in a Benjamin to pre register before you get to know what all is being taught. I will say I have never been disappointed in the class offerings or the instructors. This camp is geared more toward intermediate and advanced players in a wide variety of styles. Kaufman Kamp, my personal favorite, partly because I have friends I see there each Summer, has "it all". Classes, instructors , all levels taught , the best jamming of any camp I have attended and at a campus that is easy to get around and beautiful. The only drawback is the food is "mundane" ...... not bad, just not inspired. There are however many excellent restaurants around Maryville if you want to head out for a meal. Instructor concerts at any camp are always great and not to be missed. Gatherings of top flight musicians playing that you would not usually see together is just too much fun. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    ...The Swannanoa Gathering is a most excellent experience for the young and restless. The Warren Wilson College is built on the hills of western North Carolina so going anywhere is a walk both up and down hill. That being said the teaching staff , classes offered , food , jamming possibilities are all first class. The food is very good in the college Cafeteria. The only drawback is in the preregistration. You have to send in a Benjamin to pre register before you get to know what all is being taught. I will say I have never been disappointed in the class offerings or the instructors.
    Thanks for the kind words.

However, just to clarify, pre-registration with a deposit is not required, but it does give you first crack at the classes once the catalog is available in late Feb.

Once the pre-registrants have signed up for their classes, the catalog goes out to the rest of our mailing list, the online version is uploaded and general registration begins.

We are a popular camp with limited class enrollment, and pre-registration is the best way to get the classes you want, but it's not mandatory.

General registration begins next week. I hope to see many of you this summer.

Cheers!
    Jim Magill, Director
    The Swannanoa Gathering
    Warren Wilson College
    PO Box 9000
    Asheville, NC 28815-9000
    828-298-3434
    jmagill@warren-wilson.edu
    www.swangathering.com

I'm going to the Mando-Banjo week at Swannanoa this year. I went last year and enjoyed one of the greatest weeks of playing and learning music that I've ever experienced.